British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

9 minutes ago, MattK said:

I'm not sure what your point is. Tesla has been investing in developing technology, bringing new models to the market and scaling up capacity. You don't aim to make a profit in the early years when you have a longer term strategy in place.

As for Chinese EVs, any company can outstrip any other. Just look at what Tesla has done with their battery and driverless technologies, both considered to be as much as ten years ahead of their competitors. My point is, if you're a British youngster and you want to work for the most valuable and technologically advanced car manufacturer on the planet, thanks to Brexit you do not have that opportunity without leaving the country.

If I was an American company wanting to invest in Europe, logically, geographically, I would have been looking at mainland Europe rather then the uk anyway. There may well have been other reasons to consider, but geographically it would be mainland Europe.

2 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

If I was an American company wanting to invest in Europe, logically, geographically, I would have been looking at mainland Europe rather then the uk anyway. There may well have been other reasons to consider, but geographically it would be mainland Europe.

For pure manufacturing I'd agree. However for the value added activities like research, design and development, physical local is less important compared to access to the best and brightest - something that Brexit has just made more difficult.

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Prior to 2020 what profits has Tesla made in motor manufacture?

Oxford Biomedica was founded 25 years ago and as far as I'm aware has never made a profit. However, successive investors have seen value in the company all along, which is quite fortunate given that it's now producing one of the COVID vaccines. 

The problem is that if innovative companies are increasingly not choosing the UK to locate, then you won't develop the high-tech skills needed to generate national wealth in the global economy.  

Rather comically, I also just found out that part of the British Standards Institute has moved to the Republic of Ireland so that it can continue its work. You couldn't make it up! :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It’s not that hard to Google... :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55565166

As E I Addio said, nothing to see here:

But the Stena official is confident about Holyhead's long-term prospects.

Mr Davies expects more goods to start moving through the port again in the longer term, saying the route fits well with just-in-time supply chains.

"The advantages of a land bridge are huge," he said.

"There's a lot of uncertainty over Dover-Calais over the Covid testing, and over the administration there, but once people get used to that then we expect to see normal levels return.

"The market always takes time to adjust. People take time to adjust."

More needless scaremongering exposed!

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

I think you have to ask yourself why they'd consider that now, given that US companies have traditionally chosen the UK for their European Headquarters. 

Geography doesn't really make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things - the likes of the Netherlands and Luxembourg aren't particularly any more centrally located in Europe than the UK.  

10 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Rather comically, I also just found out that part of the British Standards Institute has moved to the Republic of Ireland so that it can continue its work. You couldn't make it up! :D

Thought I read that the leave EU website also left the UK to go to Ireland :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

But the Stena official is confident about Holyhead's long-term prospects.

A company representative is hardly going to say "I think we're screwed and will probably have to shut down our operations in Holyhead". That would drive any remaining business away even quicker... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

A company representative is hardly going to say "I think we're screwed and will probably have to shut down our operations in Holyhead". That would drive any remaining business away even quicker... :rolleyes:

And he’s hardly going to say such a thing if it’s not true either is he ? We are not talking about their entire operations here , we are talking about some uneconomic OFF PEAK sailings in the busiest route in the Irish Sea, plus a few into Fishguard.

Some why are these off peak sailings uneconomic ? 

1. For one thing in the weeks prior to Brexit there was stockpiling going on so traffic was reportedly 35 % above average. Now you don’t need to be Einstein to work out that a dropping off point will come.

2.Secondly, by their own admission Stenna operate a two tier operation, passengers and frieight. The passenger income was hit by the Irish Governments. Coronavirus travel ban.

3. According to the Revenue Commissioner there were problems caused by Documentation. This was Brexit related.  But try to think it through. This trade is important to the UK Government, the Irish Government and the EU general. Clearly they are not going to sit back and let it all go under, for the sake of sorting a few documents out .In fact the Revenue Comissioner is reportedly on the case already.

So, although you are not the sharpest tool in the box Hump, even you must realise that no businessman closes down a successful operation on the basis of a short-term downturn. These things have to be judged over an extended period. If you come back in two months and things have not picked up, then fine, thats a good point but unless and until that happens there’s nothing to see here. Move along please.

WHEN a plane crashes it is huge news. Nobody talks about the thousands that remain in the air. When a lorry gets stopped at Dover or elsewhere because they haven't provided the correct documentation it is news. The hundreds passing through unhindered are not. 

Sounds like you just did make it up.  The BSI still has its headquarters in West London, but it operates thought nearly 200 countries around the world and has around 90 offices in 30 countries.

Nothing to see here.

Of course not, but if they’re seeing a re-focus to freight going direct on their routes from France to Ireland there would be no harm to them as a company saying that they are investing more in those routes.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Of course not, but if they’re seeing a re-focus to freight going direct on their routes from France to Ireland there would be no harm to them as a company saying that they are investing more in those routes.

Well yes, great for Stena (which isn't a UK company ultimately), but less good for the local Holyhead economy and wider UK economy if Irish truckers aren't going to be using the port or spending as much money as before.

Brexiteers think that freight going direct from France to Ireland is a win for Brexit...? :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

Sounds like you just did make it up.  The BSI still has its headquarters in West London, but it operates thought nearly 200 countries around the world and has around 90 offices in 30 countries.

The clue was in the statement part of BSI... :rolleyes: