British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

I am not sure that holds true.Lot of the time foreign politicians say "England" anyway when talking about the UK,even today.You even get news items on foreign channels that get it all wrong.Sure I saw in recent times an item that mentioned Wales,England,as if Wales was a town in England

It is isn't it? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :blink:

:P

It is isn't it? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :blink:

:P

One rather unimportant(in world political terms) one that used to annoy me,was on one foreign speedway website they always used to put "English Final",when the title is quite clearly British Final and for instance at the time Andrew Tully was in the line-up.I pointed the mistake out,but the person never took it on board as far as I have seen......

• Like 1

One rather unimportant(in world political terms) one that used to annoy me,was on one foreign speedway website they always used to put "English Final",when the title is quite clearly British Final and for instance at the time Andrew Tully was in the line-up.I pointed the mistake out,but the person never took it on board as far as I have seen......

I don't know - these Johnny Foreigners - you can never trust them to get it right can you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::unsure::blink:

• Like 2

If the vote is to leave the EU , what is to become of the 2.5 Million Brits currently living and working in the EU ? I have a friend who's parents moved to Portugal 20-25 years ago, they are both in their 80's and are terrfied of loosing their home and being deported back to the UK, where they have nowhere to go, every time someone from UKIP or a Tory Eurosceptic opens their mouths it makes matters worse for them. They have this vision of the moment the result is declared in favor of leaving the Portugese Police will kick their door down and whisk them straight to the Airport.

For what its worth I think the Ex pats should have had a vote in this referendum, its going to affect them

Edited by Seymour Dix

If the vote is to leave the EU , what is to become of the 2.5 Million Brits currently living and working in the EU ?

Precisely. Some will have residency rights if they've been there a while, but yes it's a serious issue that those down in Devon don't consider.

For what its worth I think the Ex pats should have had a vote in this referendum, its going to affect them

I think you can apply for a postal vote for a number of years after being out of the country, but I'm sure many expats will find a way to vote regardless. Opinion polls also don't take the 2.5 million into account, which is probably an underestimate figure as well since many Brits are either temporary migrants or simply don't bother to register in another country.

Precisely. Some will have residency rights if they've been there a while, but yes it's a serious issue that those down in Devon don't consider.

I think you can apply for a postal vote for a number of years after being out of the country, but I'm sure many expats will find a way to vote regardless. Opinion polls also don't take the 2.5 million into account, which is probably an underestimate figure as well since many Brits are either temporary migrants or simply don't bother to register in another country.

That's one question I do know the answer to. You can vote for 15 years. I tried to get a postal vote for the general election but couldn't as I had moved just over 15 years ago.

I am not sure that holds true.Lot of the time foreign politicians say "England" anyway when talking about the UK,even today.You even get news items on foreign channels that get it all wrong.Sure I saw in recent times an item that mentioned Wales,England,as if Wales was a town in England

Wales is a village and a civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is on the border of South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.Wikipedia

• Like 1

Wales was legally England from 1746 until relatively recently.

Welsh Bicknor was also a Welsh enclave in England at one point.

Wales is a village and a civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is on the border of South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.Wikipedia

Well the map they showed was Wales,Wales,not some village in West Riding,South Yorkshire or Upper Derbyshire

Wales was legally England from 1746 until relatively recently.

I guess by relatively recently you mean like the last couple of years when this was in the news and not 1933 when hardly anyone had a tv and even if someone down our street did have a tv I wasn't born,so couldn't have watched the news then anyfingway!!!!! :P

Edited by iris123

In .

In

Only one Vote required - or are you cheating?

Just seen the result of an on line poll in the Daily Mail 91% to 9% in favour of leaving - may as well cancel the referendum now !

Edited by Seymour Dix

Just seen the result of an on line poll in the Daily Mail 91% to 9% in favour of leaving - may as well cancel the referendum now !

I still think those of us who want to leave Europe have a chance. A small chance, yes, but definitely a chance in a fair Vote.

I don't believe any Poll after the last General Election.

Surely that vote is totally inaccurate? most folk i speak to want out and most of them have decent jobs.
  • Like 1

don't be silly, the in vote will never get as much as 9%!!!!!!!!

Edited by ColinMills
  • Like 1