British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

53 minutes ago, dj350z said:

I emailed Greg Hands over 2 weeks ago regarding the issue of doubling up of VAT duty on imported raw materials. No response, they are all just hiding as they have no answer as the ‘deal’ (if you can call it that) was rushed through without it being properly ratified just so Johnson can say ‘Brexit done’!! 
By the way, before the usual detractors come on with excuses, I blame both sides!

The doubling of VAT is a disgrace that is attributable directly to the HMRC and the government should have dealt with it immediately that people became aware of what is happening. There is no excuse that I can see for this being allowed to continue as it should be easy to rectify temporarily to allow companies to operate and then deal with properly over time. 

• Like 2

I haven't posted on here for a while now.

To justify my thoughts and contempt for the European Union I give you the idiot Macron, who tried to devalue the Oxford/Zeneca Vaccine. The incredibly slow Vaccination rate by the European Union. Their inability to order enough vaccines for their people.

Oh, I nearly forgot - their willingness to cause trouble in the island of Ireland by interfering with the Good Friday Agreement (they never even told the Irish about their plans either). Their President had a very embarrassing time over that.

I think that shows just how pathetic the organisation within the European Union is, and how it responds to a crisis. Especially by the idiot Macron saying, for political reasons, how useless the Astro/Zeneca Vaccine is, thus putting off the people of Europe from getting the vaccine, thus costing lives. Now, of course, he has changed his mind - too late - most Europeans will say there is no smoke without fire and turn it down. Can they get any more inept?

Yes - all in all - I'm glad we are out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Further admission from the UK government that the Brexit trade deal they negotiated was garbage... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-change-uk-eu-latest-b1811909.html

NOT entirely. Good to see that Boris and Frost are prepared to make changes to the Irish protocol unilaterally on the back of EU nonsense. 

Incidentally, HA and The Independent. A marriage made in heaven. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, The White Knight said:

I think that shows just how pathetic the organisation within the European Union is, and how it responds to a crisis. Especially by the idiot Macron saying, for political reasons, how useless the Astro/Zeneca Vaccine is, thus putting off the people of Europe from getting the vaccine, thus costing lives. Now, of course, he has changed his mind - too late - most Europeans will say there is no smoke without fire and turn it down. Can they get any more inept?

It's funny how you only pop up when you think you have something to gloat about with respect to the EU. One has to wonder why you - along with so many other (Express-reading in particular) Brexiteers - are still so obsessed with it?

The EU has hardly covered itself it glory over the vaccination programme, but neither does that absolve the UK government's inept handling of COVID from the beginning. Or indeed the inept Brexit deal it negotiated which is now making the economic damage even worse. 

The UK will be back to the EU cap-in-hand to re-negotiate before long. It's already acknowledging it's screwed-up in Northern Ireland where the paramilitaries are also starting to mobilise again. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Good to see that Boris and Frost are prepared to make changes to the Irish protocol unilaterally on the back of EU nonsense. 

The UK negotiated and agreed to it, so who's the fool there? :rolleyes:

Fact remains though - Northern Ireland is now a different customs territory to the rest of the UK, therefore you need customs processes. It's international law, not nonsense. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Further admission from the UK government that the Brexit trade deal they negotiated was garbage... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-change-uk-eu-latest-b1811909.html

I hate to admit it, but nearly everything this Government has done is garbage. They are a bunch of incompetents...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It's funny how you only pop up when you think you have something to gloat about with respect to the EU. One has to wonder why you - along with so many other (Express-reading in particular) Brexiteers - are still so obsessed with it?

The EU has hardly covered itself it glory over the vaccination programme, but neither does that absolve the UK government's inept handling of COVID from the beginning. Or indeed the inept Brexit deal it negotiated which is now making the economic damage even worse. 

The UK will be back to the EU cap-in-hand to re-negotiate before long. It's already acknowledging it's screwed-up in Northern Ireland where the paramilitaries are also starting to mobilise again. 

RARELY see the Daily Express ... it went downhill after I stopped working for them:rolleyes: More of a Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph reader these days. Leaving politics aside, content of the DM is impressive, not least the sport pages despite their (and other nationals) obsession with soccer. 

13 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The UK negotiated and agreed to it, so who's the fool there? :rolleyes:

Fact remains though - Northern Ireland is now a different customs territory to the rest of the UK, therefore you need customs processes. It's international law, not nonsense. 

YOU don't think that preventing Northern Ireland from importing potatoes from England if they have any resemblance of dirt on them is a nonsense when previously there were no such issues?

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU don't think that preventing Northern Ireland from importing potatoes from England if they have any resemblance of dirt on them is a nonsense when previously there were no such issues?

Indeed. Why was the agreement signed then? Probably didn’t read that section just like the fisheries minister admitted! 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MORE likely that no one thought the EU would be so petty... 

That's what happens when you insist on becoming a third country. Would be no different if you want to export potatoes to the US or Australia where Brexiteers seem think they're going to replace the lost EU trade.

Welcome to the realities of global trade. Didn't you read that on the side of the bus...? :D

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

That's what happens when you insist on becoming a third country. Would be no different if you want to export potatoes to the US or Australia where Brexiteers seem think they're going to replace the lost EU trade.

Welcome to the realities of global trade. Didn't you read that on the side of the bus...? :D

WE are not a third country (except in your eyes, being anti-British) ... US and Australia unlike Northern Ireland not part of the United Kingdom ... what has what was on the bus got to do with it? 

Edited by PHILIPRISING

FROM the DT (probably not in The Independent) ...

Boris Johnson will act unilaterally to give supermarkets and their suppliersmore time to adapt to post-Brexit trade arrangements in Northern Ireland in a major escalation of tensions with Brussels. The Prime Minister told the Commons: "The position of Northern Ireland within the UK internal market is rock solid and guaranteed... We leave nothing off the table in order to ensure we get this right."Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland Secretary, confirmed that the UK is extending the grace period for supermarkets agreed with the EU last year by five months. 

• Like 1