European Union - In Or Out?

42 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

United Europe - that's a laugh. 

United Kingdom - that's a laugh.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The White Knight said:

No mention of France I see,

Only twice in 3 paragraphs!!

I believe it is pretty much accepted that the UK death figure is not accurate - people are being included in the figure who simply should not be there or are all the news reports of families challenging the mention of Covid on death certificates all wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TonyE said:

I believe it is pretty much accepted that the UK death figure is not accurate - people are being included in the figure who simply should not be there or are all the news reports of families challenging the mention of Covid on death certificates all wrong.

Thing is tho, if you're using a test that can find anything in anybody,,, it may be simpler to link everything to one thing.

4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well brilliant after 124,000 deaths which is 40% more than France which has a similar population. :rolleyes:

The UK economy has also shrunk by 10% compared to 7.4% for the EU, which is the worst for 100 years and getting on for being the worst in recorded history. 

But at least there's (sort of) blue passports again, even if they are French made and you can't actually travel anywhere anymore. :D

Talking of blue passports, might that not be a nice sideline for Shovlar, posting framed passport covers to all those expats in Europe?

Just saying.  Some great ideas are right in front of you.  :D

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well brilliant after 124,000 deaths which is 40% more than France which has a similar population:rolleyes:

The UK economy has also shrunk by 10% compared to 7.4% for the EU, which is the worst for 100 years and getting on for being the worst in recorded history. 

But at least there's (sort of) blue passports again, even if they are French made and you can't actually travel anywhere anymore. :D

But the area and population density are nowhere near similar.

UK has 67.89m people to France's 65.27m.

UK area is 243,610 sq k whereas France is 549,087 sq k.

UK population density is 278.7 per sq k, France is 118.9 per sq k. The population density of England alone is 432 per sq k.

Must make a difference.

Edited by Vincent Blachshadow
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

But the area and population density are nowhere near similar.

UK has 67.89m people to France's 65.27m.

UK area is 243,610 sq k whereas France is 549,087 sq k.

UK population density is 278.7 per sq k, France is 118.9 per sq k. The population density of England alone is 432 per sq k.

Must make a difference.

Doubt it makes the slightest difference to Covid deaths.

If only a quarter of each population lived in an urban area that would be enough to produce 100,000 deaths.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Doubt it makes the slightest difference to Covid deaths.

If only a quarter of each population lived in an urban area that would be enough to produce 100,000 deaths.

We had this discussion on the Covid thread and I have no intention of going through it again on here. Humph stated the populations of the UK and France are very similar, I just added a couple of facts to that.

You don't believe population density has much effect on the spread, I do. We'll leave it at that.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

We had this discussion on the Covid thread and I have no intention of going through it again on here. Humph stated the populations of the UK and France are very similar, I just added a couple of facts to that.

You don't believe population density has much effect on the spread, I do. We'll leave it at that.

Yes, your argument is defeated by Sweden which has only 12,000 deaths despite Stockholm having a population of 1 million and another 4 million Swedes living in cities and towns, regardless of the fact that its overall density is low due to the other 5 million being spread wide and far.

An overall density figure for a country is practically irrelevant if a significant proportion live in urban areas.

Although to be fair you do have a point if it’s a comparison per million of the population.

Edited by DC2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

If ever there was evidence how incompetent the BoJo government is, this is it...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-vote-ratification-boris-johnson-b1812404.html

If he was planning to violate the agreement then he should at least have waited until the EU ratified it. :rolleyes:

As Dick Crossman told me,  "never trust a Tory"  !

Edited by jrs
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, jrs said:

As Dick Crossman told me,  "never trust a Tory"  !

blimey you are older than I thought if you have actually spoken to  Dick Crossman

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

Correct. At the very start of this pandemic, when serious numbers of deaths due to COVID,. the comparison with the deaths in the UK, Spain and Italy and the other countries was population density in practically every comparison. I see others now trying to rewrite history. :nono:

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

blimey you are older than I thought if you have actually spoken to  Dick Crossman

Yes, but obviously some people feel more comfortable looking in the past. :D