British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The whole failure of Brexit began because a weak Prime Minister failed to stand up to the bigoted wing of his party. He then went to Brussels to 're-negotiate' a number of issues, and rather than the second-largest financial contributor to the EU telling it that it was going to exercise existing treaty clauses, he simply accepted being told what he couldn't do by the former Luxembourg PM. 

But the reality is that there had been years of lies and misinformation propagated the eurosceptics through the conduits of the populist media, that was always going to be very hard to combat with technocratic arguments no matter that the economic and to some extent political (especially in Ireland) welfare of the UK dependent upon it. Outright lies from the Leave Campaign such as the 350 million per week going to the EU, and racist posters showing coloured people queuing up were also allowed to go unchallenged, when in fact there should have been prosecutions over those. 

And ultimately - no matter what Brexiteers may claim - it did largely come down to appealing to those who didn't like the number of funny foreigners in the country, no matter than they were providing them with healthcare services and harvesting their food. People rarely want to connect those dots when you start down that road no matter how eloquent the opposing arguments. 

Ultimately it doesn’t matter what you believe because we have left so the argument is academic. However if there were posters that were racist and should have been prosecuted one has to ask why the Remain Campaign didn’t call them out.

However much you try to hang it on racism the fact is that the elephant in the room was not racism per se but numbers, which even the EU acknowledged and that was why they offered the emergency brake. I befriended a couple of Poles who happened to be speedway fans and even took them to a meeting and I felt really sorry for them having to work 7 years in a rubbish job in Poundland before they could get a half decent job in the NHS, and living in a tiny council flat in a block totally unsuited to bring up a family but that situation is not going to be improved by people piling in quicker than we can accommodate them. Hence we had people living in what can only be described as shanty towns around North London, pretty much as you would expect to see in somewhere like Soweto.

34 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT sure what the facts were other than Cameron made a dog's dinner off his attempt to negotiate a deal. HA's likes to insult and ridicule those who voted to Leave, that we are of inferior intelligence and intellect to Remainers, that we were swayed by a poster on a bus and our racist attitudes which is actually a load of bo**ocks. Millions of people wanted to Leave the EU long before the referendum and the various campaigns that preceded it. 

We had our opinion and judging by recent polls, and the EU's cock-ups with vaccination and their petty attempt to stop AstraZeneca sending vaccines here while at the same time saying they will not allow them to be used by millions of their own citizens, that hasn't changed.

No one will deny that there have been border problems but to say, as does HA and his ilk, that it is all down to the UK not realising what they had signed up for, is also manifestly stupid. 

Some members of the EU are determined to try and rub the UK's nose in the dirt as a lesson to other countries who might be looking for an exit and are refusing to show any modicum of common sense. 

But, of course, I wouldn't expect bigoted (to use one of HA's words) Remainers to accept that any fault lies across the Channel. 

I find it curious how even though I’ve not actually insulted or ridiculed any individual Brexiteer on here - and indeed I was referring to the architects of Brexit in my most recent posts - how quickly they take umbrage at things that have not been personally directed at them at all. Perhaps it really is a case of ‘if the cap fits’ though...? :D

As for the EU “rubbing the UK’s nose in the dirt”, why do you care? Thought it was all “they need us more than we need them” and sunny uplands after Brexit, so it shouldn’t be affecting the economy at all in accordance with Brexit philosophy. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

However much you try to hang it on racism the fact is that the elephant in the room was not racism per se but numbers, which even the EU acknowledged and that was why they offered the emergency brake. I befriended a couple of Poles who happened to be speedway fans and even took them to a meeting and I felt really sorry for them having to work 7 years in a rubbish job in Poundland before they could get a half decent job in the NHS, and living in a tiny council flat in a block totally unsuited to bring up a family but that situation is not going to be improved by people piling in quicker than we can accommodate them. Hence we had people living in what can only be described as shanty towns around North London, pretty much as you would expect to see in somewhere like Soweto.

Crap and insufficient housing existed long before the UK joined the EU, and it’s hardly that London and the wider UK hasn’t experienced waves of immigration for the past several centuries. So it’s a bit ridiculous to be blaming immigrants for coming to fill the jobs that need doing, whilst the UK Government has essentially allowed parts of England, Wales and Scotland to be depopulated because of a total lack of industry and investment there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Crap and insufficient housing existed long before the UK joined the EU, and it’s hardly that London and the wider UK hasn’t experienced waves of immigration for the past several centuries. So it’s a bit ridiculous to be blaming immigrants for coming to fill the jobs that need doing, whilst the UK Government has essentially allowed parts of England, Wales and Scotland to be depopulated because of a total lack of industry and investment there.

How much longer are you going on with this diatribe. Do you not know we have left the EU

Edited by mickthemuppet

2 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

How much longer are you going on with this diatribe. Do you not know we have left the EU

Why are you still here and reading it then? It’s almost like you’re realising what a screw-up Brexit was... :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Why are you still here and reading it then? It’s almost like you’re realising what a screw-up Brexit was... :D

As  we have left the EU and that is permanent  why do you not say something constructive about the future and not the past

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

When did I at any time on the thread say insufficient housing never existed long before we joined the EU ?

When did I at any time on the thread say the UK hasn’t experienced waves of immigration for the past several centuries?

Most importantly when did I at anytime on the thread blame immigrants for doing the jobs that need doing ?

This is the problem with you, when unable to confront the point being made you sidestep it by going off at these tangents.

46 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the benefits of leaving, I have detected none so far.

'The founder of a Scottish dog food business has told how Brexit forced him to move to France after his exports to the EU were halted because of the new trade barriers in place since 1 January.' Guardian today

for example

I have listed the benefits to me so far below:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I find it curious how even though I’ve not actually insulted or ridiculed any individual Brexiteer on here - and indeed I was referring to the architects of Brexit in my most recent posts - how quickly they take umbrage at things that have not been personally directed at them at all. Perhaps it really is a case of ‘if the cap fits’ though...? :D

As for the EU “rubbing the UK’s nose in the dirt”, why do you care? Thought it was all “they need us more than we need them” and sunny uplands after Brexit, so it shouldn’t be affecting the economy at all in accordance with Brexit philosophy. :rolleyes:

WHEN have I, or indeed most Leavers, said "they need us more than we need them." 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

As  we have left the EU and that is permanent  why do you not say something constructive about the future and not the past

Nothing is ever permanent, and you'll see it all be rolled back in the next few years as governments try to undo the economic damage they've caused. 

Many Brexit voters will also have moved on, and they'll be more realisation from the remainder about how they were led the garden path. 

6 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHEN have I, or indeed most Leavers, said "they need us more than we need them." 

Maybe not you, but enough of the loony wing did. I'd guess it was ploppy,TWK and Sid off the top of my head

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Maybe not you, but enough of the loony wing did. I'd guess it was ploppy,TWK and Sid off the top of my head

Wrong again oh lorded plastic kraut :D If you can find where i've said it , that would be nice ;)

49 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Nothing is ever permanent, and you'll see it all be rolled back in the next few years as governments try to undo the economic damage they've caused. 

Many Brexit voters will also have moved on, and they'll be more realisation from the remainder about how they were led the garden path. 

You will find that a lot of remainers have changed their mind since the vote,not us brexiteers.

49 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Wont happen. In the next few years so much will be invested outside of the eu (like trade deals etc) that rejoining would be a monumental backward step. Plus the French would veto anyway as it prefers us out of the way and the terms would be similar to a country having lost a war. As i said , it just wont happen , its not the hokey cokey.

• Like 1