Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

A poll commissioned by the Express can't be taken seriously. 

Neither can your posts be taken seriously when , in breach of forum rules you feel compelled to edit my post in order to score a point .

 The point being made  was, ( if you had bothered to read the post properly) that it only proves that polls are unreliable and the public are fickle and that its absolute nonsense to keep quoting them as if they carry any weight. 

Why do you constantly find the need to twist what is being said ?  Don't answer that, we know why.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You clearly dont understand the function of capital letters in the English  language. 

However we now know that a Union leader reported it to the Police and there was no prosecution so it seems no laws were broken.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

No, I'm afraid it's already obvious Brexit has been a complete disaster, and many Brexit voters are starting to realise they've been had.... :D

Its rather more obvious that the #FBPE lunatic fringe on here still cant deal with the reality of leaving the eu and being ruled by Brussels. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, E I Addio said:

The biggest stripping of citizens rights in history  ? How many citizens have been conscripted to stop a bullet at the Somme or get shot out of the sky over Berlin, or sent to an internment camp? 

Think you'll find that RAF aircrews were generally if not entirely volunteers during WW2, and British Subjects were generally not sent to internment camps unless they had obvious Nazi sympathies (and it was still a very small number). 

Probably wouldn't have been that many conscripts at the Somme, given that conscription had only recently been introduced and volunteers still outnumbered them even by the end of the war. But conscription still only applied to a relatively small percentage of men, and neither during WW1 or WW2 were civilians forced to stay at home and could generally travel freely, with the exception of some sensitive areas. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Think you'll find that RAF aircrews were generally if not entirely volunteers during WW2, and British Subjects were generally not sent to internment camps unless they had obvious Nazi sympathies (and it was still a very small number). 

Probably wouldn't have been that many conscripts at the Somme, given that conscription had only recently been introduced and volunteers still outnumbered them even by the end of the war. But conscription still only applied to a relatively small percentage of men, and neither during WW1 or WW2 were civilians forced to stay at home and could generally travel freely, with the exception of some sensitive areas. 

The aircrews were nominally volunteers but once you were in it was very difficult indeed to get out apart from being classed as LMF ( lack of moral fibre) which basically meant you would be almost a nervous wreck and by the standards of the day in absolute disgrace  (according to Max Hastings book Bomber Command).

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Neither can your posts be taken seriously when , in breach of forum rules you feel compelled to edit my post in order to score a point .

What on earth are you on about?

I didn't edit your post beyond snipping the second part that was unrelated and therefore irrrelevant to the first part. It used to be considered good netiquette to only quote the relevant parts to avoid repeating huge sections of text and make things easier to read. 

I'd like you to point me to the exact forum rule that's been breached, when in fact the forum rules actually say...

Please don't quote a whole post to simply add "I agree" or "lol," or a smile. Please don't "quote" images when you reply to a post, which makes the image appear over and over again on the same page. When quoting another post, kindly select only the words that specifically apply to your response.

Never change the words quoted, to suit your own reply. 

The former is what I in fact did, and latter is what I didn't.

So really the usual Addio deflection from the fact you were wrong that there were complaints about the Brexiteers' racist poster. :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

The aircrews were nominally volunteers but once you were in it was very difficult indeed to get out apart from being classed as LMF ( lack of moral fibre) which basically meant you would be almost a nervous wreck and by the standards of the day in absolute disgrace  (according to Max Hastings book Bomber Command).

 

My Uncle flew in Lancasters and there was nothing 'nominal' about it. He absolutely wanted to do it, and knew the alternative was being conscripted into the Army, so willingly signed up for it. Unlike many in RAF aircrews, he wasn't a public or even grammar school boy, but got in because he'd been a member of a gliding club. 

I suspect that the daily spectre of death probably did take its mental toll, and that came out in the last year or two of his life, but he always said he was too young to understand the danger and never had a moment's doubt about going on a mission. Others would undoubtedly be different, but I certainly don't think most were press-ganged into doing it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

When my step-grandfather was enlisted all he was desperate to avoid was being sent down the mines, he ended up as aircrew in the RAF but genuinely didn't care much as long as he didn't get sent to a pit! I think being involved in the war was probably the highlight of his life although quite clearly that doesn't apply to others.

Share this post


Link to post

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

What on earth are you on about?

I didn't edit your post beyond snipping the second part that was unrelated and therefore irrrelevant to the first part. It used to be considered good netiquette to only quote the relevant parts to avoid repeating huge sections of text and make things easier to read. 

I'd like you to point me to the exact forum rule that's been breached, when in fact the forum rules actually say...

Please don't quote a whole post to simply add "I agree" or "lol," or a smile. Please don't "quote" images when you reply to a post, which makes the image appear over and over again on the same page. When quoting another post, kindly select only the words that specifically apply to your response.

Never change the words quoted, to suit your own reply. 

The former is what I in fact did, and latter is what I didn't.

So really the usual Addio deflection from the fact you were wrong that there were complaints about the Brexiteers' racist poster. :rolleyes:

“ Never change the words quoted to suit your reply “

What you did was to remove part of my post to suit your reply. The part you “snipped “ (ie edited )was the essential point of my post namely that polls cannot be relied on (ie in the Express or anywhere else) . If you had left that part in your comment would become irrelevant because at no stage was I suggesting the Express could be relied upon, in fact you won’t find a single post on the thread where I have ever claimed the Express is a reliable source.

  • P.S . Neither my post you quoted nor the one I was replying to was about, nor did it mention a Brexit poster so that’s another thing you got wrong . Keep digging.
Edited by E I Addio

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, Phlipphlopp said:

Why not ? Because you dont like the result ? Every rag could do poll with the same result , and you'd still be on here saying it cant be taken seriously. PS: The only poll that counts was taken in 2016 :D

So why did you bother posting the result of a poll a couple of days ago? Total hypocrisy. Because it suits your agenda I guess!!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Its driving them crazy. The eu is deluded. Throwing toys out of their pram at an amazing degree.

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, dj350z said:

So why did you bother posting the result of a poll a couple of days ago? Total hypocrisy. Because it suits your agenda I guess!!

Air Miles asked for evidence. So i posted some.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Phlipphlopp said:

The eu is deluded.

The only delusion is that Brexit isn't an unmitigated disaster for the UK...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/apr/04/from-bikes-to-booze-how-brexit-barriers-are-hitting-anglo-dutch-trade-hard

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/we-ve-lost-our-entire-european-trade-brexit-s-impact-on-uk-chocolate-makers-1.4528338

Mrs Appleby said there's been quite a shortage of flowers, so the impacts are very real. No matter how much the Brexiteers may bleat about it being down to COVID and/or blaming the EU, businesses, the penny really is dropping with businesses and the wider public that it's entirely down to the disastrously-negotiated trade deal and things are only going to get worse.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-irish-passports-britain-coveney-b1826580.html

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy