Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

The IMF predicts :rofl::rofl:..... well that is the normal response from Brextremists whenever the IMF or some other organisation makes a prediction

...and if your economy has been the worst hit in the G7 thanks to incompetent mismanagement then of course you've got much more room for % growth from the utterly s*** position you have put your country in. 

I remember when Barry Ayres increased his average by 5.2% for the Aces in the mid-80s, it really showed up those losers Morton and Collins who only increased theirs by 2%. Sometimes, I am quite staggered by the sheer gullability of some posters.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Indeed......BBC

The new UK forecast is for growth of 5.3% this year and 5.1% in 2022. Both figures are upgrades, though the latter is only marginally higher than the January forecast.

The recovery follows last year's pandemic driven contraction of 9.9% which was the deepest of any of the G7 major developed economies.

 

Bringing in the two predicted recovery years, the UK's performance over 2020 to 2022 would be ahead of one of the G7 countries, Italy.

The new global forecasts are growth of 6% and 4.4% this year and next. Both are upgrades, a fairly modest one for 2022.

That mainly reflects up-rating to the forecast for developed economies, especially the United States.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THIS wasn't supposed to happen was it (:neutral:)...

Britain's growth will outstrip that of the US and Europe next year as its “promising” recovery is powered by the jab rollout triumph and the Chancellor’s extended support, the International Monetary Fund has predicted. The UK and the US were handed big upgrades in more upbeat forecasts from the IMF with Britain set to be the fastest growing advanced economy in 2022.

The IMF's World Economic Outlook predicted bumper UK growth of 5.3pc in 2021 and 5.1pc next year as it catches up following one of the biggest GDP hits from the pandemic. It would mark the strongest growth since 1988 but output is not expected to return to pre-virus levels until next year.

Well has it happened yet? 

Come back not only when it has, but the UK is ahead of its EU neighbours... :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, falcace said:

Sometimes, I am quite staggered by the sheer gullability of some posters.

And purported journalists at that... :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, TesarRacing said:

Glad you find it is all a big joke. I am now winding up my flower import business that has been trading successfully for 34 years. It has been a real struggle to keep the business going over the last 4 years but it has gone up another level now not being able to get produce, customers screaming at me and not to mention the VAT issues. I kept the business operating in the vain hope that HMG would negotiate a deal that would help importers such as my company employing 30+ staff and would at the very least support the businesses financially with the extra burden of paperwork and VAT issues that all importers seem to be experiencing. We still have not received the 'doubled up' VAT duty that we had to pay back in January to get HM Customs to release the produce that our customers had ordered and were waiting for.  My bank has been very supportive but the company cannot keep loading up debt that it will struggle to pay back in the longer term and at my time of life I just don't need the extra worry. It is my loyal staff that I really feel for as I know it will very difficult to get another job locally for similar pay.

The Brexiteers will claim you're telling porkies.. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dj350z said:

Shall we start with this one:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/ex-brexit-party-mep-mocked-for-moaning-that-eu-restricted-free-movement-263053/

"I think the EU are crazy to do the exact thing I campaigned for, voted for, convinced others to vote for and told people wouldn't be a problem or affect them"!!!!!

 You may wish to recheck that quote and who it came from as you might possibly be in for a W - - - -H.

Be that as it may Philips question was where is the survey that concluded all 17 million that voted leave were thickos ( or words to that effect)

 

Edited by E I Addio

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dj350z said:

Shall we start with this one:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/ex-brexit-party-mep-mocked-for-moaning-that-eu-restricted-free-movement-263053/

"I think the EU are crazy to do the exact thing I campaigned for, voted for, convinced others to vote for and told people wouldn't be a problem or affect them"!!!!!

Think that's another one to file in the "You couldn't make it up" and "Sheer Brexit Stupidity" files... :rofl:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The Brexiteers will claim you're telling porkies.. :rolleyes:

Thing is Tesar Racing voted leave and then too late realized he had been in error . The winding up of his business and loyal employees losing their jobs being a bleak reminder.  Steve Shovlar  voted remain but thought his business would remain largely unaffected , but even that now seems to be not the case.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, TesarRacing said:

Glad you find it is all a big joke. I am now winding up my flower import business that has been trading successfully for 34 years. It has been a real struggle to keep the business going over the last 4 years but it has gone up another level now not being able to get produce, customers screaming at me and not to mention the VAT issues. I kept the business operating in the vain hope that HMG would negotiate a deal that would help importers such as my company employing 30+ staff and would at the very least support the businesses financially with the extra burden of paperwork and VAT issues that all importers seem to be experiencing. We still have not received the 'doubled up' VAT duty that we had to pay back in January to get HM Customs to release the produce that our customers had ordered and were waiting for.  My bank has been very supportive but the company cannot keep loading up debt that it will struggle to pay back in the longer term and at my time of life I just don't need the extra worry. It is my loyal staff that I really feel for as I know it will very difficult to get another job locally for similar pay.

Personally I don’t think losing your business is a big joke or any sort of joke, any more than I thought was a joke when a couple of Ge main protagonists on here thought it was a joke when 7000, car workers jobs were under threat.

Would you mind if I ask you a serious question based on your business experience ? If you have been in business for 34 years, you obviously started and were successful before Maastricht and before the EU existed ie under what was at the time the Common Market. Would it be fair to say that if we stayed as a Common Market and didn’t move into the political union the chances are you would still be able to stay in business under the old Common Market arrangement ? Not a trick question , just something I’ve pondered over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Would you mind if I ask you a serious question based on your business experience ? If you have been in business for 34 years, you obviously started and were successful before Maastricht and before the EU existed ie under what was at the time the Common Market. Would it be fair to say that if we stayed as a Common Market and didn’t move into the political union the chances are you would still be able to stay in business under the old Common Market arrangement ? Not a trick question , just something I’ve pondered over.

It's really pretty simple - the EU and the much of the rest of the World have moved on since then. There's common product standards, environmental standards, hygiene standards, animal welfare standards, not to mention VAT that have been introduced by both the UK and it's trading partners that now have to be met.

Not least because the 'British public' often demanded it in response to various issues, and the UK insisted the EU adopt its standards believe it or not. Just as Thatcher insisted on the introduction of the Single Market to make trade easier without tariffs and the problems of different standards. 

The World is completely different trade wise than it was even 30 years ago, which is something most Brexiteers have utterly failed to grasp. And even if the Common Market was some sort of sepia tinted utopia in their minds - ignoring the fact that Eurosceptics were constantly slagging it off and demanding to leave - the fact remains that Europe is where it's at now, and all the rose coloured spectacles (even if you could import them) aren't going to change that fact.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It's really pretty simple - the EU and the much of the rest of the World have moved on since then. There's common product standards, environmental standards, hygiene standards, animal welfare standards, not to mention VAT that have been introduced by both the UK and it's trading partners that now have to be met.

Not least because the 'British public' often demanded it in response to various issues, and the UK insisted it adopted it's standards. Just as Thatcher insisted on the introduction of the Single Market to make trade easier without tariffs and problems of different standards. 

The World is completely different trade wise than it was even 30 years ago, which is something most Brexiteers have utterly failed to grasp. And even if the Common Market was some sort of sepia tinted utopia in their minds - ignoring the fact that Eurosceptics were constantly slagging it off and demanding to leave - the fact remains that Europe is where it's at now, and all the rose coloured spectacles (even if you could import them now) aren't going to change that fact.

The question was addressed to TesarRacing, not you . The reason being I would like the unbiased opinion of someone with first hand experience not someone trotting out same old diatribe that we have heard umpteen times already.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

The question was addressed to TesarRacing, not you . The reason being I would like the unbiased opinion of someone with first hand experience not someone trotting out same old diatribe that we have heard umpteen times already.

Couldn't care less who it was addressed to. You posted it on a public forum and anyone is entitled to respond, as indeed TesarRacing still can.

You're one of the most biased posters on here, despite your attempts to appear neutral. As indeed your loaded question indicates, not to mention your biased statement the other day about asylum seekers coming over for their 'free board and keep'. The mask frequently slips... :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Tsunami said:

To be fair, there would appear to be people on both sides just looking for issues to fight over, and play with the Police. When you see them rioting it looks like they are all youngsters, so the issues may not be the original troubles or the border issue.    

I believe it was mostly in Loyalist areas and it seems to be 'growing' every night atm.. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

 someone trotting out same old diatribe that we have heard umpteen times already.

that's the annoying thing about the truth...it's remarkably consistent..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, falcace said:

that's the annoying thing about the truth...it's remarkably consistent..

Diatribe is not an untruth just because you think it is. Another remainer thinking he's high and mighty. Seems a thing with them. Want some sauce with your chips ?

Edited by Phlipphlopp

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy