British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Spin it how you want, but the fact remains that British citizens have been stripped of their freedom of movement rights. 

I am not spinning it , simply pointing out that your original statement was false. 

• Like 1

Aren't JP Morgan about to abandon the UK as well.. 

• Sad 1

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face," sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

Hoey.thumb.jpg.86063065ef6ef31e492e78d8aa3da5c5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MattK said:

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face," sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

Hoey.thumb.jpg.86063065ef6ef31e492e78d8aa3da5c5.jpg

I think that's yet another one for the "You couldn't make it up" file...

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

A piece written by probably the only (Republic of) Irish anti-EU journalist the Daily Mail could find.

It actually doesn't even mention the EU until right at the end, instead waffling on about the history of Northern Ireland which we already know about. But yet fails to actually identify any specific issues, and more importantly any practical solutions. Just one sentence making some vague accusation that the EU is being inflexible 

It's really quite a pointless and poorly written piece that you'd normally expect to be in the Express rather than Mail which does at least generally have slightly higher journalistic standards. Reading it took 5 minutes from my life that I'll never get back... :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, Brexit created this situation not the EU, which is quite entitled to enforce its custom zones just the same as the UK bleats on about its sovereignty. There is no-one else to blame but those who implemented Brexit and their supporters. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Personally I feel that it's little to do with politics but more about yob culture and an opportunity to demonstrate anti-social behaviour by those not well versed with the realities choosing, instead, to exert mindless violence. What by burning a bus and/or destroying public property has anything to do with protesting defies me!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I feel that it's little to do with politics but more about yob culture and an opportunity to demonstrate anti-social behaviour by those not well versed with the realities.

The tide seems to be turning towards a greater alignment / unification of Northern Ireland and the Republic - both culturally and demographically. Now that the Republic has finally thrown off the influences of the Church of Rome to become a progressive 21st Century state, and as Brexit introduces economic difficulties, even some Protestants are starting to think the previously unthinkable that they might be better off in Ireland. 

So of course the usual reactionary elements in the Loyalist community are going to be pushing back on this, and there seems to be some suggestion the DUP have incited some of this behind the scenes. Whether or not that's true though, the DUP as usual wants different things that are mutually incompatible and are impossible to deal with. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

3 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The tide seems to be turning towards a greater alignment / unification of Northern Ireland and the Republic - both culturally and demographically. Now that the Republic has finally thrown off the influences of the Church of Rome to become a progressive 21st Century state, and as Brexit introduces economic difficulties, even some Protestants are starting to think the previously unthinkable that they might be better off in Ireland. 

So of course the usual reactionary elements in the Loyalist community are going to be pushing back on this, and there seems to be some suggestion the DUP have incited some of this behind the scenes. Whether or not that's true though, the DUP as usual wants different things that are mutually incompatible and are impossible to deal with. 

...still doesn't excuse the mindless violence though perpetuated by yobs with little thought of their actions and destruction of their own communities.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I feel that it's little to do with politics but more about yob culture and an opportunity to demonstrate anti-social behaviour by those not well versed with the realities choosing, instead, to exert mindless violence. What by burning a bus and/or destroying public property has anything to do with protesting defies me!

According to the news this morning, most of the rioters are around 12 or 13 years of age, so I think you are right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 4:51 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

THIS wasn't supposed to happen was it (:neutral:)...

Britain's growth will outstrip that of the US and Europe next year as its “promising” recovery is powered by the jab rollout triumph and the Chancellor’s extended support, the International Monetary Fund has predicted. The UK and the US were handed big upgrades in more upbeat forecasts from the IMF with Britain set to be the fastest growing advanced economy in 2022.

The IMF's World Economic Outlook predicted bumper UK growth of 5.3pc in 2021 and 5.1pc next year as it catches up following one of the biggest GDP hits from the pandemic. It would mark the strongest growth since 1988 but output is not expected to return to pre-virus levels until next year.

Interesting selective reporting there. Yes, the UK economy is predicted to grow faster in 2021/22, but that is only because we suffered one of the largest contractions in 2020. You can see the figures here.

However, more interestingly is if you calculate the overall growth from 2020 to 2022. What you see is that the UK is predicted to have the third smallest growth of any Advanced Economy, behind Spain and Italy and with significantly smaller growth than the US, Germany, France, the Euro Area and the average of Advanced Economies.

World Output - 7.2%
Advanced Economies - 4.0%
United States - 6.4%
Euro Area - 1.7%
Germany - 2.1%
France - 1.9%
Italy  - (0.9)%
Spain - 0.4%
Japan - 1.0%
United Kingdom - 0.7%
Canada - 4.3%
Other Advanced Economies - 5.8%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...still doesn't excuse the mindless violence though perpetuated by yobs with little thought of their actions and destruction of their own communities.

I doubt much happens in Northern Ireland without the paramilitaries being behind it, as they're seemingly perfectly able to self-police their neighbourhoods when it suits them.

Unless you are Irish or have an Irish Background it is impossible to understand the thinking on either side of this  conflict and even then it is difficult. Religious dogma from both perspectives have a lot to answer for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1