British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Not really sure what your point is. 400,000 out of 28 million under-35s reading the Sun, probably mostly for the tittle tattle doesn't epitomise anything, and most will undoubtedly be getting their information from a variety of sources including the Internet.

Where did I say otherwise, but the fact remains that Dixon plodding round on the beat when a lot if not most crimes have become mobile and technology based, is not an effective use of resources in the modern world, nor has anything to do with lesbians and gays.

That really explains your lack of understanding . The “Dixon “ image of course never existed, but in London for example a need has been identified for another 600 policemen to go on foot patrols in the community , getting to know people , getting to talk to them and by doing so getting to know who the local hoods are, building up trust in the local community. The information gained by such coppers is deemed invaluable in solving or indeed preventing much local crime. While Dixon and his ilk are a figment of a writers imagination, the principle that it is based on, I.e. police with local knowledge has always been there. Blupanther on the other thread, who has some solid information as his son is a detective has said that the majority of Police time is spent being Politically Correct chasing up wordy crimes, not traditional police work. 

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

POT and kettle spring to mind. When do you ever see two sides of a story? 

He has enough trouble seeing one side and getting the facts straight:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

That really explains your lack of understanding . The “Dixon “ image of course never existed, but in London for example a need has been identified for another 600 policemen to go on foot patrols in the community , getting to know people , getting to talk to them and by doing so getting to know who the local hoods are, building up trust in the local community. The information gained by such coppers is deemed invaluable in solving or indeed preventing much local crime. While Dixon and his ilk are a figment of a writers imagination, the principle that it is based on, I.e. police with local knowledge has always been there. Blupanther on the other thread, who has some solid information as his son is a detective has said that the majority of Police time is spent being Politically Correct chasing up wordy crimes, not traditional police work. 

Again, where did I say that police shouldn't investigate 'traditional' crimes, although I'm not sure why you think 'non-traditional' crimes shouldn't get attention either? Given that it didn't really exist until about 20 years ago, perhaps the police shouldn't investigate the likes of cybercrime on the grounds of it not being traditional, or for that matter caravan thefts. 

600 officers in the context of 32,000 officers in the Met also hardly indicates a trend nor particular need to put officers back on the beat, which is what Littlejohn was rabbiting on about. 

As for how the police spend their time, well they're their own worst enemies. They seem to have plenty of time to harass otherwise law abiding middle class motorists driving a couple of mph over the speed limit, forgetting to wear a seat belt, or conducting a many weeks long investigation into Mrs Appleby who was an entirely innocent party in an RTA as witnessed by 6 independent witness including an off-duty copper. I have little sympathy with them when they behave like that...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

25 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

He has enough trouble seeing one side and getting the facts straight:rolleyes:

Pot and kettle come to mind...  :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Again, where did I say that police shouldn't investigate 'traditional' crimes, although I'm not sure why you think 'non-traditional' crimes shouldn't get attention either? Given that it didn't really exist until about 20 years ago, perhaps the police shouldn't investigate the likes of cybercrime on the grounds of it not being traditional, or for that matter caravan thefts. 

600 officers in the context of 32,000 officers in the Met also hardly indicates a trend nor particular need to put officers back on the beat, which is what Littlejohn was rabbiting on about. 

As for how the police spend their time, well they're their own worst enemies. They seem to have plenty of time to harass otherwise law abiding middle class motorists driving a couple of mph over the speed limit, forgetting to wear a seat belt, or conducting a many weeks long investigation into Mrs Appleby who was an entirely innocent party in an RTA as witnessed by 6 independent witness including an off-duty copper. I have little sympathy with them when they behave like that...

So you now agree that police should investigate traditional crimes, notably burglaries, which is exactly what Littlejohn was saying. Glad we got there in the end:rolleyes:

I didn’t say that shouldn’t investigate cyber crimes, nor incidentally does Littlejohns article. That’s your imagination working overtime again..

Little John was at pains to point at that he wasn’t criticising the copper on the beat but the culture at the top of the Police which you seem to agree with so there we are. You basically agree with Richard Littlejohn.:rolleyes:

As for stopping middle class motorists, I don’t know why you consider they are any different to working class motorists, but it seems to escape your attention that the stopping distance at 35 mph is around 20% longer than at 30mph which in plain language can be life and death to a child. The higher the speed the greater the stopping distance. I can’t comment on Mrs Applebys experience but since you don’t deny you have trouble seeing both sides of an argument I suspect there is more to it than you are prepared to tell us.;)

Edited by E I Addio

s for how the police spend their time, well they're their own worst enemies. They seem to have plenty of time to harass otherwise law abiding middle class motorists driving a couple of mph over the speed limit, forgetting to wear a seat belt, or conducting a many weeks long investigation into Mrs Appleby who was an entirely innocent party in an RTA as witnessed by 6 independent witness including an off-duty copper. I have little sympathy with them when they behave like that...

No such thing as a Road Traffic Accident anymore, now referred to as Road Traffic Collision (RTC). Why? Because when one or more vehicles hit something it's usually down to the fault of at least one of the drivers involved. Unless it's through mechanical defects (which usually means the owner/driver commits offences under con & use regs or failing to maintain the vehicle) or automatism.

I'll think you'll find that most Police officers don't harass the general public (your law abiding, middle class motorists). A couple of MPH isn't an offence, but not wearing a seat belt is and is so for good reasons.

Getting 6 independent witnesses to a collision is fantastic, many more than the road rage murder of Stephen Cameron committed by Kenneth Noye.    

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

I can’t comment on Mrs Applebys experience but since you don’t deny you have trouble seeing both sides of an argument I suspect there is more to it than you are prepared to tell us.

There's absolutely no more to tell you. An old bloke walked out in front of her car without looking, and she was fortunately (for him) was only doing around 30 in a 50 mph zone as she'd just turned off the M23. He got away with a broken shoulder and no other injuries, but despite there being six witnesses (as there was a burger van or something over the road, plus a car behind) saying it was entirely the fault of the pedestrian, her car was impounded for 2 weeks (meaning she couldn't get to work) and she was simply left on the side of the road by the Plod in the middle of nowhere. [The local rag actually made up some story about the driver of the car being taken to hospital with shock though :rolleyes:]

Weeks later, Sussex Police got the local force to come round and take yet another statement of the bleedin' obvious - which as an aside, was almost incomprehensible due to the illiteracy of the officer - although in fairness he admitted was a complete waste of everyone's time and there was nothing to worry about. Another letter arrived to say investigations were continuing, and then about 3 months later another letter to say investigations were no longer being pursued at this time, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. Nothing to say "we're done" or "sorry for the stress and inconvenience".

And this is another reason why law abiding people have so little confidence in the police these days. 

13 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

There's absolutely no more to tell you. An old bloke walked out in front of her car without looking, and she was fortunately (for him) was only doing around 30 in a 50 mph zone as she'd just turned off the M23. He got away with a broken shoulder and no other injuries, but despite there being six witnesses (as there was a burger van or something over the road, plus a car behind) saying it was entirely the fault of the pedestrian, her car was impounded for 2 weeks (meaning she couldn't get to work) and she was simply left on the side of the road by the Plod in the middle of nowhere. [The local rag actually made up some story about the driver of the car being taken to hospital with shock though :rolleyes:]

Weeks later, Sussex Police got the local force to come round and take yet another statement of the bleedin' obvious - which as an aside, was almost incomprehensible due to the illiteracy of the officer - although in fairness he admitted was a complete waste of everyone's time and there was nothing to worry about. Another letter arrived to say investigations were continuing, and then about 3 months later another letter to say investigations were no longer being pursued at this time, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. Nothing to say "we're done" or "sorry for the stress and inconvenience".

And this is another reason why law abiding people have so little confidence in the police these days. 

INEXCUSABLE but you cannot tar them all with the same brush. 

• Like 1

MORE post Brexit good news (from the Telegraph's City desk) ...

A Brussels plot to lock the City out of European markets has backfired and harmed the finances of banks on the Continent, the boss of the UK's finance watchdog has said.

Nikhil Rathi, head of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), said in a first major intervention that European Union lenders have lost market share because of resistance to a so-called equivalence deal that would have preserved ties with Britain. He added that the UK will not now pursue access to the EU at any price - and vowed to use the country's post-Brexit freedoms to redraft cumbersome regulations.

Mr Rathi said: "EU banks are now no longer able to offer to their clients full access to all pools of global liquidity for the trading of interest rate swaps and certain credit derivatives, as UK venues have retained material market share in various products. This loss of access to liquidity reduces competitive choice in the market for UK and rest of the world clients and, unsurprisingly, it has been reported that some EU banks have lost market share in these market segments."

• Like 1

You do have to laugh at Brexit voting expats complaining that their ECHR rights are being violated... 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1432692/expat-news-spain-residency-rights-rules-deportation-pensioners-uk-eu-brexit-deal/amp

You couldn't make it up! :rofl:

Are you for real ? I've read that piece. Absolutely nowhere did it mention 'Brexit voting expats'. You should be ashamed of yourself , total fake news and further lowering your rock bottom reputation on here. More evidence of BDS. Seek help.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Are you for real ? I've read that piece. Absolutely nowhere did it mention 'Brexit voting expats'. You should be ashamed of yourself , total fake news and further lowering your rock bottom reputation on here. More evidence of BDS. Seek help.

Daily Express article complaining about expats not being able to stay in Spain. Quite aside from the fact that Daily Express readers are hardly known for being Remain voters, most Remainer expats understood the consequences and sorted out their residencies as soon as possible.

Seems though, the Brexit voting expats didn’t think it would apply to them even though wanted the funny foreigners thrown out of the country they didn’t even live in any more, and just stuck their heads in the sand and are now whining about it… :rofl:

But the only ones with rock bottom reputations are Brexiteers as Brexit has turned into the disaster some of us predicted all along. And unlike you I’ve got the points to prove it… :D

• Like 4