British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

1 hour ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

But you posted them on here, not the government. 

In other words he doesn't understand what he is posting.:(

• Like 1

You can really only laugh your head off at the ignorance of the Brexiteers. They voted to 'take back control of our borders' and 'instigate a 'hostile regime' for immigrants which was clearly aimed at removing the rights of EU citizens in the UK. Yet when Spain does exactly the same thing, they bleat that it undermines the rights of UK citizens in the EU... 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1435072/Spain-latest-british-expats-visa-summer-holiday-EU-news-brexit-row-tourism-uk-greenlist-vn

You really couldn't make it up...! :rofl:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I can understand those that voted leave as they did not want to be part of a federal Europe. Most however that I know seem to have voted leave over one or two issues that they did not like about the EU  but failed to ask the second and third questions. A typical response from a normally intelligent person was " I just think that we should regain control of our borders"

• Like 3

More laughs at the delusion of the Daily Express. YouGov poll clearly showing that the public think leaving the EU was a mistake and things are going badly, and somehow they try to spin that the opinion of the 'red wall' is what actually counts. How about the 'blue wall' that's crumbling in the South of England? :rolleyes:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1440939/brexit-news-new-poll-lord-adonis-rejoiner-eu-yougov-red-wall-spt

Even then, 50% in the 'red wall' areas would be considerably less than pre-Brexit figures, and somehow they also believe that 41% is only 'marginally less' than 50%. Obviously borrowed Tsunami's calculator... :D

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

More laughs at the delusion of the Daily Express. YouGov poll clearly showing that the public think leaving the EU was a mistake and things are going badly, and somehow they try to spin that the opinion of the 'red wall' is what actually counts. How about the 'blue wall' that's crumbling in the South of England? :rolleyes:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1440939/brexit-news-new-poll-lord-adonis-rejoiner-eu-yougov-red-wall-spt

Even then, 50% in the 'red wall' areas would be considerably less than pre-Brexit figures, and somehow they also believe that 41% is only 'marginally less' than 50%. Obviously borrowed Tsunami's calculator... :D

Where's the poll and what were the questions?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I can understand those that voted leave as they did not want to be part of a federal Europe. Most however that I know seem to have voted leave over one or two issues that they did not like about the EU  but failed to ask the second and third questions. A typical response from a normally intelligent person was " I just think that we should regain control of our borders"

It's no different to becoming the victim of something bad happening to you individually that you're told is the consequence of the greater good.

I agree that many people had only one or two issues, with Cameron & the EU avoiding the main one at all costs (that was the lack of intelligence) whilst trying to focus on those second and third questions. It didn't wash and sometimes to get your desired result you have to take some bad medicine although I can't say that I've noticed any difference.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

It's no different to becoming the victim of something bad happening to you individually that you're told is the consequence of the greater good.

I agree that many people had only one or two issues, with Cameron & the EU avoiding the main one at all costs (that was the lack of intelligence) whilst trying to focus on those second and third questions. It didn't wash and sometimes to get your desired result you have to take some bad medicine although I can't say that I've noticed any difference.

To me those that voted leave have never convinced me that getting rid of the things they did not like about the EU  have us as a country better off. Few if any remainers think that the EU is a Paragon of virtue far from it.  Just do not see how overall we are better off out.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

To me those that voted leave have never convinced me that getting rid of the things they did not like about the EU  have us as a country better off. Few if any remainers think that the EU is a Paragon of virtue far from it.  Just do not see how overall we are better off out.  

Have you noticed anything different? I haven't. Whether it was good or bad will only really show in a decade or so. Points scoring now (not you, but those who try) is pointless. Leavers said short term pain (not sure how long their short term is?) for long term gain whereas remainers seem to think that the inability to leave after so many years, and entangled as we were, without both minor and major issues suddenly justifies their argument that it was a big mistake.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Have you noticed anything different? 

I have, and absolutely for the worst...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Have you noticed anything different? I haven't. 

I have noticed that my cut flower and plant import business has ceased trading with the loss of 45 jobs. A business that has been trading for over 35 years very successfully supplying florists nationally.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Have you noticed anything different? I haven'

Well you are very lucky to be working in an industry that hadn’t personally affected you. Yet. It will, given a little time.

but for thousands of businesses it is the end of the road. Devastating consequences of an ill thought out idea implemented by the far right will Little care or thought to the hundreds of thousands who have fallen victim to brexit. Anyone whose business trades will the EU has been badly affected by the red tape, huge delays, duty, handling fees and VAT. Trade is down 23% already and it will get worse as EU customers source their product/item/whatever from inside the EU rather than suffer the wait and red tape of attempting to buy from the U.K.

And I see today that phone roaming charges are now likely to be brought back in this summer. Two phone companies have just announced that making call from the Eu to U.K. and vice versa will cost substantially more than they did before brexit. Back to the days of 50p a minute, and £1000 to mistakenly watch a movie over 4 or 5G.

So after hours in the customs queue at Malaga airport, and being asked if you can afford to be in Spain, don’t get on the phone to mum otherwise you will be in for a shock phone bill when you return.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 2

The Chinese some years ago though it a good idea to eradicate a breed of bird from the country . They just about succeeded but then found out that this species of bird kept insects and pests under control  and that it was worse without them  than with.  So I say are we better off having regained control of our borders and got rid of the  "unelected, unaccountable EU mandarins" 

Getting rid of that which you did not like about the EU  does not then makes things better . Tesar Racing voted leave and now sees the bigger picture.

Covid will of course mask whatever the consequences are for some years to come.

• Thanks 1

Car giant Nissan is reportedly in advanced talks to build a huge electric car battery plant in the UK. The Japanese company would not confirm a Financial Times story about the plans for a gigafactory, but pointed to its Sunderland plant's crucial role in producing electric vehicles. "We will continue to electrify our line-up," Nissan said in a statement.

The FT said Nissan wants to make the UK its largest electric carmaking hub outside Japan.The factory, which would be built on the existing Sunderland site, would produce 200,000 batteries a year and support thousands of jobs, the FT said.

Electric car sales are expected to soar in the next few years as the UK gets ready to end the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030. The measure is part of a 10-point "green industrial revolution" planannounced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson in November last year.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

So I say are we better off having regained control of our borders and got rid of the  "unelected, unaccountable EU mandarins" 

Instead, the UK now has a government elected by under 30% of the population that has orchestrated a unprecedented removal of human rights since leaving the EU, and has given contracts financed by billions of pounds worth of taxpayers' money to those that donated to their party.  :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well you are very lucky to be working in an industry that hadn’t personally affected you. Yet. It will, given a little time.

but for thousands of businesses it is the end of the road. Devastating consequences of an ill thought out idea implemented by the far right will Little care or thought to the hundreds of thousands who have fallen victim to brexit. Anyone whose business trades will the EU has been badly affected by the red tape, huge delays, duty, handling fees and VAT. Trade is down 23% already and it will get worse as EU customers source their product/item/whatever from inside the EU rather than suffer the wait and red tape of attempting to buy from the U.K.

And I see today that phone roaming charges are now likely to be brought back in this summer. Two phone companies have just announced that making call from the Eu to U.K. and vice versa will cost substantially more than they did before brexit. Back to the days of 50p a minute, and £1000 to mistakenly watch a movie over 4 or 5G.

So after hours in the customs queue at Malaga airport, and being asked if you can afford to be in Spain, don’t get on the phone to mum otherwise you will be in for a shock phone bill when you return.

One like and that by Appleby, just saying!

I'm sure that James O'Brien would agree whereas Mike Graham wouldn't. I guess that I am indeed lucky and fortunately will not be affected in any way. I'm more concerned about Carbon neutrality which will be more disruptive, costly and restrictive than anything Brexit throws up.