Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Hello Humphrey,

Guess the Australian lamb will have ot compete with the NewZealand lamb  on its journey halfway around the world which is already 50% cheaper than any local lamb ... and I live 20 miles from Romney Marsh which is full of sheep.

The wine  will replace the now overpriced EU rubbish we have to put up  with  :-)   

Not really sure what UK actually exported to anywhere to be honest ... not much is mamade here anymore, helps save the environment.   Seems to be limited containers full of scrap metal and waste products for recycling.  Oh yes and "financial Services" and "bankers" 

 

We always have had lots of "bankers"
 

«rubbish European wine ».... nice to see they let senile people play with computers at the day center. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

«rubbish European wine ».... nice to see they let senile people play with computers at the day center. 

I thought he was being tongue in cheek with that comment. Perhaps not. French wine is the best there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I see Brexiters are denying that the Australia deal is worth £1.22 to every household.  They say the true figure is actually £1 4s 5d.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

French wine is the best there is.

And Australian wine is not, especially if you're bored with Chardonnay, Sauvignon-Blanc, Pinot Gris and god forbid Riesling. 

In general, you get a relatively limited variety of okay wine for a reasonable price from the Antipodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I have a couple of bottles of Penfolds Grange in the rack. Very nice it is as well. Actually just looked up the price. A 2002 bottle, which I bought in Harrods on a whim for £145, is not really ready for another 5-10 years. But the price is now ridiculous at £50 a sip. Might have to sell it!

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And Australian wine is not, especially if you're bored with Chardonnay, Sauvignon-Blanc, Pinot Gris and god forbid Riesling. 

In general, you get a relatively limited variety of okay wine for a reasonable price from the Antipodes.

Agree with you Humphey ... and I would add that you get a very wide range of over priced French wIne here,   some is ok for cooking , vinegar some very nice ..... and good luck with choosing which is which.  Champagne is good too if  you know what you are looking for ...........

Expect a wider range of Aussie wine available to the UK shortly.......... my current favourites are from South America. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dj350z said:

If it is that easy how are we able to control immigration and our borders as promised in the Leave campaign? The 2M EU citizens that came to the UK over the last 10 years all took jobs in industries that needed their skills and hard work. We now can’t even find people to fill the jobs in the hospitality and entertainment sectors. Seems like it has all gone a bit wrong to me!!

One of the many reasons I’ve never voted for anything political for years  is because political promises rarely get fulfilled without being compromised in some way and I regard the system itself as being flawed. To that extent I never believed or listened to much of what was being said at the time but it must be obvious to anybody that we never have had, nor never will have full control of our borders unless we become North Korea Mark 2, nor will any other democratic countries. I know most people think you should vote but I don’t agree. BTW, I didn’t believe a lot of the Remain side scare stories either. I did however believe David Cameron when he said he would stay on as PM irrespective of the referendum result . Silly me. It did reinforce my policy of not believing any of what they say though or at least not much of it .

I did not want to vote to put people out of work which was obviously going to happen, and I am genuinely sorry for your business problems, but equally I was not going to vote against the poor people whose lives were affected by unrestricted immigration, such as the old lady I spoke to in the bank whose life was being turned upside down by a house full of Romanians next door who had damaged her car , threatened her, and were outside drinking and shouting until the small hours. A familiar tale which was repeated in different forms around the country. Moreover , even Len McClusky of the Unite Union was saying jobs in the building industry were being taken by Eastern European’s undercutting on price and If I remember correctly Dave 69 has said something similar on here. However I didn’t have a dog in the fight, the result was unlikely to affect me personally, which it hasn’t , and even if I had voted it would have made a scrap of difference to the result.

As for my thoughts on the EU, it’s a matter of record that I said on this thread last year that if the EU didn’t exist Europe’s politicians would be running round trying to create it, so I understand the economic argument, but there is more to it than plain economics, as the EU acknowledged when they offered the emergency brake on immigration, although Cameron saw through the massive flaw in the offer.

So you have to turn it on its head and ask what would have happened in the event of a Remain vote. In the 2015 election each of the three main political parties said the EU was in need of reform. When Cameron went the see the EU in Feb 2016 he was told “ Clear off we ain’t interested in reform” .  Having been slapped Down like that I don’t see what alternative he had but to call a referendum. The EU weren’t interested in the UKs position, although I suspect they were surprised when Cameron called their bluff albeit reluctantly.

So where would we be now ? Worse off on vaccines and and better off for  some industries on trade , and still with the spectre of greater and closer integration hanging over us, under an outfit run by a President who is so useless she sent the German army on NATO exercises with broomsticks instead of rifles. Seriously, what politician of any serious gravitas on the world stage has ever opted for a job in Brussels?

There is no easy answer to any of it .  Politicians are paid to sort these things out but they haven’t. It’s a political failure by people who are paid to sort out these problems.  A slight shift by the EU in 2016 would have got the referendum over the line but Those Who Know Best wouldn’t hear of it.

Other than that everything in the garden is rosy:)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I thought he was being tongue in cheek with that comment. Perhaps not. French wine is the best there is.

French wine is fine over there or if you buy it at a French vineyard and bring it back. I wouldn’t even let Mrs R cook with French wine bought over here. Try New Zealand wine, Peter Yealands as an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I did not want to vote to put people out of work which was obviously going to happen, and I am genuinely sorry for your business problems, but equally I was not going to vote against the poor people whose lives were affected by unrestricted immigration, such as the old lady I spoke to in the bank whose life was being turned upside down by a house full of Romanians next door who had damaged her car , threatened her, and were outside drinking and shouting until the small hours. A familiar tale which was repeated in different forms around the country. Moreover , even Len McClusky of the Unite Union was saying jobs in the building industry were being taken by Eastern European’s undercutting on price and If I remember correctly Dave 69 has said something similar on here. However I didn’t have a dog in the fight, the result was unlikely to affect me personally, which it hasn’t , and even if I had voted it would have made a scrap of difference to the result.

And of course anti-social indigenous people living next door have never been a problem in the UK? Let's just tar every Romanian with the same brush and preventing them all coming over, whilst screwing over the UK economy and British expat community whilst we're at it. :rolleyes:

And the irony of you complaining about 'jobs being taken by Eastern Europeans' when your daughter is 'taking a job in the Czech Republic'. You couldn't make it up! :rofl:

Brexit supporters really do seem to believe they can have their cake and eat it. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And of course anti-social indigenous people living next door have never been a problem in the UK? Let's just tar every Romanian with the same brush and preventing them all coming over, whilst screwing over the UK economy and British expat community into the bargain. :rolleyes:

And the irony of you complaining about 'jobs being taken by Eastern Europeans' when your daughter is 'taking a job in the Czech Republic'. You couldn't make it up! :rofl:

Brexit supporters really do seem to believe they can have their cake and eat it. 

  

Couldn’t make it up? You just have (as usual).

I didn’t say there has never been anti social people indigenous people living in the UK but that’s not what the threads about.

I never said every Romanian should be tarred with the same brush.

I wasn’t complaining about Eastern European’s but quoting what Len McClusky said about a specific Industry. 

More daughter took a job in Prague where they specifically want people with English accents to teach English because they still want to expand trade with the UK which if you read anything other than the Independent you will know several EU countries are looking to increase their trading relationship with us 

Anyway , you said earlier that this was a pointless discussion so get back in your basket and stop making things up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I see Brexiters are denying that the Australia deal is worth £1.22 to every household.  They say the true figure is actually £1 4s 5d.

Those 'sunny uplands' have no doubt arrived.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I thought he was being tongue in cheek with that comment. Perhaps not. French wine is the best there is.

IN your option, just like Leave/Remain. Personally much prefer New Zealand, whites and reds.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Barney Rabbit said:

French wine is fine over there or if you buy it at a French vineyard and bring it back. I wouldn’t even let Mrs R cook with French wine bought over here. Try New Zealand wine, Peter Yealands as an example.

I was on holiday in the south of France and the rose wine purchased from little French vineyards selling at the side of the road is really nectar. And true it’s not easily available over here. And yes, the French and most wines purchased in supermarkets is mostly cheap and dire. But venture into independent off-licences and you can discover superb French wines from smaller vineyards. You might have to pay double than many are prepared to pay but it’s worth every penny. You mostly get what you pay for. 
 

However, the Ned cabinet Sauvignon from New Zealand, sold t co-op for a tenner is drinkable as a mid week tipple.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I didn’t say there has never been anti social people indigenous people living in the UK but that’s not what the threads about.

I never said every Romanian should be tarred with the same brush.

Really.. so what did you actually mean by what you wrote below, and why did you single out Romanians...? 

Equally I was not going to vote against the poor people whose lives were affected by unrestricted immigration, such as the old lady I spoke to in the bank whose life was being turned upside down by a house full of Romanians next door who had damaged her car , threatened her, and were outside drinking and shouting until the small hours.  A familiar tale which was repeated in different forms around the country.

43 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I wasn’t complaining about Eastern European’s but quoting what Len McClusky said about a specific Industry.

An old-school hard-core socialist of the type you normally rail against, so interesting that you'd put so much store in his comments. 

43 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

More daughter took a job in Prague where they specifically want people with English accents to teach English because they still want to expand trade with the UK which if you read anything other than the Independent you will know several EU countries are looking to increase their trading relationship with us

Yes, so she's filling a gap in the Czech job market, just as Eastern Europeans were doing in the UK - whether serving in coffee shops or maggot farming. 

Everyone should be able to utilise whatever skills they have wherever they're required, but that right is now substantially denied to future generations of British citizens. 

43 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Anyway , you said earlier that this was a pointless discussion so get back in your basket and stop making things up.

I actually said discussions about what should have been done back in 2016 were pointless. It's quite funny of course, how Brexiteers quickly want to shut down discussions when their contradictions are pointed out. :D

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Really.. so what did you actually mean by what you wrote below, and why did you single out Romanians...? 

Equally I was not going to vote against the poor people whose lives were affected by unrestricted immigration, such as the old lady I spoke to in the bank whose life was being turned upside down by a house full of Romanians next door who had damaged her car , threatened her, and were outside drinking and shouting until the small hours.  A familiar tale which was repeated in different forms around the country.

 

 Is your command of English that bad that you don’t understand that “such as “ means the same as “for example” or are you just being deliberately obtuse ? It is a post on a discussion for and it was an example to illustrate a point. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy