British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

20 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The elephant in the room was that Brexit was primarily about immigration,

No , it wasnt. For myself and many i know , it was about 'ever closer union' and Brussels craving ever more power, which should set alarm bells rining for everyone on the continent of europe. Air Miles wide of the mark yet again , its becoming a regular thing :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dj350z said:

So it’s not cheap foreign labour keeping the wages down then?

Well it’s not foreign Labour that sets the rate of the minimum wage , it’s the Government although as said before , according to Len McClusky it’s cheap foreign Labour that depresses wage levels in the building industry, encouraged by a ruling by the ECHR allowing companies to give contracts to foreign companies that employ cheap Labour of their own, below the going rate for home grown workers.

Cheap foreign Labour is outrageous. People should be paid a fair days work for a fair days pay  as long as they can do the job , whoever they are and wherever they come from.  What we have now is a reversal of everything the unions have ever fought for..

If you look over trade union history over the last 150 years employers first of all couldn’t afford to guard dangerous machinery, they said they couldn’t afford the 48 hour week then couldn’t afford the 40 hour week, couldn’t afford paid holidays, couldn’t afford pensions , couldn’t afford this that and the other. Thanks to pressure from the trades unions these things and more have been achieved. If it was left to employers we would still be sending 5 year olds under dangerous moving machinery to clean  up. Most people have not the slightest idea how much a relatively small number of people have motivated great change.

If we start under cutting wage rates because people are cheap it is the thin end of the wedge. Wages and conditions will gradually go down not up, for everybody , except the directors whose bonuses won’t go down. Trade unions are now basically toothless tigers but it should be socially unacceptable for foreign Labour to be paid less just because they are foreign. 

• Like 3

Nice to see everyone still tearing chunks out of each other. I've been very poorly but I still loath Brexit and all the lies associated with it. Unless your on a final salary pension you're stuffed lol.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

You worry too much just 'doom and gloom merchants' wait until we're back with feet and inches , chains and furlongs, gills and fluid ozs. It's the 'Brexit bounce' we're going to be booming though only if your retired 'living in the past' with the 'triple lock' and a defined pension scheme invested in the Far East...ouch. "Is the glass half empty or half full?" :drink:

Edited by Pieman72
Grammar
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

You worry too much just 'doom and gloom merchants' wait until we're back with feet and inches , chains and furlongs, gills and fluid ozs. It's the 'Brexit bounce' we're going to be booming though only if your retired 'living in the past' with the 'triple lock' and a defined pension scheme invested in the Far East...ouch. "Is the glass half empty or half full?" :drink:

Dont blame Brexit for your pension , it has nothing to do with it.  I'm sorry to hear about your bad health though.

14 hours ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Dont blame Brexit for your pension , it has nothing to do with it.  I'm sorry to hear about your bad health though.

It's all linked as defined contribution pensions are virtually extinct. The jobs paying these benefits to our older generation have gone and we have to support them with the triple lock. My mother is so wealthy and hardly worked a day in her life. The perpetrators of Brexit didn't want EU regulators sniffing around at their dodgy money. 

Thanks mate I'm recovering !! Keep well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

It's all linked as defined contribution pensions are virtually extinct. The jobs paying these benefits to our older generation have gone and we have to support them with the triple lock. My mother is so wealthy and hardly worked a day in her life. The perpetrators of Brexit didn't want EU regulators sniffing around at their dodgy money. 

Thanks mate I'm recovering !! Keep well.

Who precisley are the " EU regulators"  sniffing round dodgy money and from what source do these regulators draw their authority to "sniff round" money held in Britain ?

18 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Who precisley are the " EU regulators"  sniffing round dodgy money and from what source do these regulators draw their authority to "sniff round" money held in Britain ?

We're talking pre-Brexit and EU legislation was brought in so that national authorities could investigate hidden funds that were invariably held in offshore accounts, often although not exclusively British territories.

It was of course one of the one main reasons that particular individuals bankrolled Brexit, although amusingly it looks like their efforts to avoid taxes may have been thwarted by the G7 decision to finally address these loopholes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

We're talking pre-Brexit and EU legislation was brought in so that national authorities could investigate hidden funds that were invariably held in offshore accounts, often although not exclusively British territories.

It was of course one of the one main reasons that particular individuals bankrolled Brexit, although amusingly it looks like their efforts to avoid taxes may have been thwarted by the G7 decision to finally address these loopholes. 

The question was “ who precisely are the EU regulators”.  I am not aware of any EU regulators having authority to investigate British accounts. HMRC have had power to investigate offshore accounts since around 2010 and have brought in millions in unpaid tax as a result . As far as I am aware their authority to do so has never been rescinded so that is still there irrespective of Brexit.

But that is HMRC , I am asking who these EU regulators are, that have authority to investigate British accounts. Best leave pieman to answer that one as I suspect two separate things are being confused.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Who precisely are the " EU regulators"  sniffing round dodgy money and from what source do these regulators draw their authority to "sniff round" money held in Britain ?

Once upon a time there were the Cayman Islands..............................your not that naive. Your question has been answered you can go back to Brexit slumber land.

Edited by Pieman72
Grammar