British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

444/3 in an ODI - Are England very good or Pakistan very bad?

Both.

• Like 1

I Think that when we got crushed by New Zealand in the world cup it was a real wake up call ...we looked at how they played and copied it rather than having the likes Bell opening the batting and having a strike rate of 50% etc

We now play fearless positive cricket ..and having great all rounders like stokes ,woakes and Ali it just give us some options and scope with the team ...by far are best ever one day team .

• Like 2

I Think that when we got crushed by New Zealand in the world cup it was a real wake up call ...we looked at how they played and copied it rather than having the likes Bell opening the batting and having a strike rate of 50% etc

We now play fearless positive cricket ..and having great all rounders like stokes ,woakes and Ali it just give us some options and scope with the team ...by far are best ever one day team .

During the transitions I saw some woeful mistakes and reckless shots, but it was only transitional and the confidence to play the ball without much fear is working.

• Like 1

444/3 in an ODI - Are England very good or Pakistan very bad?

Pakistan arent bad by any means. Gone are the days faffing about nudging and nurdling for 35 overs hoping to have wickets intact for a 15 over onslaught. The one day game is now 20/20 stuff in all but name , and hurrah for that. The rest of the world has recognised that for some time , shame its taken us this long to latch on to it. A score of 500+ wouldnt surprise me in the next couple of years. Records are there to be broken , as England proved today. This new attacking approach is also superb for fans paying hard earned cash to watch a days cricket.

Edited by phlipphlop

Great day for England - we are finally playing like a proper One Day International Team. World Record 444 Runs gives testament to that. Pakistan seem to be like we were a few years ago. They have some great young P{layers who will learn from this experience and come back stronger for it, of that I am sure.

Meanwhile big Congratulations are due to the whole England Team on a splendid performance.

We must keep building and improving, particularly our Fielding.

A score of 500+ wouldnt surprise me in the next couple of years. Records are there to be broken , as England proved today. This new attacking approach is also superb for fans paying hard earned cash to watch a days cricket.

It's also why I have little interest in ODIs - there's no balance between bat and ball anymore. Yesterday was obviously an exception, but most ODIs are instantly forgettable even if teams are regularly racking up 350+

I followed most of the test matches this summer, and can remember what happened in tests from years ago. I already can't even remember the details of any ODIs this year. There's obviously a place for a bit of biffing, but 20 overs is quite enough for that.

It's also why I have little interest in ODIs - there's no balance between bat and ball anymore. Yesterday was obviously an exception, but most ODIs are instantly forgettable even if teams are regularly racking up 350+

I followed most of the test matches this summer, and can remember what happened in tests from years ago. I already can't even remember the details of any ODIs this year. There's obviously a place for a bit of biffing, but 20 overs is quite enough for that.

I kind of agree with that. But as long as the 50 Over Game is being played throughout the World - I believe we should be part of that too. It is my least favourite form of the Game but now that we are just getting to be good at it let's hope that we can keep our improvement going.

My favourite form of Cricket are the Test Matches by the way - but I think I am one of a dying breed. :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

Test cricket is without a doubt the ultimate form of cricket. But 20/20 and the 50 over game both have their place, and both have done their bit in reviving test cricket and ensuring international cricket had a future.

Congrats to England on what is an incredible score.

Test cricket is without a doubt the ultimate form of cricket. But 20/20 and the 50 over game both have their place, and both have done their bit in reviving test cricket and ensuring international cricket had a future.

Don't honestly see the place of 50 over cricket nowadays, except maybe for the World Cup and warm-ups for test series. The balance has gone far too far in favour of batting, yet whilst batsmen have been allowed to innovate, fielding and bowling has become ever more restricted. Why can't fielding sides be allowed to put every fielder out on the boundary if they want to, and why can't bowlers send down the odd leg side ball in the same way they can bowl the odd bouncer?

England absolutely slaughtered last night by Pakistan in the T20 Match.

England Batting was dreadful and our Bowling, for once, was rubbish.

Never mind, Bangladesh next followed by India.

Things can only get better. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

The recent test series was very good and I personally would have liked to see a fifth fest rather than so many ODIs, Test cricket is the best form of cricket IMO but is seriously under threat in the near future. In most countries that play cricket other than England attendances are not that healthy hence the ICB are looking at day/night tests, a world championship of test cricket and all sorts of gimmicks. I enjoy 20/20 have been lucky enipough to have been to a few 20/20 finals days which are a great day out. I think sometimes there's just too much cricket for a dwindling core audience. I suspect as another' sport we know is in danger of being a TV event hence the manufactured state of the One day game.

I would add I think we have several outstanding entertaining cricketers at the moment ( butler, bairstow, ali et al) and should be enjoying them while we can

The recent test series was very good and I personally would have liked to see a fifth fest rather than so many ODIs, Test cricket is the best form of cricket IMO but is seriously under threat in the near future. In most countries that play cricket other than England attendances are not that healthy hence the ICB are looking at day/night tests, a world championship of test cricket and all sorts of gimmicks. I enjoy 20/20 have been lucky enipough to have been to a few 20/20 finals days which are a great day out. I think sometimes there's just too much cricket for a dwindling core audience. I suspect as another' sport we know is in danger of being a TV event hence the manufactured state of the One day game.

I think they should just cut back test cricket to those countries that are willing to play at least a 3-test series against each other on a regular basis. That would get rid of 3 or 4 teams and make the whole thing more manageable.

Twenty20 should be restricted to a tournament format - domestic leagues and World Cup. Bilateral international matches are pointless.

No particular interest in ODIs, but if you must have them, then have a global league (maybe the 10 'test' teams + a couple of others) on a two year cycle with home-and-away 2-3 match series. In other, more of a variety of opposition during the summer, so instead of playing 5-6 matches against 2 opponents, have 2-3 matches against 4 opponents instead.

I think they should just cut back test cricket to those countries that are willing to play at least a 3-test series against each other on a regular basis. That would get rid of 3 or 4 teams and make the whole thing more manageable.Twenty20 should be restricted to a tournament format - domestic leagues and World Cup. Bilateral international matches are pointless.No particular interest in ODIs, but if you must have them, then have a global league (maybe the 10 'test' teams + a couple of others) on a two year cycle with home-and-away 2-3 match series. In other, more of a variety of opposition during the summer, so instead of playing 5-6 matches against 2 opponents, have 2-3 matches against 4 opponents instead.

One of the things being discussed at the next ICB meeting is a two division test championship where each nation will indeed play 3 tests against each other, there is likely to be opposition from England etc who want to maintain 6 tests. A solution of having 3 tests counting towards championship then a few more for the ashes etc but I personally don't think that's feasible.

I think they should just cut back test cricket to those countries that are willing to play at least a 3-test series against each other on a regular basis. That would get rid of 3 or 4 teams and make the whole thing more manageable.Twenty20 should be restricted to a tournament format - domestic leagues and World Cup. Bilateral international matches are pointless.No particular interest in ODIs, but if you must have them, then have a global league (maybe the 10 'test' teams + a couple of others) on a two year cycle with home-and-away 2-3 match series. In other, more of a variety of opposition during the summer, so instead of playing 5-6 matches against 2 opponents, have 2-3 matches against 4 opponents instead.

Don't agree with your first point Humph. The recent surfeit of Ashes tests might have filled the coffers, but 2 visits in 3 years was overkill. The weaker teams simply have to be able to play more tests, I think I'm right in saying Bangladesh haven't played a Test for over a year, which is madness. Surely they could tour in an English summer and play an England Lions team at grounds like Taunton, Bristol and Worcester, maybe finishing with a full Test at Lords. New Zealand and now Pakistan have shown in the past couple of years how much the so-called lesser teams have to offer with them both being extremely popular visitors who provided some enthralling cricket.

• Like 1