Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Interesting that one or two ex players have stated on social media that the pitch us ‘unacceptable’  for test cricket, including an Aussie! 

I just wonder about the bigger picture, test cricket is trying to make itself more relevant and popular in the face of white ball popularity and the best way to do that is have test matches which are in the balance throughout and go the distance, they are the best ones and in my opinion beat any limited overs match hands down. 

Its a tricky one .. at the end of day India have so far made 329 on it and are doing ok in the 2nd while quite  clearly England have  done bad ..saying that what on earth  are there  rough patches doing on day one test pitch !!! .As for the 3rd umpire not sure it's  possible to be that bad at a really simple job .

The big question is was this won by winning the toss .. thou its been a massive help i am not so sure in this case .

 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, orion said:

Its a tricky one .. at the end of day India have so far made 329 on it and are doing ok in the 2nd while quite  clearly England have  done bad ..saying that what on earth  are there  rough patches doing on day one test pitch !!! .As for the 3rd umpire not sure it's  possible to be that bad at a really simple job .

The big question is was this won by winning the toss .. thou its been a massive help i am not so sure in this case .

 

That’s a fair point, the Indians are fired up after their first test hiding and England haven’t done the basics as well in this match so it’s not a foregone conclusion that we’d have won by putting them in the field first. However there is no doubt that batting on day one and therefore not in the fourth innings is a huge advantage on this pitch. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

That’s a fair point, the Indians are fired up after their first test hiding and England haven’t done the basics as well in this match so it’s not a foregone conclusion that we’d have won by putting them in the field first. However there is no doubt that batting on day one and therefore not in the fourth innings is a huge advantage on this pitch. 

Spot on .. i still feel that the scores would be the same if India have had to bat second the pitch is bad but not sure its changed much between day 1 and 2 and there would have been no need to bat fourth .

Some points need to be raised about the state of the pitch thou .. surely the match ref or  some pitch inspectors must have wondered  how them rough patches can be on a day one pitch ... it looked like day 10 . not sure how you get it like that . the prep work  would have been  fascinating   to watch ...you could imagine loads of indians  jumping all over it with spikes on :D

Edited by orion
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hard to disagree with what Aggers is saying about the wicket not being a pitch fit for the purposes of test cricket.

However at the same time there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a spinning wicket from Day 1. We are just not used to it and are not good enough playing spin.

As much as I agree with it that it is an extremely poor wicket, you have to play on them. 

We are perfectly happy watching opponents struggle on our seam friendly wickets.

We also need to start looking at why we don't produce wickets that spin, we don't have players that have the skillset to play spin bowling on a poorly and deliberately prepared spinning wicket.

We didn't bat well.

 

Edited by CrystalCastles
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Whinging Poms. 

Share this post


Link to post

Dobell is spot on as usual in that Cricinfo article. After years of defending pitches at Taunton I'm obviously going to agree but we focus too much on pitches that turn straight away, where it becomes an issue is if the bounce is too inconsistent. 

The toss was important but probably less so than the first test which was a road for nearly 2 days and then came to life. At least here there was assistance throughout, we just didn't bowl well enough and came up against a top class innings from Rohit. Once you're behind it's tough mentally more than anything else but limiting India to 250 or less would have been a decent effort and made things easier in that first innings with the bat. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/14/2021 at 6:25 AM, tellboy said:

As has been proved this morning,we'll be lucky to go into a 3rd day at this rate.To me this isn't test match cricket with the ball popping around everywhere.Having said that i wish England would be a bit more positive in their batting.With the ball going all over the place you may as well get out being positive rather than prodding all the while and getting out for a low score anyway.You never know you may get lucky and hit a quick 40-50.You certainly need luck in these conditions as a batsman.As a bowler you don't even have to work to get wickets.I think even i could go past Andersen's wicket haul if i was bowling in these conditions all the while:D

Like i said on Sunday Moeen has just done what i would like to see.Imo if he was prodding about he would have been out for probably single figures instead of 43.

Share this post


Link to post

Would have been nice for England to put up more of a fight and have a bit more belief to take into the third test but it is what it is, as I’ve or two ex players have pointed out it’s extremely difficult for experienced players let alone inexperienced ones to face expert spinners in their own back yard on a pitch like that. No different of course to Jimmy and Broad taking teams apart over here when the ball is hopping around. 

Day nighter next which should offer a bit more for the quicker bowlers so fingers crossed Root can win the toss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

JUST when Ali gets into a bit of a groove with bat and ball he is returning home... 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

JUST when Ali gets into a bit of a groove with bat and ball he is returning home... 

He mentioned in interview a couple of weeks ago he was due to go home after the 2nd Test so it shouldn't be a big surprise to the selectors. Makes it a bit awkward to recall Bess though after making it clear he was dropped and not rested. 

Would prefer to see Virdi get an opportunity but that leaves a very weak tail. Depends on the conditions I guess, you'd possibly want an extra seamer under lights but India will clearly want a pitch similar to this one so it's likely you'll still need 2 spinners. 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

He mentioned in interview a couple of weeks ago he was due to go home after the 2nd Test so it shouldn't be a big surprise to the selectors. Makes it a bit awkward to recall Bess though after making it clear he was dropped and not rested. 

Root also said it was his decision to go home.

Maybe it’s true or maybe he has some other issues, but it seems bizarre to me that someone who’s only been on the fringes of international cricket selection for a while now, wouldn’t want stay around and play. You’re long retired and at the highest levels need to take opportunities when they present themselves.

A fragile lot some of them though, it seems...

Share this post


Link to post

Root, whose side face two further Test matches, both in Ahmedabad, said: 'Moeen has chosen to go home. He obviously feels he wants to be home with his family and we have to respect that. It's been a tough tour for him. It's come to a point where he feels he needs to get out of the bubble. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. We have to respect it.'

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Root, whose side face two further Test matches, both in Ahmedabad, said: 'Moeen has chosen to go home. He obviously feels he wants to be home with his family and we have to respect that. It's been a tough tour for him. It's come to a point where he feels he needs to get out of the bubble. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. We have to respect it.'

Tough tour? How many matches has he played?

I think some need to get their heads screwed on properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Tough tour? How many matches has he played?

I think some need to get their heads screwed on properly. 

I assume he's referring to him having Covid on arrival in Sri Lanka. 

 

30th January - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55841852

Quote

Moeen confirmed that he is due to be rested after the first two India Tests.

"It has felt like a long tour already so far," he said. "Once you start playing and things gets better, you're in a better frame of mind, so we'll see.

"At the moment I'm here for the first two games and depending on how things go, there's a chance I'll be going home after that."

Sounds like he was scheduled to be rested but could have stayed if he wanted to. Don't really have a problem with it tbh, it was made clear when bubbles started that players could drop out whenever they felt they needed to. You obviously risk losing your place long-term, especially in Moeen's case when he's only just got back into the side, but if you feel that's the right decision then fair enough.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy