British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

4 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Tough tour? How many matches has he played?

I think some need to get their heads screwed on properly. 

If one suffers any degree of claustrophobia, then compulsory lockdown - a million miles from home - is a major nightmare

4 hours ago, Midland Red said:

If one suffers any degree of claustrophobia, then compulsory lockdown - a million miles from home - is a major nightmare

Many in the UK are also locked down, in much worse conditions and in many cases unable to pursue their professions if not already have lost their jobs.

Professional cricketers have been given special exemptions to travel, congregate together and play sport which has been denied to so many others. They are also being paid well for the privilege, so I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy.

Everyone has to make their own decisions, but if I were a fringe player I'd be wanting to take every opportunity to play.

I also find it very strange how the Moeen Ali situation was commented upon by the England establishment. Sounds like there are other issues going on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

If Moeen Ali feels it’s the right thing for Moeen Ali then that’s all that matters as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 6

Root and Silverwood have now both apologised to Moeen. What a mess!

There's a good article about this here which suggests that he doesn't exactly get on with Ed Smith. Can't blame him really because as soon as he walked in the door he seems to have treated Moeen more harshly than others

• Like 1

Very good article that, makes a few things much clearer. 

• Like 1

Have to feel sorry for him , a pr disaster 

A better day for Moeen as he goes for just under £700k in the IPL auction. 

Chris Morris becomes the most expensive player ever for over £1.6m :blink: Bizarre how he always seems to get a high price when he's pretty average

19 hours ago, orion said:

Have to feel sorry for him , a pr disaster 

The boy Root needs to shut up

13 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Chris Morris becomes the most expensive player ever for over £1.6m :blink: Bizarre how he always seems to get a high price when he's pretty average

Yea not really a expert on the IPL auction  but when i found out Morris went for that much i was shocked   seeing the sort of average all rounder he is and then Ali gets sold and  he was garbage last year . 

Hales is a odd one great big bash and you would have  thought most teams would want him .. he  must be badder news than we thought 

5 hours ago, orion said:

Yea not really a expert on the IPL auction  but when i found out Morris went for that much i was shocked   seeing the sort of average all rounder he is and then Ali gets sold and  he was garbage last year . 

Hales is a odd one great big bash and you would have  thought most teams would want him .. he  must be badder news than we thought 

There was a little piece on SSN with Hales last night, seems he wants to know one way or the other about his England future and is seeking clarity from people within the ECB over the next couple of months. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, orion said:

ALL-rounders are a valuable commodity in the IPL and Morris has a decent record bowling at the 'death' and hitting over the boundary. Batsmen are plentiful. One thing I didn't know until yesterday is that no players from Pakistan are allowed in the IPL. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 12:52 PM, The Cheese said:

Not announced officially yet but widely reported that this is now agreed and they will be showing the entire tour of 4 Tests, 3 ODIs and 5 T20s. 

Great news, especially with a day/night Test starting at 9am which is obviously better timing for UK viewers!

Appears that I read that article wrong as Sky have apparently won the rights to the ODIs and T20 series.

8 hours ago, orion said:

His reserve price was in the 2nd highest group I think so too expensive maybe? Batsman don't tend to go for big money so I'm not sure why they don't list themselves at a lower price and just hope for a bidding war. 

Moeen's cameo the other day probably earned him that deal, a cynical person might even suggest he played that way with it in mind :D Remember on the last tour when Tymal Mills bowled well in a couple of T20s and then went for huge money, hasn't been picked since. There seems to be a strange mix of in-depth research of players and then just random favourites and 'who's done well in India in the last series?'

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 11:42 AM, The Cheese said:

It's odd, as on the surface

Supply and demand has distorted the market a bit this year, and his price has been driven up significantly because of that.

But in fairness his IPL record is decent. 

9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ALL-rounders are a valuable commodity in the IPL and Morris has a decent record bowling at the 'death' and hitting over the boundary. Batsmen are plentiful. One thing I didn't know until yesterday is that no players from Pakistan are allowed in the IPL. 

I think you have highlighted his strengths & i would say his relative consistency throughout his career in the IPL make him a good pick.

7 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Appears that I read that article wrong as Sky have apparently won the rights to the ODIs and T20 series.

His reserve price was in the 2nd highest group I think so too expensive maybe? Batsman don't tend to go for big money so I'm not sure why they don't list themselves at a lower price and just hope for a bidding war. 

Moeen's cameo the other day probably earned him that deal, a cynical person might even suggest he played that way with it in mind :D Remember on the last tour when Tymal Mills bowled well in a couple of T20s and then went for huge money, hasn't been picked since. There seems to be a strange mix of in-depth research of players and then just random favourites and 'who's done well in India in the last series?'

Hales outpriced himself.

Maybe he kept it high so he didn't get selected.