Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Recommended Posts

Sounds strange to hear David Gower commentating on the PSL! Good to see him back involved again 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

A little surprised with the changes made this time. Leach, Archer, Broad and Anderson is a very long tail, I thought Woakes might have played ahead of Broad. Surprised with Crawley for Burns as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

A little surprised with the changes made this time. Leach, Archer, Broad and Anderson is a very long tail, I thought Woakes might have played ahead of Broad. Surprised with Crawley for Burns as well. 

NOT surprised by Crawley replacing an out-of-touch Burns but agree about the lengthy batting tail 

Share this post


Link to post

If it’s going to swing that much I agree that Woakes or Scurran (is he still there?) ought to be in for their batting. 

Edited by Bagpuss

Share this post


Link to post

Tough start!!

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

If it’s going to swing that much I agree that Woakes or Scurran (is he still there?) ought to be in for their batting. 

Sam Curran is not there ... will be joining for the white ball series

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

The decision to not play 2 spinners is no doubt going to get criticised on this evidence but it's still not necessarily a bad move. Need to wait and see how much movement the seamers get under lights first.

Going to be difficult to reach 150 though from here with what's left to come

Share this post


Link to post

Some poor batting from the top order. Missing balls that hardly deviate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We need the seamers.

93/7.

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post

Shambles!!

Share this post


Link to post

Just doing nothing and waiting to get a good ball and get out .. Not sure what stokes plan is . face loads of balls before getting out for 6 or 7 each time 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

A little surprised with the changes made this time. Leach, Archer, Broad and Anderson is a very long tail, I thought Woakes might have played ahead of Broad. Surprised with Crawley for Burns as well. 

Basically they had ruled Woakes out last week. Don't get the point in taking players in a squad if they have no chance of selection.

Batting 1st today was the right decision with a long tail but the top order of Sibley, Crawley & Bairstow always going to struggle early.

At least Crawley played aggressively and scored.

Pathetic batting effort today from the rest of them utterly clueless.

9 wickets for spinners, be interesting to see how India get on but they have a much easier task now, just bat sensibly and get a lead.

We have to find a way to bat well and compete in difficult conditions 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Shambles!!

In the words of Bob Willis, 'England are in tatters, it's like Fred Carno's circus out there'.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CrystalCastles said:

Basically they had ruled Woakes out last week. Don't get the point in taking players in a squad if they have no chance of selection.

Batting 1st today was the right decision with a long tail but the top order of Sibley, Crawley & Bairstow always going to struggle early.

At least Crawley played aggressively and scored.

Pathetic batting effort today from the rest of them utterly clueless.

9 wickets for spinners, be interesting to see how India get on but they have a much easier task now, just bat sensibly and get a lead.

We have to find a way to bat well and compete in difficult conditions 

And there is the problem. These conditions are tough but not impossible, the players are good enough to be able to play well in them but for me the issue is in the mind. We see a pitch that spins early on and panic. Instead of embracing the challenge and accepting it we start thinking 'what's going on here, this shouldn't be allowed?'

I remember the infamous Somerset-Middlesex game in 2017, for all that was said about the quality of the pitch the fact is Middlesex were beaten before a ball was bowled. Angus Fraser was ranting away, Adam Voges was captain and behaving hysterically like a 5 year old child to the umpires. Straight away that gives the message to their dressing room that they're going to fail. 

Instead of accepting that batsman in this country need more help playing spin the ECB have actively discouraged it. Even if you accept that counties shouldn't produce pitches that spin a lot then there are other things that can be done. Why not encourage them to spend pre-season in the UAE or Sri Lanka? Spend a month out there and play 3 or 4 matches against each other or even sides from other countries. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy