British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Hales would make England an even better T20 team but it’s not as simple as just recalling him as we all know. Losing Stokes and Morgan in consecutive balls lost the game for England, sets the series up perfectly for the last game. Also as said refreshing to see the team Lodi g the toss winning the game, even if it meant an England defeat. 

55 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT is not because of one defeat. We will have to differ. I think England should field heir best players and no stats will tell me that Hales (with the second highest strike rate of 179 in T20) and Joe Root who can glue an innings together while still scoring at around 150 are not better options. If Malan is the top T20 batsmen in reality rather than on paper why hasn't he played in the IPL?

Malan has an IPL deal this year. Root was ignored the only time he entered and was a massive flop in the Big Bash a couple of years ago. 

I don't really see an issue with Malan, his international record is impossible to argue against. Sure he's not had the best of series here but that's going to happen and this is also his first real experience of playing in these conditions. He might start slowly but as he's proved on many occasions already he has the power to catch up and find the boundary regularly after that. Root often also starts slowly but doesn't have that ability and has proved that many times in both T20 and ODIs where he gets to the last 10-15 overs and ends up wasting balls with Morgan, Buttler etc still waiting to come in. 

If he was to be left out then it should be to see Stokes move up to 3 and Billings at 6. Stokes is another who needs time before he starts to get going whilst Billings is more of a natural finisher. Also useful to have another right-hander in the middle order.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT is not because of one defeat. We will have to differ. I think England should field heir best players and no stats will tell me that Hales (with the second highest strike rate of 179 in T20) and Joe Root who can glue an innings together while still scoring at around 150 are not better options. If Malan is the top T20 batsmen in reality rather than on paper why hasn't he played in the IPL?

Who do Root and Hales play for ?   

I know there were quite a few 3rd umpire decisions yesterday but a T20 taking 4 hours 20 minutes to complete is unacceptable tbh. That's pretty much an hour longer than it should be

They kept mentioning it in commentary that is was too slow. Was almost like watching test cricket speed.

And those stupidly pointless 3rd umpire reviews when it's an obvious Not Out why do they do it? Since replay has been involved sadly the original eye of the umpire is useless. I know Dickie Bird made the odd error but at least the speed of play was the correct pace.

• Like 1

Strangely I sometimes get the feeling that our batting line up is too strong:o

'If I cock it up there's plenty to come'.

Then you end up with Archer and Jordan needing 23 of the last over.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, The Cheese said:

I know there were quite a few 3rd umpire decisions yesterday but a T20 taking 4 hours 20 minutes to complete is unacceptable tbh. That's pretty much an hour longer than it should be

I think at first 20 /20 was a lot about fun ,but as time has gone on its getting taken very seriously . Some of the meetings the indians were having with there bowlers was getting out of  hand . Time for some stiff punishment for Captains or run or over pens if they do not complete in  the allotted time .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 5:48 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

HOW long can England persist with Malan? Imagine Hales at three or Root who averaged 50 in T20 previously with a strike rate of 150. AT least today it wasn't all about winning the toss. Roll on Saturday

On 3/18/2021 at 6:31 PM, Wolfsbane said:

Malan's the world's top T20I batsman.

When did that happen?:o

On 3/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU know what they say about statistics ... believe his ranking is not exclusively for international T20s but domestic too. 

1000 runs reached in 24 innings of international T20. The fastest player to that landmark in terms of innings.......

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

1000 runs reached in 24 innings of international T20. The fastest player to that landmark in terms of innings.......

EATING a bit of humble pie re Malan yesterday but still not convinced. The enigma is Stokes... how do England get the best out of him. Certainly not batting at 6 in T20.

• Like 1

HERE'S a thought ... Buttler and Stokes to open (left and right), Roy or Malan to follow (depends of who is out first) and continue left or right, Bairstow or Morgan at five and six. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HERE'S a thought ... Buttler and Stokes to open (left and right), Roy or Malan to follow (depends of who is out first) and continue left or right, Bairstow or Morgan at five and six. 

I think we need to stay calm .. we only  just been beaten by a great 20 -20 side on there home patch . The bottom line is we are not  going to win matches if  we let the oppo score  227 .. if we have  concerns maybe we looked at the bowling first .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, orion said:

I think we need to stay calm .. we only  just been beaten by a great 20 -20 side on there home patch . The bottom line is we are going to win matches if  we let the oppo score  227 .. if we have  concerns maybe we looked at the bowling first .

LIKE listening to Sky's Fab Four (Atherton, Bumble, Hussein and Ward) and they seem to have a consensus that England have too many left-handers in a row, especially in the India where the World Cup will be played.

58 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

LIKE listening to Sky's Fab Four (Atherton, Bumble, Hussein and Ward) and they seem to have a consensus that England have too many left-handers in a row, especially in the India where the World Cup will be played.

I think they simply have too much time to fill with inane chatter...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think they simply have too much time to fill with inane chatter...

WHY am I not surprised

37 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHY am I not surprised

The top of the Indian batting order all are all right-hand bats. In fact, I think they played lineups during the T20 series that were entirely right-hand bats, so hardly 'mixing things up against the bowlers'.

Does it prove that England should have played more right handers, or simply that they should have played better players...? :rolleyes:

• Like 2