Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The top of the Indian batting order all are all right-hand bats. In fact, I think they played lineups during the T20 series that were entirely right-hand bats, so hardly 'mixing things up against the bowlers'.

Does it prove that England should have played more right handers, or simply that they should have played better players...? :rolleyes:

NEITHER. AND 'I am not surprised' was in reference to your inane comments about messrs Atherton, Lloyd, Hussein and Ward.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NEITHER. AND 'I am not surprised' was in reference to your inane comments about messrs Atherton, Lloyd, Hussein and Ward.

I actually like Atherton and Lloyd as commentators who I think are genuinely insightful, even if I'm less keen on Hussein and Ward. But it's pretty clear they have to fill a lot of time with nonsensical discussions. 

It's even more ironic when you consider how Atherton criticised the ridiculousness of 'horses-for-courses' and 'flavour of the month' type selections when he was captaining England in the 1990s. He's now seriously suggesting that England should pick worse players just because they happen to be right-handed...? :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I actually like Atherton and Lloyd as commentators who I think are genuinely insightful, even if I'm less keen on Hussein and Ward. But it's pretty clear they have to fill a lot of time with nonsensical discussions. 

It's even more ironic when you consider how Atherton criticised the ridiculousness of 'horses-for-courses' and 'flavour of the month' type selections when he was captaining England in the 1990s. He's now seriously suggesting that England should pick worse players just because they happen to be right-handed...? :D

NOT sure Atherton said anything of the sort and can hardly drag up something from 1990. Cannot been denied that in this series and especially the last two games England had a number of left handers coming in consecutively and that was a problem of those pitches. Credit to the India bowlers for exploiting that. Personally think that Ward its great at linking the commentary team together and Hussein adds a huge amount of knowledge while taking a few hits from his colleagues. 

Bad on my part for leaving out Rob Key. Been a great asset. The Key and Hussein cricket show is very enjoyable. 

They weren't suggesting horses for courses but how to juggle the batting order and to get the best out of Stokes.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Share this post


Link to post

What a pathetic collapse!!

Share this post


Link to post

Dismal batting display here. Should have cruised home after the start Bairstow and Roy made

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The white ball side feel like they’ve lost their way over the last three games, too many players out of form. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Missed Root badly today .. here is  perfect when  need to go at 4 or 5 a over when the openers have made a great start .. The problem today with the line up today is that we had to many smashers in the line up when we needed a proper batsman .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, orion said:

Missed Root badly today .. here is  perfect when  need to go at 4 or 5 a over when the openers have made a great start .. The problem today with the line up today is that we had to many smashers in the line up when we needed a proper batsman .

And Woakes ...

Share this post


Link to post

Only just noticed that Shikhar Dhawan got player of the match, strange choice. Krunal, Prasidh and Shardul all deserved that more

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Tom Curran = Jade Dernbach. Time to give someone else a go, he's played over 50 times now in T20/ODIs and his bowling figures are horrific

edit;

As soon as I posted that :rolleyes:

Edited by The Cheese
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Managed 110 no wicket 16 overs then  a run out - let's hope they can't manage to throw it away again.....

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Managed 110 no wicket 16 overs then  a run out - let's hope they can't manage to throw it away again.....

STOKES almost did ...

Share this post


Link to post

How long is Virat and India taking ? Put some people in the stands to get the ball back 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Superb chase, the Bairstow and Stokes partnership especially. That's exactly the reason why I think Bairstow should concentrate on the shorter formats, he's the best ODI opener in the world right now and could become one of the greats in this format if he continues like this for a few more years. 

India got away with their approach in the first game but paid the price today. ODIs have moved on from plodding along at 4 an over in the opening 10 and then just looking to rotate the strike in the middle overs. 330 is nothing more than a decent score on a flat pitch with small boundaries, you have to take risks and look to get closer to 400 especially against a weakened bowling attack. Kohli and Rahul just let Moeen bowl his full quota for less than 50 without even looking like hitting a boundary.. you've got Pant, Hardik and Krunal waiting to come in! 

Edited by The Cheese
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Indians spinners were crushed today ... surely India have better options than them two .. Kuldeep drags every second ball down and puts the other right  in the slot . Not sure what others think but i thought Stokes was run out early , Not sure he had any of his bat over the line 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy