British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

17 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

Yep pretty much ruined all chances of the win. They managed a snowball fight in the stands.

Hopefully Billy gets to a century tomorrow.

HE did and fared much better than his brother.

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HE did and fared much better than his brother.

Yes, great for Billy, he got to his century of Joe's bowling as well. Joe did not look best pleased. 

BIT like Sam Curran scoring 16 of three balls from his brother Tom in the IPL yesterday

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, CrystalCastles said:

Great comeback by Somerset! 

Wouldn't have been needed if Hildreth hadn't dropped a simple catch when Robson was in the 20s :D

Leach bowled very nicely on Saturday considering the freezing overcast conditions in April aren't exactly ideal for a spinner. Some good contributions in the chase as well, Bartlett doesn't have a standout record and can look quite scratchy but he's starting to make a habit of getting tough runs when the team needs someone to stand up. 

• Like 1

Waiting for an avalanche of complaints from the traditionalists regarding the terms ‘outs’ being proposed.....for me it makes sense as the word wicket(s) means three different things and if you want new people to get involved then it’s a pretty good idea. 

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Waiting for an avalanche of complaints from the traditionalists regarding the terms ‘outs’ being proposed.....for me it makes sense as the word wicket(s) means three different things and if you want new people to get involved then it’s a pretty good idea. 

Nothing to get ones knickers in a twist about, but a batsman (or 'batter' in the new parlance) defends a wicket, so no idea what's confusing. I can only imagine they're trying to appeal to Americans, who are unlikely to be interested anyway.

What has always annoyed me, not least because it's incorrect, is using the term 'wicket' to refer to the pitch, not to mention confusing the pitch with the field.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Even as a critic of The Hundred I don't really have an issue with this, or using 'batter' instead of 'batsman'

Given events of the last year or so this now needs to be a success for the future of the game in this country so unfortunately I'm no longer hoping it's a massive flop. Can't really say I'm interested in it though.

Stokes to miss the rest of the IPL with a broken finger, seems to be a doubt for the NZ series but he would likely have missed the first test anyway. Hopefully Livingstone will get a few opportunities for Rajasthan now. 

Can’t believe they are considering outlawing the term ‘cow corner’ as it might upset vegetarians..!!!!..wtf :mad:

38 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

Can’t believe they are considering outlawing the term ‘cow corner’ as it might upset vegetarians..!!!!..wtf :mad:

Probably more because the term is obsolete in the modern game.

Even Hindus use cow milk, and dairy cows still need to graze somewhere...

18 wickets on the first day at Chelmsford, Dan Lawrence getting huge turn and bowls Scott Borthwick with one that barely bounced. 

I look forward to Essex's points deduction :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

James Bracey will be batting at 3 for England by the end of this summer. 

100% guaranteed :)

Edited by The Cheese

In unsurprising Pakistan news... chasing 119 against Zimbabwe in their T20 series, crawl along to 44-2 at the halfway point and 72-3 after 15 overs. Quickly lose a couple more and suddenly need 32 off the last 2 overs, end up being all out for 99!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A CENTURY for Alastair Cook playing for Essex today ... did he retire too early?