British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Posted (edited)

100% agree. Quality player who often scored big when most required. 

BJ Watling that is!

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

Darren Stevens. Genius.

Special mention to Miguel Cummins for his contribution of 1 in a partnership of 166 :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Darren Stevens. Genius.

Special mention to Miguel Cummins for his contribution of 1 in a partnership of 166 :D 

All his best performances (Including some career bests) in the last few years have been against Glammy.

Credit to him, fantastic career and desire to keep playing into his 40s. 

• Like 1

The freak injuries continue with Ben Foakes ruled out for at least 3 months with a torn hamstring after slipping in the Surrey dressing room on Sunday! Unfortunate for him with the 2 Tests against New Zealand a rare opportunity to play at home. 

Sam Billings and Haseeb Hameed called up as extra cover.

Didn't see much of yesterday's play but I can't believe England went with just the 4 seamers. You can probably get away with that on a pitch covered in grass where you'd expect to comfortably bowl a side out within the day. To do it on what appears to be a flat pitch is just stupid, especially when Wood is one of the most injury prone bowlers around. 

7 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Didn't see much of yesterday's play but I can't believe England went with just the 4 seamers. You can probably get away with that on a pitch covered in grass where you'd expect to comfortably bowl a side out within the day. To do it on what appears to be a flat pitch is just stupid, especially when Wood is one of the most injury prone bowlers around. 

ROOT a more than capable spinner

Another dismal batting display. Crawley's dismissal on Thursday was bad enough but Lawrence's today was even worse. 

Pope is rapidly becoming Vince-like as well, I'm not suggesting he should be dropped because he is clearly the most talented young player in county cricket but it's a concern that he hasn't looked comfortable making the step up.  

• Like 2

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

England getting clog for not chasing the game yesterday but I think we all know what is likely to have happened if they had, it might not have been pretty but they made sure they didn’t lose and can still win the series. Lots of comments about the responsibility to entertain but I think Root’s job is to get a result first and foremost. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

England getting clog for not chasing the game yesterday but I think we all know what is likely to have happened if they had, it might not have been pretty but they made sure they didn’t lose and can still win the series. Lots of comments about the responsibility to entertain but I think Root’s job is to get a result first and foremost. 

Was surprised that people actually expected them to go for it, with a weakened line-up and a few of them out of form it seemed obvious what the plan would be. Might have been different with Stokes and Buttler there but I'm sure New Zealand wouldn't be declaring so early in that case!

On Robinson, it's unfortunate that people don't have better things to do than go back through 10 years of someone's tweets. They aren't great, it doesn't make him look good but he was a teenager. I won't go down the Middleditch route and say all people that age do it but just because he was an immature idiot then it doesn't mean he still is. We know he got sacked later on by Yorkshire for being unprofessional, he's clearly not the same person now or he wouldn't have been picked up by Sussex or considered for England. 

In this era the ECB probably don't have much of a choice in taking some action, I think him coming on camera to apologise on that first day was a good move so just give him a one match ban and move on. Away from that it was a good debut from him especially with all this going on in the background

• Like 2

The Aussies will be slavering at the thought of playing that bunch of negative jellyfish.

Only one team was trying to win, that's why they're in the final of the World Test Championship.

• Like 1

Bess added to the squad for the 2nd Test. I assume they possibly want to play a spinner but feel that Leach, Broad, Wood/Stone & Anderson is too weak with the bat. 

Disappointed for Leach if that happens, he's done a solid job whenever picked but always seems to be the one who is easiest to drop. 

Also, if it's okay to add players to the bubble now, why couldn't the likes of Overton and Hameed be released to play in last week's round of Championship games and then come back in? 

The Salem cricket trials continue today...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Michael Carberry: "I don't believe this is a problem where you can rehabilitate someone." "Why has this guy been allowed to get this far in his career, and achieve what he's achieved at the highest level?"

Come on.. we're talking about an immature teenager not a convicted terrorist or murderer :rolleyes:

• Like 1