British Speedway Forum
The Voice Of Reason

'the Donald' Trump

49 minutes ago, norbold said:

As far as improving democracy goes. There are two changes that need to be made. The first is the ridiculous Electoral College system.

The second is the way the Senate is elected. Wyoming, with a population under 600,000 (0.17%) gets two senators the same as California with just under 40,000,000 (11.91%). Both the Electoral College and the Senate have huge built in advantages for the Republicans.

Actually, the House of Representatives also has an in-built advantage for the Republicans because 435 seats is nowhere near enough to ensure a fair apportionment if every state has to have at least one seat. That's by far the bigger issue, as it decides the Electoral College apportionments as well. 

The Senate was initially the way it is to ensure states rights. I can't see what would be gained by apportioning that by population as it would just end up being a duplicate of the House of Representatives, and at the end of the day, there's enough states that it still needs consensus amongst the large and small ones, which is the point.

You could easily fix the Electoral College System without a constitutional amendment by increasing the House of Representatives to 600-700 seats, and mandating that Electoral College seats have to be apportioned by the popular vote in each state rather than by a winner-takes-all basis (with the exception of Maine and Nebraska).

I would remove some of the sole powers of the Senate, like approving Presidential appointments and treaties, but the point was that Senators were supposed to be more mature and experienced, and more representative of their state rather than party views...

12 minutes ago, andout said:

And unfortunately nothing is ever going to change with those two items......except possibly making Washington DC a state....but the Republicans would never go for that either as it is pretty well all Democrat! 

I actually don't think DC should be a state, although it possibly should be reduced to a smaller area encompasses the main federal government institutes. However, it should have House representatives (that can vote), even if it doesn't have Senators. 

Actually, I also think a state that doesn't justify 2 House members should only have 1 Senator. 

30 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Actually, the House of Representatives also has an in-built advantage for the Republicans because 435 seats is nowhere near enough to ensure a fair apportionment if every state has to have at least one seat. That's by far the bigger issue, as it decides the Electoral College apportionments as well. 

The Senate was initially the way it is to ensure states rights. I can't see what would be gained by apportioning that by population as it would just end up being a duplicate of the House of Representatives, and at the end of the day, there's enough states that it still needs consensus amongst the large and small ones, which is the point.

You could easily fix the Electoral College System without a constitutional amendment by increasing the House of Representatives to 600-700 seats, and mandating that Electoral College seats have to be apportioned by the popular vote in each state rather than by a winner-takes-all basis (with the exception of Maine and Nebraska).

I would remove some of the sole powers of the Senate, like approving Presidential appointments and treaties, but the point was that Senators were supposed to be more mature and experienced, and more representative of their state rather than party views...

Yes, I agree the House of Representatives also has a built in Republican advantage, just another reason why the other two elements need reform.

I also understand the point about the Senate being more representative of the states to give the small states a bigger say, but the problem is, as you say, it has become just another place for Party partisanship with big powers over legislation and, because of that, it needs to be more representative of the people as a whole.

Another easy fix for the Electoral College would be to do away with it altogether and elect the President by popular vote.

1 minute ago, norbold said:

Another easy fix for the Electoral College would be to do away with it altogether and elect the President by popular vote.

That would take a constitutional amendment though, and turkeys usually don't vote for Christmas.

It would be easier to fix apportionment as that can be done by Congressional approval alone, although I'd guess how states decide their electors is reserved to them.

:D

Bild könnte enthalten: Meme, Text „THANK GOD YOU ARE'HOME LOOK WHAT ANTIFA DID.“

• Haha 3

• Like 1

In other news, to show how the right lack morals, it took two days for Trump to lower the flags in honour of the police officer who died trying to defend democracy..... still no words lost on the hateful mob that did this, no phone call to his family and I don't think we have seen any of the usual suspects mention his death either ? :rolleyes: I do recall a post or maybe two mentioning the terrorist who was shot trying to storm through a glass door though.....the fact that she used to be a the US military used for some strange point

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, norbold said:

They are slowly being caught...one by one. And some should serve a long sentence.....others should have a short one and at least face some consequences like job loss etc...saw a clip of one protester who was refused entry onto a flight back home and was literally crying his eyes out and talking about how they were destroying his life or something !!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

#DRUNKEN HYPOCRITE

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

#DRUNKEN HYPOCRITE

You are really digging up the crap Blu....this is way over two years ago and what was the context?

The former CEO of Twitter seems like a nice guy....

3 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

The former CEO of Twitter seems like a nice guy....

That`s probably why he is the ex CEO and this week will see Trump as another EX :)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, andout said:

You are really digging up the crap Blu....this is way over two years ago and what was the context?

There was one internet guy on CNN earlier talking about how quickly this crap spreads and it just overwhelms the net and takes time to put together a piece that proves one of the posts wrong, but they have posted 5 or 6 .....

We see how it all works just by seeing Blu post and he is only one sad individual among thousands

• Like 1