British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I misinterpreted the original post then???:t:

there is alway a few ways a post can be read.  worky did finish with the same riders as they started with , except ty and dan we injured for the end of the season . r/r and guests were used to cover.  BWD was signed to cover for mason . i see where you are coming from and vice versa  .

looking forward to seeing that big B @ workington next season .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

there is alway a few ways a post can be read.  worky did finish with the same riders as they started with , except ty and dan we injured for the end of the season . r/r and guests were used to cover.  BWD was signed to cover for mason . i see where you are coming from and vice versa  .

looking forward to seeing that big B @ workington next season .

:t:never been to workington....Lou Sansom was the main man back in my heyday :) I think he joined us after Worky?

Edited by GiveusaB

7 hours ago, jenga said:

oh yes they do , oh no they dont , OH YES THEY  DO , Workington did it IN 2018  .!

and scunny

• Like 1

A very weak 2nd Division team but built within a budget understandably. The move up was needed to create more interest cause a club like Birmingham should have higher aspirations than the NL. The trouble is that losing to many home meetings will see crowds plummet.

Really hope things work out for Birmingham in 2019 but it looks likely team changes will be needed mid season?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

:t:never been to workington....Lou Sansom was the main man back in my heyday :) I think he joined us after Worky?

Possibly but I think he rode for Hull too after the Comets. Have a trip up next season, lot different from Birmingham. 

21 hours ago, ch958 said:

people complaining about the team should just reflect that the chances of ending the season with the same 7 you start with are nil. No one ever does

Lakeside 2018.

FFS do we have to be so literal - you're fully aware of the point I'm making.

OK here goes - most teams - especially the weaker ones make a change or 2 so don't flap.

OK?

The Brummies finished top of the Elite in 2013 with the same 7 riders

all riders rode in 28 matches.

Smolinski

king

Doyle

Harris

Barker

Auty

Covatti

• Like 1

The Birmingham team has been built on a budget & with assets in mind as the requirements needed for the bonds etc however as it has now been confirmed that NL sides could hold assets last season and moving forward it does seem like Brum missed a trick not getting riders on board sooner or was it simply that stepping up a league was not in the initial master plan but the promotion bowed to fan pressure?

The promotion have always said they were working to a five year plan and made it obvious that moving up the leagues was their intention but I agree that it might not have been this quickly. 

The watering down of the National League and the reluctance of many of our fans to attend other than Championship level, seems to have brought the planned elevation forward somewhat. 

On 12/24/2018 at 10:32 AM, the hobbit said:

The promotion have always said they were working to a five year plan

Interesting that it is a five year plan, as this was published on 20/12/18 by the Birmingham City Council Planning Committee

Commonwealth Games Planning

Main point of interest for speedway is 4.16

"• Noise has not been adequately assessed particularly in relation to the existing Speedway venue. This needs to be considered to avoid conflicts with future residents."

By the end of all the regeneration the track will be next door to a housing estate. Summer evenings with the windows open and the sound of motorbikes and dust echoing around the new towers don't think the new residents will be happy.

Hopefully over the next few years the club can work with the Council and the Commonwealth games legacy commission to secure the future of speedway either at the current venue or a new venue.

It would be a terrible indictment to the legacy of the games if it ended with finally killing off a sport in the City that would have been close to its 100 anniversary

Far better that as part of the sporting legacy other sports not taking place in Commonwealth games could benefit. Maybe the possibility of a new track and stand being built in Perry Park close to the current BMX track and noise level issues are slightly reduced as it is right next to the M6 which is banked at that point. That area of the park could become dedicated to 2 wheeled sport but also the inside of the track could be used as a football/rugby pitch.

As I say hopefully rather than a negative people can work together to create something positive.

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 2

25 meetings a season, one day a week at the most, at Perry Bar in which 30 minutes of motorbike noise is spread over 2 hours and the pits area is adequately situated and acoustic barriered of so that no noise is heard from it doesn't constitute a noise problem!

A designated park for wheeled/noisy motorsports uhmmm! - Birmingham have  been there before in the 1980's  when speedway struggled through 2 full League seasons and a handful of open meetings in 1984 at Bordesley Green!

Birmingham Brummies speedway is in its spiritual home and best place - Perry Bar Greyhound stadium!

Edited by 25yearfan

Seriously, look at the plans those apartment blocks are just across the road from the track, people aren't going to like the noise however short it maybe. And if it's not going to be a problem the council need to say so ASAP, because I can't see how the club can move forward whilst this is an issue.

Also look at the bigger picture this could be a wonderful chance for improvement. Yes I agree the Wheels which was in Bordesley (not Bordesley Green) didn't work. but it was half hearted at best, a nightmare to get to, it was never really finished and what could have been a great track got ruined by stock car racing.

I would never expect Perry Park to become “A designated park for wheeled/noisy motorsports” but more an area for 2 wheeled sports its already got the BMX track. What the Heck why not build a velodrome there as well because at the moment the isn't one for the commonwealth games in Birmingham.

And you mention Perry Barr being the spiritual home, a move to Perry Park would keep speedway in Perry Barr. After all from 71-83 Birmingham raced at another track in Perry Barr so it's been done before. And the current set up as good as it is, is far from the 1940's or even the 1970's at the other place.

Also a move might open up the opportunity to have far more race nights, a training track, international meetings why just settle for “ 25 meetings a season, one day a week “ It better than nothing but is it really going to lead to a great future?

I guess one big stumbling block would be the lose of park land but if just by chance the greyhounds and speedway moved to Perry Park, the land at the current track could be used as park land for the new residents right on their door step. The old grandstand could stay and converted, maybe in to a community centre or bar/restaurant and retail.

A move may never happen and I understand many may not want it to happen, but I fear with so much Re-development going on speedway may get squeezed out.

Time for people to expand their minds and start thinking outside of the centre green:o:approve::o

Edited by Pirio Barre
loads of typos and edits

1 hour ago, Pirio Barre said:

Seriously, look at the plans those apartment blocks are just across the road from the track, people aren't going to like the noise however short it maybe. And if it's not going to be a problem the council need to say so ASAP, because I can't see how the club can move forward whilst this is an issue.

Also look at the bigger picture this could be a wonderful chance for improvement. Yes I agree the Wheels which was in Bordesley (not Bordesley Green) didn't work. but it was half hearted at best, a nightmare to get to, it was never really finished and what could have been a great track got ruined by stock car racing.

I would never expect Perry Park to become “A designated park for wheeled/noisy motorsports” but more an area for 2 wheeled sports its already got the BMX track. What the Heck why not build a velodrome there as well because at the moment the isn't one for the commonwealth games in Birmingham.

And you mention Perry Barr being the spiritual home, a move to Perry Park would keep speedway in Perry Barr. After all from 71-83 Birmingham raced at another track in Perry Barr so it's been done before. And the current set up as good as it is, is far from the 1940's or even the 1970's at the other place.

Also a move might open up the opportunity to have far more race nights, a training track, international meetings why just settle for “ 25 meetings a season, one day a week “ It better than nothing but is it really going to lead to a great future?

I guess one big stumbling block would be the lose of park land but if just by chance the greyhounds and speedway moved to Perry Park, the land at the current track could be used as park land for the new residents right on their door step. The old grandstand could stay and converted, maybe in to a community centre or bar/restaurant and retail.

A move may never happen and I understand many may not want it to happen, but I fear with so much Re-development going on speedway may get squeezed out.

Time for people to expand their mind and start thinking outside of the centre green:o:approve::o

Er .. it's not an issue planning is recommended subject to a list of conditions which includes an accoustic barrier, these are conditions for the applicant and of the 5 letters submitted you can bet your bottom dollar that some if not all are the same fo;k who have perpetually complained and opposed planning for Speedway since the outset. Unless the Brummies are in breach of consent I fail to see what needs to be done bearing in mind that the Government are hoping to pass anti Nimby legislation in the future.

Okay so its not an issue, we'll wait and see.:rolleyes:

However you still miss the point. With the Commonwealth games coming this could be a unique opportunity, why not start asking the question of the legacy committee. "How about building a new track?"

If People are happy with what they have got good luck to them. Basically it's Kirky Lane or maybe just maybe a NSS. I hope someone in Birmingham will at least ask the Question?