Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
chunky

Forgotten Europeans...

Recommended Posts

Does anyone remember Otto Holoubek from Austria and his brief flirtation with Ipswich in the mid 1950s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frigbo said:

Both ex-Sheffield

Yeah, the Tigers have had their share of mediocrity over the years!

Iris, you say you don't remember them? You may have blinked; they both had a British career that lasted a whopping two races!

Jan Zabik was a little better; he averaged over 4, and managed a maximum.

Steve

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, the Tigers have had their share of mediocrity over the years!

Iris, you say you don't remember them? You may have blinked; they both had a British career that lasted a whopping two races!

Jan Zabik was a little better; he averaged over 4, and managed a maximum.

Steve

I guess what I mean is not only did I miss their UK career I missed their whole career even on the continent.At least with Bøgh I did subsequently hear of him.Same with Kurt Hansen from Halifax

A number of these riders in the past few days the first I ever heard of them was when someone posted something here!!! Even living in Germany I have never heard of Odematt. But most of my speedway friends here come from the old East Germany so riders like Tetzlaff ,Ernst or Mike Ott are mentioned more than the West Germans

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I guess what I mean is not only did I miss their UK career I missed their whole career even on the continent.At least with Bøgh I did subsequently hear of him.Same with Kurt Hansen from Halifax

A number of these riders in the past few days the first I ever heard of them was when someone posted something here!!! Even living in Germany I have never heard of Odematt. But most of my speedway friends here come from the old East Germany so riders like Tetzlaff ,Ernst or Mike Ott are mentioned more than the West Germans

 

Don't forget, Ernst Bogh also appeared for Leicester in 1976, along with Grzegorz Szczepanik and the almost-as-ineffective Pepe Teromaa. Again, I think Teromaa could have been okay given more time.

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, frigbo said:

 

Henk Steman

 

Finished ahead of Martin Ashby twice! (Mind you, Martin Ashby had an EF both times - once at Oxford and once at Swindon)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes,it is also possible if I look back I’m my old Programme collection I have actually seen one or two live,just they made absolutely no impression on me.Teromaa I do remember and his more successful brothet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At Wolverhampton, they tried Jerzy Kowalski (who tragically died after a crash later in 1978), Hans Christensen, and Knud Ellegard. Someone given a little more time at Monmore without really showing anything was Leif Berlin.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Borje Klingberg was a huge disappointment for me, had  a  good pedigree just didnt happen for him.At Swindon  Sumner Mcknight who had good aquipment struggled terribly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was also pot luck if you saw some of these guys.Halifax and Sheffield didn’t visit Wimbledon often and you’d sometimes be wishing they didn’t kick a rider out before we met them

Another was Jan Jakobsen at Cradley.Can't really remember him.We were in another league by then anyway.But subsequently met him and his son.He managed Vojens,i think and his son was one of the best on the 80cc.From memory I was there when he won the junior world championship 

Edited by iris123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1975, Swindon announced that they were going to sign Kenneth Selmonsson from the touring side Kaparna.

Sadly we missed out on him in the end and went for Jan Andersson instead. So that worked out pretty well!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chunky said:

Yeah, the Tigers have had their share of mediocrity over the years!

Iris, you say you don't remember them? You may have blinked; they both had a British career that lasted a whopping two races!

Jan Zabik was a little better; he averaged over 4, and managed a maximum.

Steve

Wieslaw Patynek had two races at Eastbourne,failing to score.He then crashed on the Sheffield training track breaking his back,so never got to appear at Owlerton.

Zan Zabik was built like a tank,or so it seemed to a young me!

Allan Fogg.Came on loan from Eastbourne,nice equipment,no idea how to use it.

 Rob Steman.He rode one meeting for the Tigers, v Reading in 1995,hopelessly out of his depth he trailed in a distance last in each of his three rides.However,Roman Matousek had bike problems,so he borrowed Steman's machine and somehow he managed to win the race on it,even though it was belching out smoke from various places !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few more 'legends'

Johannes Fransden

Thomas Ravn

Nano Righetto

Finn Jensen (Eastbourne)

Christoph Betzl

Markku Helminen

Frits Koppe

Toni Pilotto

Jorgen Hultgren

Torben Hansen

Csaba Hell

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thomas pettersson,kjell gimre,lars Inge hultberg,Erik tilgaard,Einar egedius gotfred andreasen Henryk glucklich,jerzy trzeszkowski

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, frigbo said:

A few more 'legends'

Johannes Fransden

Thomas Ravn

Nano Righetto

Finn Jensen (Eastbourne)

Christoph Betzl

Markku Helminen

Frits Koppe

Toni Pilotto

Jorgen Hultgren

Torben Hansen

Csaba Hell

When I made that post about Wolves riders earlier, I was also thinking about Helminen and Frandsen...

Edited by chunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy