British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

Football 2019/20

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

We’re an example of how important centre halves are, apart from a couple of games we’ve had three of the four in our squad our injured and none of them are likely to be back before Xmas, it’s worse when one of them (Zimmermann) is our natural leader and usually captain, our Connor Coady if you like. The fact Wolves like playing three at the back magnified the situation too. 

Don't get to sit down and watch whole matches very often nowadays but managed to see Burnley v Chelsea last night, very impressed by Chelsea, Lampard has done a very good job so far with the cards he was dealt. They are maturing and improving week on week. 

Agreed, thus far I'll hold my hands up on Lampard, I thought he would flounder, but he is doing well.

This years Premier League, excluding the top two, seems the most equal it has been in a long time.

Chris Wilder.

Mick McCarthy without the humour.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Once we got going should have beaten Newcastle.

VAR again a shambles.

A shirt pull is a foul. It's not even a debate. Enough of this ridiculous get out clause of 'clear and obvious error'...  even that's not a get out.. The shirt pull WAS clear and obvious when seen on the replay. It's absolutely staggering these buffoons can get such a decision wrong. Whoever the VAR referee was should quite simply be sacked. There can be no excuse for that decision, absolutely none at all. It's precisely the kind of incident VAR was meant to be brought in for!

Not only that, we have Jota down for over three minutes in the 1st half... and the ref says 2 mins injury time. Do they just make it up as they go along? Although that one may have benefited Wolves, wouldn't have wanted another minute of that 1st half performance :)

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport and outdoor

No shirt pull according to VAR.. 

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

I didn't even realise until I read something this morning that the referee has the option of watching an incident on the monitor by the side of the pitch. I don't recall it happening at all so I assumed they didn't have that available. It's used all the time in other leagues, CL, World Cup etc so why are they not bothering here?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, Bagpuss said:

Any Southampton or Leicester fans on here?

Yes, the former.

49 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

I didn't even realise until I read something this morning that the referee has the option of watching an incident on the monitor by the side of the pitch. I don't recall it happening at all so I assumed they didn't have that available. It's used all the time in other leagues, CL, World Cup etc so why are they not bothering here?

I seem to remember reading/hearing somewhere that they have been discouraged from doing so by our head of refs (Mike Riley?) for some reason.

39 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Yes, the former.

Any thoughts/feelings you are willing to share from Friday evening? 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I seem to remember reading/hearing somewhere that they have been discouraged from doing so by our head of refs (Mike Riley?) for some reason.

Any thoughts/feelings you are willing to share from Friday evening? 

Yes, I'm preparing for relegation and, if what I'm hearing about finances is true, immediate administration. This will be the culmination of successive player sales,  poor  managers and a skint owner.

Thought Bertrand's red was harsh at any time but especially so given the conditions and the result was a formality thereafter.

I've since read what Garth Crooks has to say about VAR and Mike Dean and I find myself in agreement with him for the first time ever.

Wasn’t a great weekend for VAR was it? The penalties awarded at Norwich and Brighton were very dubious and the decision to overturn Arsenal’s “winner” was surely not a clear and obvious one. 

1 hour ago, salty said:

Wasn’t a great weekend for VAR was it? The penalties awarded at Norwich and Brighton were very dubious and the decision to overturn Arsenal’s “winner” was surely not a clear and obvious one. 

Can't be having  the Zaha pen as well . loads of shirts pulls not pick up and acted upon as well . Var goy its self into a bit of a mess 

26 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Yes, I'm preparing for relegation and, if what I'm hearing about finances is true, immediate administration. This will be the culmination of successive player sales,  poor  managers and a skint owner.

Thought Bertrand's red was harsh at any time but especially so given the conditions and the result was a formality thereafter.

I've since read what Garth Crooks has to say about VAR and Mike Dean and I find myself in agreement with him for the first time ever.

Southampton have been one of the unluckiest teams in the league so far this season, their performances far exceeding results.

You've 5.10 less goals than xG expects and conceded a whopping 7.88 more than xG would expect. A combination of missing chances and the other team taking them at an above average level is never a good combination.

Friday was a crazy night where everything Leicester touched turned to gold. Yes, they deserved to win the game, but the margin was far above what would normally be expected. Their xG was 4.38. Man Utd actually had a higher xG but only scored 3... then again, missing penalties doesn't help!

'Luckiest' teams so far this season in order are Liverpool, Leicester, Crystal Palace then West Ham and Newcastle tied.

'Unluckiest' are Watford, Man Utd, Everton and Southampton.

Leicester have also been the biggest beneficiary of VAR decisions going their way, whilst Wolves (before Sunday) have lost out the most.

Rising violence in the amateur game here hit the headlines at the weekend. Hundreds of matches called off in the Berlin area as Referees went on strike to protest against violence against them

Then a ref elsewhere was knocked out with a punch after giving a player a red card a few minutes before the end of the game !!! Someone caught it on video....

On 10/28/2019 at 9:45 AM, The Cheese said:

Trying to cut the decision time down.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:42 PM, orion said:

Can't be having  the Zaha pen as well . loads of shirts pulls not pick up and acted upon as well . Var goy its self into a bit of a mess 

A bit like you trying to type this . :D

• Haha 2

Watching Bournemouth vs Utd on the box and all you can hear is We all hate Leeds scum :lol:

If that was home supporters, it relates to events on and off the pitch during May Bank Holiday weekend 1990 :nono: