British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Your claim to fame

Went to watch The Commitments in the West end at a theatre my son was working at. He had a word with the lead performer that when he came out into the audience to perform Mustang Sally he picked on me to duet with him

Once shared a lift at Wembley with John Motson and Brian Clough - I was working as a steward. Motson talked to me (in the manner of an over-excited schoolboy) about how he thought the match would go (Everton v Liverpool Milk Cup Final in 1984 I think) whilst Clough avoided eye contact. As I stood aside to let them out Motson got out first and as Clough got out he looked at me and gave an almost imperceptible shake of the head as if to say "I've got to spend the rest of the afternoon with this guy" ....or so I'd like to think.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Debbs said:

Slept with 3 speedway riders on the same knight. One of them was a world champ.

Explains what did all the damage though. Bet they were chucking it in fully sideways by the end.

• Haha 2

The one and only time I trod the boards was alongside Dominic Rowan who many years later played the prosecutor in Law and Order UK. I also got interested in IT thanks to the bass player of Supergrass who was the first person I knew who had a home computer. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Had my photo in Motorcycle News sitting on a bike at the Motor Cycle Show.

Two Special First Class Awards in the ACU National Rally

Spent two lunch hours in a pub with David Jason before he shot to fame in Only Fools And Horses. A mate of my Dads had A 1927 Triumph and sidecar which Thames Television hired for a couple of days for a children’s programme that David Jason was in So I helped him get the bike the the TV studios at Teddington. The production team were about the most stuck up people I’ve ever met, absolutely full of themselves, and hardly spoke to us but David Jason was a really nice bloke, and is an ex- motorcyclist himself spent both lunch hours in the pub with us talking about bikes. Sid James was in the pub one of the days and was about the most miserable looking bloke I’ve ever seen. Just sat on his own not speaking to anyone. 

Apart from that, meeting some really great Jazz musicians, Chris Barber, Humphrey Lyttleton,  and last year, Danny Kus, plus my lifelong favourite the late Pat Halcox.

Oh , and meeting Olle  Nygren at Lakeside about 4 years ago. What a character ! He was 87 years young then and seemed to have the energy of a 27 year old. Getting Olle’s  vociferous opinions on modern Speedway and modern bikes is on of life’s great experiences ! 

• Like 2

In my younger years regularly got asked for autographs at speedway meetings.

James Grieves was very miffed one time at Belle Vue when a child approached,  programme and pen in hand.. he put down his pint ready to sign and was ignored as they asked me :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

In my younger years regularly got asked for autographs at speedway meetings.

James Grieves was very miffed one time at Belle Vue when a child approached,  programme and pen in hand.. he put down his pint ready to sign and was ignored as they asked me :)

Why were you asked? Are you famous?

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Why were you asked? Are you famous?

Maybe they thought he was Peter Karlsson.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Well as a kid I was often mistaken for "Joe 90" and nobody ever asked me for my autograph!

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Had my photo in Motorcycle News sitting on a bike at the Motor Cycle Show.

Two Special First Class Awards in the ACU National Rally

Spent two lunch hours in a pub with David Jason before he shot to fame in Only Fools And Horses. A mate of my Dads had A 1927 Triumph and sidecar which Thames Television hired for a couple of days for a children’s programme that David Jason was in So I helped him get the bike the the TV studios at Teddington. The production team were about the most stuck up people I’ve ever met, absolutely full of themselves, and hardly spoke to us but David Jason was a really nice bloke, and is an ex- motorcyclist himself spent both lunch hours in the pub with us talking about bikes. Sid James was in the pub one of the days and was about the most miserable looking bloke I’ve ever seen. Just sat on his own not speaking to anyone. 

Apart from that, meeting some really great Jazz musicians, Chris Barber, Humphrey Lyttleton,  and last year, Danny Kus, plus my lifelong favourite the late Pat Halcox.

Oh , and meeting Olle  Nygren at Lakeside about 4 years ago. What a character ! He was 87 years young then and seemed to have the energy of a 27 year old. Getting Olle’s  vociferous opinions on modern Speedway and modern bikes is on of life’s great experiences ! 

I rode at one of Olle's Training Schools at King's Lynn and can confirm he was a real character!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Yeah, but PK’s a really nice chap.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Correct.

The most ridiculous was when being asked when PK was actually approaching the tapes at the time!

This was back in 1996.

32 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Correct.

The most ridiculous was when being asked when PK was actually approaching the tapes at the time!

This was back in 1996.

I suppose with the right glasses Frank Spencer would resemble PK.  

I was going to say Heinrich Himmler, but that wouldn’t be right, would it. :)

My ugly boatrace was on tele at 1978 Arsenal v Ipswich Cup Final, and Swindon v Poole 2012 play off final.

Appeared on stage at the Wyvern Theatre Swindon with a clown sat on my shoulders, after stupidly volunteering.

Neil Razor Ruddock, then Swindon manager, was in back of my taxi with his arm round two birds.Also picked up Norman Whitehouse, Hugh Dennis.

Edited by auntie doris