British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Your claim to fame

One year finished 2nd and 3rd in the Speedway Star's Fantasy Speedway in the days when you did transfers by post!

Beaten by a 12 year old Berwick fan.

Little sod:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great-great grandfather was Charlie Maidment, champion jockey and winner of the Derby and other classics. One of Dorset's most famous sporting sons.

9 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Great-great grandfather was Charlie Maidment, champion jockey and winner of the Derby and other classics. One of Dorset's most famous sporting sons.

My Family Tree includes Peter Sellers and Barbara Windsor. Well one out of two's not bad...

My family tree includes a scouser, so we have just found out !!!! Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse....

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, iris123 said:

My family tree includes a scouser, so we have just found out !!!! Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse....

Just as an aside on this...my late wife's family come from Ireland. Many of her cousins still live in and around Longford and they are all die-hard Republicans. Whilst researching her family tree, I discovered that her (and all her Republican cousins') grandfather had been a soldier in the British Army stationed in Ireland in 1916 at the time of the Easter uprising. Talk about things not getting any worse for them......

• Haha 1

My dads story is also war related. His father left to fight in WW2 and stayed on in Vienna and fathered a child,then came back to England and had my dads newly found sister, who is the scouser. Her daughter contacted my dad just a few months back. And she also found out my dads uncle was killed during the Normandy invasion, sadly

Ti get back on track another family member has appeared in a few West End musicals , an Xmas tv as and is or was( not sure how long it goes on for) appearing in Evita at the open air theatre in Regents Park

Here's a mixed bag...

1) My grandad was the head groundsman at Wimbledon F.C. during the 60's and 70's. He actually had his photo in the papers when the FA Cup replay against Leeds in 1975 was switched to Selhurst Park because of a waterlogged Plough Lane pitch.

2) In the 60's my dad went to a carnival where a couple of Surrey cricketers (Graham Roope was one, and I think the other was Pat Pocock) had a stall. You paid a shilling and bowled an over. He hadn't played cricket since he was at school, and he clean bowled both of them!

3) I was the principal guest host on "Classic Tracks", a weekly show on St. Louis' classical radio station, KFUO FM.

Steve

11 hours ago, chunky said:

Here's a mixed bag...

1) My grandad was the head groundsman at Wimbledon F.C. during the 60's and 70's. He actually had his photo in the papers when the FA Cup replay against Leeds in 1975 was switched to Selhurst Park because of a waterlogged Plough Lane pitch.

2) In the 60's my dad went to a carnival where a couple of Surrey cricketers (Graham Roope was one, and I think the other was Pat Pocock) had a stall. You paid a shilling and bowled an over. He hadn't played cricket since he was at school, and he clean bowled both of them!

3) I was the principal guest host on "Classic Tracks", a weekly show on St. Louis' classical radio station, KFUO FM.

Steve

Can recall watching Roope and Pocock at the Oval for Surrey. Roope also played in goal for Corinthian Casuals when they lost 5-0 to Watford in fa cup tie at Dulwich..8000 there around 1966,67.

Pocock ran a cricket school somewhere around South London I am guessing . I just remember as a teenager my uncle talking about sending me there, but nothing ever came of it

Seeing that My Bloody Valentine wannabes Ride have reformed again after the demise of Oasis, I'm torn between the conundrum that I quite liked their music and how much I didn't like their lead singer when we were kids. :D 

7 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Seeing that My Bloody Valentine wannabes Ride have reformed again after the demise of Oasis, I'm torn between the conundrum that I quite liked their music and how much I didn't like their lead singer when we were kids. :D 

Ha, which one :D?

20 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Oh  the title of the thread has changed, Just post any unrelated waffle yoyu like  has it ? well in that case , I really liked JoJO gunne in the seventies ,but i was never that keen on the drummer . Where Eagles dare was a cracking film though , although I was never keen on patrick wymark