British Speedway Forum

17 minutes ago, Richspeedway said:

Thanks Bluejam just watching the Brumbies game and they said there is a limit for fans in the stadium :t:

Are you watching on Sky?  Is Sky the only way of getting Southern Hemisphere rugby?

Yeah watching it on Sky, not sure if you stream it via another network online though? (Sorry I am not that techy like some others on here) :D

Just catching up with Super Rugby Aotearoa Highlanders v Crusaders game and that has to be the best competitive game of the comp.Compulsive viewing;)The skill set from both teams of the highest quality:t:Are the Crusaders a better team without All Black legend Kieran Read?How do you leave 2 AB wingers on the replacement bench namely Sevu Reece and George Bridge when the game is in the balance?From minute one to minute eighty an absolute joy to watch:t:

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 1

Brumbies v Rebels turned out to be a good game, Brumbies easily winning but then the Rebels had a great comeback and looked like they were going to do the impossible but the homeside got the win in the end

Reading the Rugby Paper this week and no great surprise but the proposed autumn tournament with the 6 nations sides and Fiji and Japan looks like it may not run as England and France clubs will not release players.

The Premiership have released details of the season with 3 weeks being midweek  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53362990

Fixtures have now been released for the regional leagues. Start date is pencilled for September with the three different options of how the league may go being added :t:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richspeedway said:

Fixtures have now been released for the regional leagues. Start date is pencilled for September with the three different options of how the league may go being added :t:

Rich,have you got a link regarding your post please?

Southern counties 5 for Swindon, in with small town Wiltshire minnows Corsham and Devizes, and Swindon College. A town the size of Swindon should have far better team.

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Southern counties 5 for Swindon, in with small town Wiltshire minnows Corsham and Devizes, and Swindon College. A town the size of Swindon should have far better team.

Would anyone bother watching a better team?

Football will always attract a certain following in most parts of the UK, but top-flight rugby remains very locality specific. And Swindon is not that big that the residual rugby fans will constitute a critical mass as they would in a larger city.

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Would anyone bother watching a better team?

Football will always attract a certain following in most parts of the UK, but top-flight rugby remains very locality specific. And Swindon is not that big that the residual rugby fans will constitute a critical mass as they would in a larger city.

Most Swindon rugby fans go to watch Bath or Gloucester. Like Oxford and Reading it's a football town.

I was surprised when I started watching the local teams to me that are in the lower leagues as I did expect a one man and his dog feel. Ok teams do not get thousands going but seeing them home and at some away grounds there are good numbers and great community feel in the bar and the teams :t:

Shame teams after the World Cup/6 Nations could not use it to get people down to support and help as I bet like Speedway some might not know there town/city/village has a rugby team or the place nearby does.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:08 PM, Richspeedway said:

I was surprised when I started watching the local teams to me that are in the lower leagues as I did expect a one man and his dog feel. Ok teams do not get thousands going but seeing them home and at some away grounds there are good numbers and great community feel in the bar and the teams :t:

You're spot on Rich.There are a few teams that are the life and soul of their communities that attract very decent support.I was fortunate last season to visit Wharfedale when they played Sedgley Park.Must have been 600-700 there.Great atmosphere,great game,great craic in the bar.:t:The same can be said of other teams at community level namely Chester,Luctonians,Otley and Caldy.All of them are terrific days out.:t:There are many clubs at lower level of rugby who really do go out to make a visit to their clubs a memorable one even if the standard of rugby isn't what you're accustomed to.There's a few more clubs to visit in the forthcoming season if it gets the green light in September :t:

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 1

Not been to those grounds but Luctonians was in our league not long ago. Must admit only go to home games except when did some away for a side in the merit leagues and they were some interesting travels!

Looking at he fixtures this time and missing my fix I will make some trips this time. Gutted Paviors is not in our section as heard that is nice countryside setting.

Well heard Newport have signed Akapusi Qera so will definately be going home and away for that one :t:

• Like 1