British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, bluejam said:

I looked online last night to see if there was any availability for tickets at any Gallagher Premiership game this weekend and astonishingly I managed to get a seat at the new Brentford Community Stadium for London Irish v Sale tomorrow afternoon :t:First live rugby match I've had the opportunity of attending since Sedgley Park v Loughborough Students in March 2020.Pub lunch booked pre match too:party:  

Hope you have a great day there and hope things will change soon so more can get to a game :t:

• Thanks 1

Clueless England. Excellent France.

Shaun Edwards stock as a defence coach must be going through the roof. 

No doubt Eddie Jones will gloss over that abysmal performance, saying such is the standard and fitness of modern teams that you can’t take any for granted.

Yawn.  Absolute dross.

England might as well pick flankers instead of backs.

Well done Andy Goode:

“At least if France do win it’ll force Eddie to change his ways for the 6 Nations by changing the kick fest to have some attacking intent and pick players on form!”

Eddie Jones angry at criticism of playing style. He couldn’t argue the point; his only answer was “don’t be disrespectful”!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55210045

England were very lucky watching the highlights of that game, maybe thinking as France had some players with not much test experience they thought it might be easier? France deserved to win that game. Great to see Fiji finally on the pitch and chalk up a win.

Just caught up with the Premiership and looks like Newcastle been munching on a lump of Prozac or something with their start! It is looking like Worcester might be the ones who might get squeaking bum time. Europe this weekend, like the look of this competition so teams from the same league do not play each other.

It may be my simplistic view, but I don't see where Rugby authorities (or Football for that matter) have been complicit in these sad eventualities..

Agreed that there should now be a review in both sports but I don't think there was any call to the rule makers to minimise head contact in the past. No-one forced them to 'play'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

It may be my simplistic view, but I don't see where Rugby authorities (or Football for that matter) have been complicit in these sad eventualities..

Agreed that there should now be a review in both sports but I don't think there was any call to the rule makers to minimise head contact in the past. No-one forced them to 'play'.

You'd better hope the courts agree. The claims for compensation, and subsequent reputational damage, could finish both rugby codes.

It's not simply about head contact (head shots or the head hitting knees and hips in lower tackles). It's about the damage done to the brain, in every single collision, by rapid deceleration. In recent years, rugby league and rugby union have gone beyond being contact sports. They are now collision sports - and that isn't good for the brain.

As ever, football is in a much stronger position - financially, at least. I can see heading being outlawed for all junior players.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

1 hour ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

You'd better hope the courts agree. The claims for compensation, and subsequent reputational damage, could finish both rugby codes.

It's not simply about head contact (head shots or the head hitting knees and hips in lower tackles). It's about the damage done to the brain, in every single collision, by rapid deceleration. In recent years, rugby league and rugby union have gone beyond being contact sports. They are now collision sports - and that isn't good for the brain.

As ever, football is in a much stronger position - financially, at least. I can see heading being outlawed for all junior players.

You only have to see modern rugby players nowadays compared to those in the past. They're more like body builders compared to the lithe, dare I suggest, more athletic players of  the past.

Edited by steve roberts

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

You only have to see modern rugby players nowadays compared to those in the past. They're more like body builders compared to the lithe, dare I suggest, more athletic players of  the past.

Rugby league players are (and always have been) more athletic and aerobically fitter than rugby union players. Simply a matter of what each code requires of its participants. For a start, compare the ball-in-play time of the two!

I remember talking to a Harlequins RU fan who watched London Broncos RL when they played at The Stoop. He said: "I was surprised at how small a lot of the league players were. The biggest difference, however, was they could all play."

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

And the haircuts?

Will Stuart needs to get his head tested now!  :D

Edited by DC2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Rugby league players are (and always have been) more athletic and aerobically fitter than rugby union players. Simply a matter of what each code requires of its participants. For a start, compare the ball-in-play time of the two!

I remember talking to a Harlequins RU fan who watched London Broncos RL when they played at The Stoop. He said: "I was surprised at how small a lot of the league players were. The biggest difference, however, was they could all play."

I was forced to play Rugby Union at school (I went to a Grammer School...no football played there) and used to get flattened by all the fat kids hence why I disliked the game!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was forced to play Rugby Union at school (I went to a Grammer School...no football played there) and used to get flattened by all the fat kids hence why I disliked the game!

Despite being brought up in rugby league's heartlands (between Halifax and Huddersfield), I was forced to play rugby union at school (I went to a former grammar school). I played outside centre. My memory of schools rugby union is of standing about, getting cold, waiting for the pass that never came. Thankfully, my school was essentially a football school (two terms of the three were devoted to football), which was a much more enjoyable game.

Thanks to the British education system, on which rugby union maintains a stranglehold in the declining number of schools where 'rugby' is played, I had to wait until attending university to have a go at rugby league. I received and gave more passes in one game of league than in a term of union! Fewer fat lads, too. :-)

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I was forced to play Rugby Union at school...

Couple of quotes from a Guardian article (10/12) about banning 'collision' rugby union in schools...

Graham Kirkwood, from the Institute of Health at Newcastle University: “I would not want my children playing rugby [sic] in school in its current collision form. I would advise other parents to think the same."

Jamie Johnston, a former rugby union player with Harlequins, Bath and Bristol, who is involved with teaching sport at an Egham [Surrey] school: "I would not allow my own children to play [rugby union] and I cannot, in good conscience, encourage schoolchildren to play the game in its current form."

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1