British Speedway Forum

Jonny May, England Rugby Union player from Swindon, was clocked at 10.5 seconds for 100 metres in boots!!!

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Jonny May, England Rugby Union player from Swindon, was clocked at 10.5 seconds for 100 metres in boots!!!

He was even faster in Debenhams.

The sale is on!  :D

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Rugby league players are (and always have been) more athletic and aerobically fitter than rugby union players. Simply a matter of what each code requires of its participants. For a start, compare the ball-in-play time of the two!=

Each to their own, but I find rugby league very one dimensional. Run, tackle, play-the-ball, repeat ad-infinitum... 

I'd agree there's more 'action' in league, passing skills are probably better, and players may be need to be fitter. But the different aspects of play in union - rucks, mauls, scrums*, line-outs and more kicking add variety. 

Rugby Union in schools seems to be taught very badly. It seemed to be endlessly stop-start, and lot of standing around for anyone who wasn't interested in rolling around in the mud. I couldn't stand the sport at the time, but once I realised how the game could actually be played, started to get much more interested in it. Fortunate, given that I now occasionally work for Rugby Australia... :D

* Yes, I know league technically has scrums as well, but they're an utter joke and look stupid. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

12 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Each to their own, but I find rugby league very one dimensional. Run, tackle, play-the-ball, repeat ad-infinitum... 

I'd agree there's more 'action' in league, passing skills are probably better, and players may be need to be fitter. But the different aspects of play in union - rucks, mauls, scrums*, line-outs and more kicking add variety. 

Rugby Union in schools seems to be taught very badly. It seemed to be endlessly stop-start, and lot of standing around for anyone who wasn't interested in rolling around in the mud. I couldn't stand the sport at the time, but once I realised how the game could actually be played, started to get much more interested in it. Fortunate, given that I now occasionally work for Rugby Australia... :D

* Yes, I know league technically has scrums as well, but they're an utter joke and look stupid. 

Passing skills in League? They practically never pass!

If you want that you need to watch Super 15, as you should know!

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Passing skills in League? They practically never pass!

When they do, the handling seems quicker and more accurate, although I'd say tend to be over shorter distances compared to Union. 

I can't imagine that Union or League players are any less skillful in either code - they simply work more on the particular things that are needed for the code they play.

• Like 1

For me the pinnacle of handling was in New Zealand for five years from the time that Carlos Spencer’s Auckland won Super Rugby.

It was sublime but of course NZ lost some World Cup matches and had to improve their grunt and groan.

On the plus side Northern Hemisphere handling among forwards has come on fabulously over the last five years.

Just wish they’d pass it to the backs!  :D

Interesting to hear how many union fans are now switching on to the NRL and State of Origin.

Best 'rugby' comp on the planet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Interesting to hear how many union fans are now switching on to the NRL and State of Origin.

Best 'rugby' comp on the planet.

I remember watching Aussie rugby league on TV in Melbourne in 1987 and thinking how good it looked played on green pitches in the sunshine compared to Eddie Warring, mud and mist in Halifax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

One of the benefits of restart after Covid is that they've done away with scrums in RL. Pity Union doesn't do the same as it is rare that one goes against the head.

At least in League they didn't take long, in Union the curse of the reset scrum sucks up more time than anything else.

Edited by salty
  • Like 3

Wow. Where do I start with this?

I'm afraid a lot of modern rugby union, not least at the highest level, now looks like rugby league from the unlimited tackles era (i.e. back in the 1960s): huge blokes engaged in a dreary, slow motion war of attrition, fighting over a small amount of territory, with the two lines of players barely two or three yards apart. It's unwatchable, as the recent Autumn Nations Cup illustrated. It's why league dispensed with that approach decades ago.

There's simply no comparison in the fitness levels of league and union. It's a direct result of the codes' different requirements. The ball-in-play time for league is more than twice what it is in union, a game based around stoppages/set pieces.

League decided more than a century ago the contest for possession was an unedifying spectacle, unappealing to spectators. It's why rucks, mauls and line outs were eliminated. If you like watching games settled by penalty kicks and observing extended periods of aimless 'kick tennis', well, good luck to you.

The scrums in both codes are a mess. Even union diehards are frustrated by endless scrum resets (and blatant feeding), meaning scrums eat up whole minutes of a game. In league, the de-powered, uncontested scrum is merely a means of restarting the game, tying up forwards for a short time, leaving the field open for backs. During the ongoing 'COVID era', league has dispensed with scrums altogether. Few, I suspect, want them back.

You're not wrong about the way rugby union is taught in schools. All I remember about it was getting cold while the fat lads rolled about in the mud. Thank goodness we had football for the bulk of each school term!

Rugby Australia? Rugby union is dying on its arse in Australia.

I watch league (alongside cricket) in spring and summer, union (alongside football) in autumn and winter. One of the most striking difference between the two rugby codes is how crowded the pitch is in union. There's talk of league reducing the number of players to 12 or 11. Union really needs to consider 13. I reckon if league hadn't got there first, it would be a no-brainer.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

10 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I remember watching Aussie rugby league on TV in Melbourne in 1987 and thinking how good it looked played on green pitches in the sunshine compared to Eddie Warring, mud and mist in Halifax.

One of the reasons British rugby league switched to a spring and summer season. I started watching rugby league in 1974 (and union a decade later). I wouldn't want league to return to an autumn and winter season.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Are you serious? 

Yes. One man gets the ball, runs into an opponent and puts it between his legs.

I guess I’ve missed the good games!

Certainly was at my school...the fat kids excelled.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes. One man gets the ball, runs into an opponent and puts it between his legs.

I guess I’ve missed the good games!

That's not the rugby league I've been watching for nearly 50 years!

Like all caricatures (kick and clap?; hunt, punt and grunt?), it's nonsense. 

Edited by Piotr Pyszny