British Speedway Forum

27 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Which year was that and what year were you in?  I think you’re several years older than me.

71/72, was 15/16 then.

6 minutes ago, bluejam said:

Melbourne Storm are hugely successful in AFL territory.

NFL in Queensland with Broncos,Titans and Cowboys aren't pulling up any trees and neither are the Reds in Super Rugby.There's now 6 AFL teams from Victoria playing in Queensland at temporary homes due to Covid,so where do you think fans are going to go to?

Wasn't taking 2020 into account as it's not been anywhere near a normal year.

There's one NRL team in Aussie Rules territory, but 4 AFL teams north of the Barassi Line.

Just now, auntie doris said:

71/72, was 15/16 then.

You must have played Marlborough Secondary Modern then because StJohn’s didn’t start until 1975.

Unless you played the Grammar School?

29 minutes ago, falcace said:

LLeague is never going to grow beyond its traditional NW England and East Coast Australia base, especially when competing with Union with its wider global reach and credible international competitions.

Rugby League was a regional sport that had a lot of money and marketing support pumped into it over a number of years, and still hasn't really broken out of its traditional markets (a lesson for speedway there!). Those who grow up with it can't see why people would prefer Union, but the fact remains that Union is played more widely and ultimately has more support.  

I do agree that the scoring system in League is better than Union, and maybe both sports would benefit from amalgamation. Maybe keep mauls, but have a play-the-ball when it goes to ground as rucks aren't a great spectacle. Definitely keep line-outs and have proper but reduced scrums (maybe even only with 5 players). 

I might also take a lead from the AFL and ban kicking to touch - maybe awarding a free kick against transgressors.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, falcace said:

My mixed code game would be..

League points system 4-2-1
13 man teams (smaller scrums)
Union scrums and line-outs
Union ruck and mauls
Union pitch dimensions

There didn’t seem to be many reset scrums in the Autumn series. Most collapses were penalised.  But too many rucks turned into mini collapsed scrums.

Possible solutions:

Scrums: ball in immediately upon engagement and pushing allowed immediately.

Rucks: no clearing out. It’s dangerous and leaves too many players on the floor.

Maul: defending team should be allowed to pull it down in the 22.

Line outs: allow arm contact provided going for the ball.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You must have played Marlborough Secondary Modern then because StJohn’s didn’t start until 1975.

Unless you played the Grammar School?

Must have been Marlborough Secondary Modern then...St.Johns is now on hill Pewsey Road. My cousin went to Kingsbury Street school in 50s, used to get train from Ludgershall to Marlborough.

16 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Must have been Marlborough Secondary Modern then...St.Johns is now on hill Pewsey Road. My cousin went to Kingsbury Street school in 50s, used to get train from Ludgershall to Marlborough.

I thought that Marlborough was where the 'toffs' lived?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluejam said:

I saw the Kangaroos play at the Watersheddings in 1986.One of Oldham's proudest performances in their history if I remember correctly;)

Ha! I was there! What a night. What a try!  Bruiser Clark had his best game of the year. You can find it on YouTube. The sheddings had a special atmosphere for night matches. Oldham's last minute win over Wigan in the Challenge Cup first round in 87 is still the greatest sports event I've seen live. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falcace said:

Ha! I was there! What a night. What a try!  Bruiser Clark had his best game of the year. You can find it on YouTube. The sheddings had a special atmosphere for night matches. Oldham's last minute win over Wigan in the Challenge Cup first round in 87 is still the greatest sports event I've seen live. 

How about Chris Harris winning at Cardiff or Swindon winning the EL from behind at Wolves?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falcace said:

Many years ago I was in a group doing ground hopping around other sports. Once we took in Oldham vs Leigh at the 'Shedding's.  The conditions were poor with rain cascading everywhere. There was an incident when a player 'mysteriously' fell to the floor. The referee was looking around very bemused. Then a shout came from the crowd, "Bloody hell Ref ... What do you expect ... 'Piggy' 'bloody' Fletcher is on the pitch!". We followed Leigh after that and loved the memories it gave us. The Watersheddings is always fondly remembered for the joy and experience it gave us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

How about Chris Harris winning at Cardiff or Swindon winning the EL from behind at Wolves?

Funny you should say that. Chris Harris' win is definitely in my top 5 of those witnessed first hand. I was also in the Bird Nest in 2008 for Usain Bolt's incredible 100m win. But I'd still have Oldham v Wigan as my top moment. It had everything. Atmosphere, a sense of occasion, real intensity, overwhelming favourites packed with internationals and a brilliant last minute win for the underdogs with an unlikely hero...and of course, my team won! Wigan didn't lose another Challenge Cup tie for the next EIGHT YEARS!

That said, I missed out on Monmore Green. :wink: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lefty said:

Many years ago I was in a group doing ground hopping around other sports. Once we took in Oldham vs Leigh at the 'Shedding's.  The conditions were poor with rain cascading everywhere. There was an incident when a player 'mysteriously' fell to the floor. The referee was looking around very bemused. Then a shout came from the crowd, "Bloody hell Ref ... What do you expect ... 'Piggy' 'bloody' Fletcher is on the pitch!". We followed Leigh after that and loved the memories it gave us. The Watersheddings is always fondly remembered for the joy and experience it gave us.

Yes, a proper old school stadium that no visiting side enjoyed. There was also something very gladatorial with the players walking from the changing rooms in the club pavilion through the crowds to the stadium before the game.

I can also recall an Oldham, Leigh game being abandoned with every player sent off for fighting. Different times.  :D

19 hours ago, falcace said:

Funny you should say that. Chris Harris' win is definitely in my top 5 of those witnessed first hand. I was also in the Bird Nest in 2008 for Usain Bolt's incredible 100m win. But I'd still have Oldham v Wigan as my top moment. It had everything. Atmosphere, a sense of occasion, real intensity, overwhelming favourites packed with internationals and a brilliant last minute win for the underdogs with an unlikely hero...and of course, my team won! Wigan didn't lose another Challenge Cup tie for the next EIGHT YEARS!

That said, I missed out on Monmore Green. :wink: 

Good for you. It’s great, isn’t it, the thrill that a sporting event can give you and I admire your passion.

I would have added Swindon winning the EL at Poole in 2012 but in retrospect, of course, Poole were on their way down to becoming a second division side.  :D

• Like 1

Matt Dawson has been quoted as saying that he knew what he was letting himself in for when he decided on a career playing rugby and has no intentions questioning the relevant authorities over recent issues highlighted.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DC2 said:

It’s great, isn’t it, the thrill that a sporting event can give you and I admire your passion.

God knows I've seen some dire stuff live. But the beauty is that you never know what will happen and anything can. And when you see some great live sport it beats every other entertainment hands down.

• Thanks 1