British Speedway Forum

Neither took the knee, so Wales are now my new team...:)

On 2/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, CrystalCastles said:

Some of the bigger club sides are well supported. Newport were sometimes still getting comparable figures to Dragons crowds.

I agree - i probably could

Definitely does, and i think hat happened initially with Welsh Rugby - with improved fitness, better structure, more investment - the players you listed show that.

How much of that simply was down to the quality of players in my age bracket remains to be seen. But a playing pool of 60 players starting games at regional level isn't a big pool of players to choose from. Personally i don't think the Regions have managed to maintain the quality in youth development.

You look at a lot of the best players coming through for us and they generally have all moved across to England at a young age.

Merging the teams eradicated support immediately for the Regions. Going in with England for the Regions would have been a far better decision at the time.

At the time there wasn't a market for 8 or 10 professional teams, there was no desire or vision for it.

And it's very easy to argue that there is no Market for it based on regional average attendance figures. Talking about 27K people going to watch Rugby on average.

• If the Blues, Dragons, Ospreys & Scarlets were called Cardiff, Newport, Swansea & Llanelli - crowds would be highly likely to be bigger. I'd be fairly certain in Newports case it would be significantly more
  • Crowds for Welsh Derbies are significantly higher than you would get for other Pro 14 games.
  • Having been to Judgement day a few times. It attracts big crowds, Wales at International level generally have strong attendances.
  • We have a population of approximately 3M people

At the same time whilst i was in School Welsh Football teams in South Wales were supported terribly

Cardiff & Swansea were in Division 3 getting 2.5K - 4K people - who would ever have predicted that they could get to the premiership and sell out 20K-30K seated Stadiums.Newport County get approximately 3K crowds sometimes as high as 5K for League 2 football, when i was in school they were in non league football getting 600-1000 people going to watch them.

Ice Hockey and Cardiff Devils went through a phase of being relatively successful when i was young to spending to much, financially being in a mess, losing their Rink. They were saved had big Investment - a new venue built and regularly sell out now - because they have been successful and they have a very young and loyal fan base.

I enjoy all sport, but i don't really go and watch Pro 14 Rugby because Welsh Regions are rubbish, Welsh Internationals don't really play, they don't have the financial clout for players, the league structure is a joke and i don't think it's VFM. Most of my friends are the same.

I think if we had our own league (8,9,10 teams) and if the welsh teams were good, there would be far far more interest in it than the Regional structure that we have.

I can't really argue that financially it would be viable - but at the same i don't think that having a small league of 8-10 teams would be any worse than what we have now.

Definitely - having lived in the area my whole life - all of the fans of clubs in the "region" have no interest in supporting the Dragons. By dropping Newport from the name- support from people in Newport also dropped. 

Situation replicated across the Regions and because they are not very good support has never improved

Wales has always had regions.As a rule all the best players went to 4 clubs bar a few spells when other clubs had a golden period.When Newport RFC got stitched up by the Dragons I walked away from the game and have no intention of watching it again except on the telly.I played for about 25 years and this modern game does nothing for me.

35 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

Wales terrible. 

Ireland by far the better side with 14 men.
Only positives for me, Toby looks like he has found some form, Rees-Zammit finished well. North took his opportunity to score and we didn't lose.

Wales really have no idea how to play, or what they are trying to achieve. Set pieces continue to be really awful. 

For once CC I have got to disagreeB)It wasn't the best of performances set piece wise,but showed a lot of character to come back from 13pts unanswered.With 10 seconds left Gareth Davies instead running a play dead decided to hand possession to the Irish(you could have heard everyone screaming at their widescreen TVs in Wales shouting WTF!!!:rolleyes:)Thought the Welsh pack put in a hell of an effort defensively.The Irish lacked discipline with the penalty count and the sending off of O'Mahony only galvanised them only for Burns to go and fluff it.Huge sighs of relief all over Wales come final whistle;) 

• Like 1

Glad Wales beat the better side as it keeps England in it.

Not that I care much for England, the way they are playing.

Hopefully flair will win the tournament - France, Ireland or Scotland - rather than boring, conservative attrition.

1 hour ago, dave69 said:

Wales has always had regions.As a rule all the best players went to 4 clubs bar a few spells when other clubs had a golden period.When Newport RFC got stitched up by the Dragons I walked away from the game and have no intention of watching it again except on the telly.I played for about 25 years and this modern game does nothing for me.

That comment about dominance is probably ingrained in every team sport in Britain.

I agree with you though as a general statement i find the professionalism in the game and the rules to make Rugby Union a more predictable and controlled game and less entertaining.

50 minutes ago, bluejam said:

For once CC I have got to disagreeB)It wasn't the best of performances set piece wise,but showed a lot of character to come back from 13pts unanswered.With 10 seconds left Gareth Davies instead running a play dead decided to hand possession to the Irish(you could have heard everyone screaming at their widescreen TVs in Wales shouting WTF!!!:rolleyes:)Thought the Welsh pack put in a hell of an effort defensively.The Irish lacked discipline with the penalty count and the sending off of O'Mahony only galvanised them only for Burns to go and fluff it.Huge sighs of relief all over Wales come final whistle;) 

That's ok Bluejam a forum is a place for discussion, disagreement and different opinions.

I suppose my comments does undersell the defensive effort put in by the Welsh Team.

From an attacking point of view. I don't see a style of play developing.

We are going back to slinging the ball around but execution is poor.

Tactically we also like to keep the ball alive and back our fitness and defense, but that  today played into Irelands hands as ball retention is a massive strength. 

Arguably we got outplayed by 14 who have a much bigger idea about how and what they want to achieve.

Gareth Davies will rightly get criticised, but I did he take it on because of this idea that we have to play more attacking rugby.

We were lucky, but I'll take a win.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

That's ok Bluejam a forum is a place for discussion, disagreement and different opinions.

I suppose my comments does undersell the defensive effort put in by the Welsh Team.

From an attacking point of view. I don't see a style of play developing.

We are going back to slinging the ball around but execution is poor.

Tactically we also like to keep the ball alive and back our fitness and defense, but that  today played into Irelands hands as ball retention is a massive strength. 

Arguably we got outplayed by 14 who have a much bigger idea about how and what they want to achieve.

Gareth Davies will rightly get criticised, but I did he take it on because of this idea that we have to play more attacking rugby.

We were lucky, but I'll take a win.

Couldn't agree more CC.It's a little aimless and there does seem to be a lack of direction in going forward and what Wales are aiming for.Just think you've got to give it time and patience to achieve the goal(if the Welsh set up know what that is).There are positives but obviously much to work on;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Neither took the knee, so Wales are now my new team...:)

Do any teams take a knee in rugby? I haven't seen it yet. Mind you I only see internationals, I haven't got BT to see any domestic games.

13 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Do any teams take a knee in rugby? I haven't seen it yet. Mind you I only see internationals, I haven't got BT to see any domestic games.

They do, but plenty don't...

Image result for take a knee in rugby

Edited by Blupanther

Well next weekend will be interesting after the results from round one. England home to Italy which should be a comfortable home win, however after the performance against Scotland maybe not so sure now. Hopefully they will put the frustration of the last game into this and batter Italy as a response to that game.

Scotland/Wales both teams on a back of a win though Scotland more in control in their win than Wales. Not sure which way this one will go as both teams now with a win will hopefully them the confidence boost they need.

Ireland/France looking forward to this one as Ireland will need to get a win if they want to be in with a chance of the trophy and were slightly unlucky against the Welsh. France though are looking like they are finally sorted out whatever the problems have been in the past and are showing the class they have with help from Edwards in the coaching team.

Only downside this weekend watching the games was that it just made me miss even more being down pitchside at the local club watching them :(:drink:

• Like 1

Wales sneaked away with a win. Burns, the Englishman turned green won't be welcome back in Ireland, along with O'Mahony, his 14th.minute indiscretion costing Ireland the game. Only Irishman to be sent off in 6 nations. Wales will have to play better in Scotland this weekend. Shame there werent 70000 plus there to witness a cracking match.

Great win by the Jocks, England were awful, and not a good game. Their star backs hardly touching the ball.

8 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Wales sneaked away with a win. Burns, the Englishman turned green won't be welcome back in Ireland, along with O'Mahony, his 14th.minute indiscretion costing Ireland the game. Only Irishman to be sent off in 6 nations. Wales will have to play better in Scotland this weekend. Shame there werent 70000 plus there to witness a cracking match.

Great win by the Jocks, England were awful, and not a good game. Their star backs hardly touching the ball.

Even Jonny May had an off day.

It makes you wonder whether the backs do any practice in training, such is the ineptitude of their play.

Does it just consist of scrum, crash ball, ruck, crash ball, ruck, crash ball, kick?

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

It makes you wonder whether the backs do any practice in training, such is the ineptitude of their play.

Does it just consist of scrum, crash ball, ruck, crash ball, ruck, crash ball, kick?

Jonny, Chiseldon lad and ex-Swindon Town youth footballer.

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

England don't seem to have a plan b , just keep doing the same thing 

• Thanks 1

Finally, ball passed to the wings.