British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, DC2 said:

Where did gloating come from in rugby, particularly at the expense of another country rather than from pride in your own?

I don’t remember it at all in the 1970s when I loved watching the fabulous Welsh team and seeing Beaumont and Lampchowski put in good performances (as England rarely won).

Rugby used to have friendly rivalry rather than the hatred in football (from Scottish football supporters pulling down the Wembley goalposts?). 

Did it stem from England winning the World Cup or the advent of social media?

Lets not forget the England fans who rioted throughout Europe in the 1980s and were banned for a few seasons.

• Thanks 1

Wales have themselves to blame. They were in possession in midfield with less than a minute to go. 
how the hell did they lose that match ????

félicitations Les Bleus. 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, bendover said:

Think it's time to review Italys place in the six nations. I'm in favour of a return to 5 nations, but realise the the loss of a game (financially) would be a non starter for the other unions.

So is it a straight promotion/relegation or a play off with the championship?

It would take them a few years but I think Georgia should be given a shout instead of Italy. 

in 20 years they haven’t improved at all. Time to let another nation have a go 

20 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

It would take them a few years but I think Georgia should be given a shout instead of Italy. 

Italy are joint owners of the Six Nations which I think pre-COVID had the highest average attendance and is amongst the highest viewerships of any sports competition in the world. 

So I think there's little chance of the turkey voting for Christmas...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Italy are joint owners of the Six Nations which I think pre-COVID had the highest average attendance and is amongst the highest viewerships of any sports competition in the world. 

So I think there's little chance of the turkey voting for Christmas...

Maybe so, but I’m thinking from a sporting point of view, a good friend of mine was their defence coach in the last World Cup and he reckons in a few years they could br better than Italy no problem. 

Also. Look out for the USA, they’re pumping a lot of resources into rugby at the moment 

Scotland superb , improved so much the last 2 or 3 years.

Well done Scotland, congrats to Wales.

12 hours ago, Pinny said:

Scotland superb , improved so much the last 2 or 3 years.

They have indeed:t:Hamish Watson and Stuart Hogg have been outstanding throughout the 6 Nations for the Scots;)

On a completely different subject watching Super Rugby Aotearoa yesterday and Jordie Barrett scored all 30pts for the Hurricanes:o

• Like 2

This weekend the Womens Six Nations starts though a slightly different format the games will be warms up ready for the Eng v Fra encounter that will see who will win the tournament.

Also I saw WR are setting up a new tournament in the Womens game so there are leagues with countries doing battle with promotion/relegation. A great idea to help expand the female game and get more nations competitive. Shame they cannot line the Men six nations up with the rest of the European championship and so we have promotion/relegation in that.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see how many England players are in Gatland’s squad tomorrow as he’s notoriously biased to the Welsh!

Itoje, Curry, B Vunipola, Farrell, Watson and Daly should be certs?

M Vunipola, Sinckler, Cowan-Dickie, Underhill, Simmonds, Care, Ford, Slade and May maybes?

• Like 1

Despite not playing well this year, many England players should be selected. Because a lot of them are very good at playing a highly structured controlled game which is Gatlands style and also because they simply are world class.

Additionally many England players playing in the Premiership, who aren't on the English radar for whatever reason, are worth considering.

I think the perceived Welsh bias, based on initial Gatland squads is slightly unfair.

Based on the initial 2017 squad, there wasn't a perceived bias towards England. 

However as soon as they took the decision to call up players based on proximity which was a massive mistake, there was this notion that there was a strong Welsh bias.

2017 Initial Squad -41 players

16 England, 12 Wales, 11 Ireland, 2 Scotland

(6 additional players called up because of proximity (4 Welsh, 2 Scottish) 

2013 Initial squad - 37 players 

15 Wesh, 10 England, 9 Irish, 3 Scottish

I think it's actually likely to be the most balanced Lions squad in terms of representation for a while.

• Like 1