British Speedway Forum

On 1/7/2020 at 8:14 AM, HGould said:

Whoever thought this up needs sacking!

I'm a speedway fan, reasonably well off and Somerset / Cardiff was OK for me as I'd do both meetings from Midlands as 2 separate trips to avoid stupid Hotel Rates in Cardiff.

Lots of fans do Somerset and Cardiff as a round trip, stay over and its the annual pilgrimage to the mecca of the sport at Cardiff. This adds on for many an extra night and extra meeting and for those up North/Scotland and down South a very late return home Sunday night / Monday early hours.

I won't do all 3 in 3 days. I'll go to Cardiff, go home and then a short trek over to Leicester.

Why not 4's at Peterborough where set up and racing last season was "off the scale" superb meeting, not that Pairs wasn't too but that place is not capable of handling big crowds (Somerset).

Leicester is a lovely set up but naff track, limited parking and from what I have heard Pits are very small and not a lot of space.

Why couldn't we have 4's at Peterborough in May, 4's at Somerset in July, and CLRC at Sheffield in September??

It would be too sensible to have the 4s in  May, at Somerset in July and CLRC in September but our sport promoters seem to think that they know best and to h---l with the supporters who      pay to keep the sport going. If this is there attitude  I can see another Workington happening in the very near future.Why -o-why wont the promoters use the old saying "if it is not broke why try to fix it", BUT they know best!!!!   

Maybe Should have the fours on the Friday at Somerset and the pairs at Leicester on the Sunday 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Maybe Should have the fours on the Friday at Somerset and the pairs at Leicester on the Sunday 

You have had a thought haven't you? Can't see the powers that be changing the plans for this year, but there is a large slice of sense in your suggestion. 

• Like 1

Why run two National Comps together in the same weekend?

They have done the same in the past with League play offs and cups, cramming them all in at the end of the season...

Which, if you are successful, results in people picking and choosing what finals to attend due to cost..

Spread out the National finals through the year..

It maintains interest across the season and will help the punters affordability...

And also means teams who start the season well but then maybe have injuries and tail off, or teams that invest and make changes mid season can still be in the running for some success.. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 10:24 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

So it's at Leicester the day after Cardiff. Three big meetings in three days for a lot of folk with Somerset for the pairs, Cardiff GP and then Leicester.

Personaly I'd rather see the bigger meetings spaced out through the season but will have to start saving and find appropriate accomodation . Any suggestions where to park ? as had issues in the past at Leicester.

Due to the strict time limit imposed on parking at Leicester, and to help meet anticipated demand levels, free parking will be available at both Peterborough and Sheffield speedway stadia, with free shuttle buses provided to and from Leicester.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Due to the strict time limit imposed on parking at Leicester, and to help meet anticipated demand levels, free parking will be available at both Peterborough and Sheffield speedway stadia, with free shuttle buses provided to and from Leicester.

FREE PARKING......UNBELIEVABLE.......THERE'S GOT TO BE A CATCH SOMEWHERE.

This to me just confirms that Leicester is not a suitable venue for this event, they just don't have enough seating for those that have a medical reason for needing to sit.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

Why run two National Comps together in the same weekend?

They have done the same in the past with League play offs and cups, cramming them all in at the end of the season...

Which, if you are successful, results in people picking and choosing what finals to attend due to cost..

Spread out the National finals through the year..

It maintains interest across the season and will help the punters affordability...

And also means teams who start the season well but then maybe have injuries and tail off, or teams that invest and make changes mid season can still be in the running for some success.. 

Totally agree

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:09 PM, iainb said:

All generally by 1 rider though... Scott Nicholls

Rubbish - just look back at some of the videos from last season.

• Like 3

I (along with many others) have expressed serious misgivings about running this meeting at Leicester and running it on the Cardiff weekend.
However, let's take a more positive view of this decision by the powers-that-be. We're not really likely to get the decision reversed or modified are we?

I regained my real fanaticism of the sport last year which had taken a real hit after the temporary closure of Brandon at the end of the 2016 season. I adopted Leicester as my home track and set about supporting the Lions and the Lion Cubs with renewed vigour. I hardly missed a home fixture all year. So as well as 50 years of watching speedway and the time at Beaumont Park last year, I think I can make some informed comments.

Having the fours at Leicester will mean the 60 (?) riders having very little pit space. It will mean the fans being jolly careful where they park their cars. And if we turn up in numbers it will probably be as cozy as the 90 odd thousand fans were at Wembley for the 1981 World final. However, the meeting itself i.e. the on track action, could well be an enjoyable spectacle. And as speedway racing fans isn't that what really matters?

I can see why they have done it False Dawn but as usual I don't believe it's for the benefit of the fans however well Rob tries to dress it up.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

I can see why they have done it False Dawn but as usual I don't believe it's for the benefit of the fans however well Rob tries to dress it up.

As Tai (and many others) have a habit of saying these days, "It is what it is". That is, the meeting is going to be there, on that date. We have a choice to go or not.

P.S. it's dawn, the time of day, not Dawn. I'm a bloke! :drink:

5 hours ago, False dawn said:

I (along with many others) have expressed serious misgivings about running this meeting at Leicester and running it on the Cardiff weekend.
However, let's take a more positive view of this decision by the powers-that-be. We're not really likely to get the decision reversed or modified are we?

I regained my real fanaticism of the sport last year which had taken a real hit after the temporary closure of Brandon at the end of the 2016 season. I adopted Leicester as my home track and set about supporting the Lions and the Lion Cubs with renewed vigour. I hardly missed a home fixture all year. So as well as 50 years of watching speedway and the time at Beaumont Park last year, I think I can make some informed comments.

Having the fours at Leicester will mean the 60 (?) riders having very little pit space. It will mean the fans being jolly careful where they park their cars. And if we turn up in numbers it will probably be as cozy as the 90 odd thousand fans were at Wembley for the 1981 World final. However, the meeting itself i.e. the on track action, could well be an enjoyable spectacle. And as speedway racing fans isn't that what really matters?

Definitely a major part of any meeting but having watched the action at Leicester I wouldn’t describe it as a good race track.

Somerset does provide good racing but neither venue should stage major meetings because of a complete lack of decent facilities for spectators.

• Like 1

My local speedway stadium is Leicester as Coventry is not existing at this present time (I would welcome Brandon Bees back with open arms and totally support the wonderful people who are fighting hard for this purpose). The racing at Leicester can be very exciting and I have been to many tracks in my years. I still have some tracks in GB  to attend and for the sake of supporting speedway and of those tracks I have been to I would visit most of them again. However the Championship Fours (in my opinion) should NOT be held at Leicester. Parking facilities are not adequate, there is not enough room in the pits for racers and their bikes and the facilities (bars, etc.) would not cope.

Looking forward to this and really good idea to hold it after Cardiff IMO. 

As long as the start time isn't to late that's my only concern.  

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:25 PM, SteelShoe said:

That is a few times that you have mentioned "Rob" as if it is his decision & his alone. How do you know that Rob agreed to it? Could Rob have been against the proposal but out voted as this is how decisions are made, by votes. The BSPA has a committee of 5 members but almost all the promoters would have had a vote.

By the way, I do not agree that all 3 meetings should be on the same weekend, as it could be a financial burden to some families with it being just before the summer holidays.

There is also the issue that Peterborough could not fit it in at the Showground.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1