jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Today’s UK  Hospital Covid 19 reported deaths
England  118     33110

Scotland  0  (2849)

Wales  3  (1891)

NI   8  (724)

After two low weekend figures it’ll be 450 tomorrow and the media will be over it like a rash!

• Like 3

Herd immunity doesn't work, a vaccine is way off, segregation is unworkable, what is proven evidentially.... a lock down. Blame the 'Benny's' for ignoring sensible rules and spreading it. Don't worry lads Nigel will look after you helped by his inspirational mate Donny !!!

Edited by Pieman72
grammar
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, iris123 said:

We had a political chat show last night with an alternative view

I was listening to a Professor from the Charité in Berlin yesterday and he started well

We don't need to lockdown. What we do, he said is protect the vulnerable. Give them all proper face masks. The cost will be a lot less to society than a lockdown

All well and good, so far. I was with him

Then he said, we have to appeal to the rest of society to behave sensibly and we have to tell them why it is necessary, again and again......

That is where he lost me. And of course the Minister from Bavaria jumped straight in and said, we have tried that time and time again and it doesn't work. Yup I thought

Nice try, but wrong professor or wrong tactic

In terms of deaths it doesn’t matter how society at large behaves as long as the vulnerable are protected.

In terms of “protecting the NHS” it would be interesting to have a figure for the number of non-vulnerables who have required hospitalisation.

If that figure was no more than 10% in the first wave no restrictions for society at large should not overwhelm the NHS (subject to practical distancing, washing hands and masks on public transport).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

After two low weekend figures it’ll be 450 tomorrow and the media will be over it like a rash!

Well going by Blu's post yesterday, the right wing groups on the net were all over the low weekend figures........

Just now, iris123 said:

Well going by Blu's post yesterday, the right wing groups on the net were all over the low weekend figures........

I’m not interested in conspiracy theories or even points of principle about civil liberties.

I’m interested only in the best practical solution.

6 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Herd immunity doesn't work, a vaccine is way off, segregation is unworkable, what is proven evidentially.... a lock down. Blame the 'Benny's' for ignoring sensible rules and spreading it. Don't worry lads Nigel will look after you helped by his inspirational mate Donny !!!

Could you explain why herd immunity “doesn’t work” and why segregation is unworkable?

Have you got any links to studies or modelling for them?

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I’m not interested in conspiracy theories or even points of principle about civil liberties.

I’m interested only in the best practical solution.

Well jumping on the press, seems a bit childish. They might make a headline out of a jump, but they have a story behind it. Most people know by now, apart from Blu, that the weekend figures are low. What is being talked about mainly, isn't a daily change, but the general trend. It is just like Blu tends to talk about weather, rather than climate.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

What a load of self centred clap trap. So when you go to the doctors you tell him he's unhelpful and his scientific evidence for your diagnosis is just scaremongering. What a loser don't you care about the staff working in the NHS.

Sorry pal I appreciate your circumstances from posts you have put on before but if you want to call me a loser fine. I probably am going to be a loser due to the income I will be losing from not being able to do my job (I'm self employed) but hey I must be selfish. But please mate stop using the old chestnut of not caring for the NHS when someone on here dares not share the same opinion as you. The NHS is being made out to be a sacred cow. They do a good job but they are not exempt from criticism. The trouble now is that it almost becoming high treason to dare say anything against them. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well jumping on the press, seems a bit childish. They might make a headline out of a jump, but they have a story behind it. Most people know by now, apart from Blu, that the weekend figures are low. What is being talked about mainly, isn't a daily change, but the general trend. It is just like Blu tends to talk about weather, rather than climate.....

Jumping on the press “childish”?

Really?

If they were objective and investigative rather than sensationalist they would not be criticised.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Really?

If they were objective and investigative rather than sensationalist they would not be criticised.

But then no -one would be interested........

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Really?

Yes, because anybody who actually cares about the virus, knows there are less infections etc reported in a lot of countries at the weekend.......we have had about 8 monhs of it. If they don't know now, then there is no hope 

9 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, because anybody who actually cares about the virus, knows there are less infections etc reported in a lot of countries at the weekend.......we have had about 8 monhs of it. If they don't know now, then there is no hope 

But that’s irrelevant to your point about the press.

Criticising them is not childish at all if it is warranted and it is warranted when they try to manipulate public opinion by giving weight to higher figures and ignoring lower ones.

13 minutes ago, dj350z said:

But then no -one would be interested........

I think many more people would be interested in the press if they told the truth and were objective.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

But that’s irrelevant to your point about the press.

Criticising them is not childish at all if it is warranted and it is warranted when they try to manipulate public opinion by giving weight to higher figures and ignoring lower ones.

Its only your opinion that they are. When I look at this on the BBC it all seems well presented with 14 day trends etc

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

• Like 1