British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

4 hours ago, DC2 said:

Could you explain why herd immunity “doesn’t work” and why segregation is unworkable?

Have you got any links to studies or modelling for them?

This is not the Flu so immunity is not proven as you can catch the virus again. How can you segregate the vulnerable could you explain how you would do it. A lot of people have rolled this one out but lacking detail. Also Covid does not discriminate normal healthy individuals get it too.

11 minutes ago, DC2 said:

That’s the slant you’re putting on it.

You’re dismissing the risk factors as acknowledged by the government.

Why shouldn’t a healthy, responsible 25 year old continue to work and lead a relatively normal life, especially if he has children?

It shouldn’t be a requirement for over 60s to stay inside. They should be encouraged to enjoy the fresh air, but to distance, and each over 60 should be entitled to choose their own precautions.

For example, a healthy, slim over 60 might decide to live with few precautions and others may decide that meeting with family members (currently outlawed by the government) is a risk worth taking to make their lives more enjoyable.

So. No compulsory quarantine but the over 60 living with few precautions still runs the risk of rubbing up against the fit looking virus carrying 25 year old in their local co-op.

Isn't that where we are today in some areas?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DC2 said:

That’s the slant you’re putting on it.

You’re dismissing the risk factors as acknowledged by the government.

Why shouldn’t a healthy, responsible 25 year old continue to work and lead a relatively normal life, 

The flaw in the scenario is the word responsible . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Pieman72 said:

This is not the Flu so immunity is not proven as you can catch the virus again. How can you segregate the vulnerable could you explain how you would do it. A lot of people have rolled this one out but lacking detail. Also Covid does not discriminate normal healthy individuals get it too.

Immunity doesn't mean you can't catch the virus again, immunity means that if and when you do catch it again, your immune system can deal with it and make it less severe. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Also Covid does not discriminate normal healthy individuals get it too.

Nobody is denying that. However, for the overwhelming majority of "normal healthy individuals", it is only a minor ailment...

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

Nobody is denying that. However, for the overwhelming majority of "normal healthy individuals", it is only a minor ailment...

But isn’t this the problem that has been pointed out before with this theory of protecting the vulnerable ? Who looks after them ? Young healthy people who might not even show any symptoms....

Now, they are talking about having a quick test where you get the result within about 10 minutes. So if it is any good, you can test people before they start their shift. But what happens if someone fails ? Who jumps in to do their shift ?

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

But in reality it’s such a small number of people doing this it will hardly make a difference. Just the press jumping on any indiscretion for a story.

I wonder if those moaning about the young have forgotten how many laws they broke in there younger days, I can honestly say I broke my fair share.

So did I and I cringe when I think of them now but it does not make it right then or now.  A 94 year old woman said to me over the weekend, I dont want to hinder the young  but does that mean I have to stay at home for the short part of my life that is left.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

But isn’t this the problem that has been pointed out before with this theory of protecting the vulnerable ? Who looks after them ? Young healthy people who might not even show any symptoms....

I agree it's a problem, but that doesn't mean everyone should be locked away. I have no symptoms, and I don't think I have it. However, when I go out, I wear a mask, and I keep my distance from people. Okay, I do that because I hate people, but...

People of ALL ages need to take precautions and be sensible, although as previously stated, the latter doesn't seem to exist...

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

I agree it's a problem, but that doesn't mean everyone should be locked away. I have no symptoms, and I don't think I have it. However, when I go out, I wear a mask, and I keep my distance from people. Okay, I do that because I hate people, but...

People of ALL ages need to take precautions and be sensible, although as previously stated, the latter doesn't seem to exist...

I am with you 

I don’t think lockdown is the right measure at this stage, as I posted yesterday, an article from the States

But we have had DC2’s proposal to lock away the vulnerable on here months ago and it was hard to see how it would work considering those looking after a lot of them also have a life to lead outside of their job

Now I asked earlier if he he wanted an NZ solution of Covid camps, but didn’t get an answer

I also don’t think it right to have a half arsed lockdown like we are getting now. Punishing certain sections of society who it can’t be proved are anywhere near a part of the problem. Restaurants or sports clubs

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I am with you 

I don’t think lockdown is the right measure at this stage, as I posted yesterday, an article from the States

But we have had DC2’s proposal to lock away the vulnerable on here months ago and it was hard to see how it would work considering those looking after a lot of them also have a life to lead outside of their job

Now I asked earlier if he he wanted an NZ solution of Covid camps, but didn’t get an answer

I also don’t think it right to have a half arsed lockdown like we are getting now. Punishing certain sections of society who it can’t be proved are anywhere near a part of the problem. Restaurants or sports clubs

Agree 100%

Scenarios are being used to destroy many thousands of lives. Not forecasts or predictions, made up ruddy scenarios... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Could all be seen as 'non essential' enterprises, whereas supermarkets and takeaways aren't. ;)

Currently working for a nurse in the Gwent.A handful of Covid cases and 2 in ICU.Capacity normal for this time of year.

• Like 2

Just now, iris123 said:

The problem is that there is no single answer.

When I look at action that has been taken around the world, there are so many different courses that have been taken. That also means it is difficult to pinpoint what does and doesn't help.

Thing is, so many decisions don't make any sense whatsoever! Regardless of what anyone may think, we DO need fresh air, and people still need to work, to look after family, and basically LIVE A LIFE etc.

In the UK, does it make sense to tell people to stay in the house, and not go out in the garden? Does it make sense to close garden centres as non-essential when people growing their own produce can really help the economy, and keep things on supermarket shelves? Why was fishing banned, when you can be out on your own away from people?

Why, in the US, was I advised to go out and exercise in a park, where others are? I like to walk in cemeteries, but they were closed! Most of the other people in there are already dead...

Why are items like toothbrushes deemed as non-essential, but you can still buy alcohol?

Why can "elite" sport carry on, but "non-elite" sport can't? 

You aren't allowed to visit and elderly relative who needs care, but you can mingle with people you don't know, in a store?

Nothing makes any sense...

• Like 8