British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...but probably more likely to adhere to recent guidelines.

That would make sense as they are the most vulnerable.

It also makes sense that youngsters regard Covid as no worse than a cold and that some treat the unwarranted, draconian government measures with disdain.

• Like 3

Yesterday Hancock said the Tier System had been proven to control the “old” virus.

What a buffoon.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yesterday Hancock said the Tier System had been proven to control the “old” virus.

What a buffoon.

Well it has.....if you compare it to his mate Fergusons wild estimates.....it's only those with some idea of realism that could doubt it works brilliantly.

We do of course have the paradox that weekly cases are estimated high by the ONS but total, cumulative deaths are played down.

Now we have the paradox of hospitalisations being higher than April but deaths being a third of the April peak.

Is that because hospitals are now taking in sick people from care homes and actually treating the over 80s?

Of course the “explanation” will not admit that and it will be about dextramethasone, remdesivir, and our “better understanding of how to treat the disease”, but will anyone really believe that they save more than 50% of lives!

46 minutes ago, DC2 said:

It also makes sense that youngsters regard Covid as no worse than a cold and that some treat the unwarranted, draconian government measures with disdain.

...and respect the fact that they are potential transmitters therefore need to take into account that guidelines are in place for all however draconian they may appear to be rather than flocking in numbers potentially spreading the virus as is the case in York as was/is the case when large groups were drinking carousing totally dis-regarding the guidelines in place.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I have a 17 year old son, and the reason he treats the measures with disdain is because he's being sent to a school that reports more cases of Covid every day, then being told he's not allowed to go out in the evening and see the people he has to sit next to all day anyway because it might spread a disease.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and respect the fact that they are potential transmitters therefore need to take into account that guidelines are in place for all however draconian they may appear to be rather than flocking in numbers potentially spreading the virus as is the case in York.

Yes, while the young may have a moral duty not to transmit, the old have one not to put themselves at risk.

Given that asymptomatics are far less likely to transmit, presymptomatics do it for two days and symptomatics do it for five, it would have been far better to have had one measure: all symptomatics to quarantine for five days.

Most people would think that a reasonable compromise.

And a prior positive test result should not have been necessary.

That would have been far clearer, far cheaper and far more effective than the ludicrously complicated and unnecessary Tier and Lockdown responses.

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I have a 17 year old son, and the reason he treats the measures with disdain is because he's being sent to a school that reports more cases of Covid every day, then being told he's not allowed to go out in the evening and see the people he has to sit next to all day anyway because it might spread a disease.

Yes I can see the dilema and totally agree that some of the guidelines appear fudged and ill-concieved. I have often posted on here that I can travel on a bus with twenty strangers not knowing their background and/or health issues but can't have a neighbour visit my home where I can place social distances in accordance and know that the place is clean. However my main gripe are people who travel beyond different Tier regions. At the end of the day it should be left to one own's conscience and doing the right thing and respecting others.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Yes, while the young may have a moral duty not to transmit, the old have one not to put themselves at risk.

Given that asymptomatics are far less likely to transmit, presymptomatics do it for two days and symptomatics do it for five, it would have been far better to have had one measure: all symptomatics to quarantine for five days.

Most people would think that a reasonable compromise.

And a prior positive test result should not have been necessary.

That would have been far clearer, far cheaper and far more effective than the ludicrously complicated and unnecessary Tier and Lockdown responses.

Depends what the criteria is being old. I'm sixty and working putting myself 'at risk' as well as being a carer which is the dilema trying to balance the two. I would agree that the system is un-clear and frought with issues and could have been made much clearer and simpler to comprehend.

17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and respect the fact that they are potential transmitters therefore need to take into account that guidelines are in place for all however draconian they may appear to be rather than flocking in numbers potentially spreading the virus as is the case in York as was/is the case when large groups were drinking carousing totally dis-regarding the guidelines in place.

Exactly, potential - because no-one knows how the virus is transmitted, only guesses.  That's why we do not really know if a lockdown is effective at all.

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

At the end of the day it should be left to one own's conscience and doing the right thing and respecting others.

A think quite a portion of society would fail on both those points.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...but probably more likely to adhere to recent guidelines.

They're not. The elderly are some of the worst rule breakers going on the ones I've seen.

They seem to think they can carry on as they like, even though all the restrictions and economic destruction is supposed to be for their benefit.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

They're not. The elderly are some of the worst rule breakers going on the ones I've seen.

They seem to think they can carry on as they like, even though all the restrictions and economic destruction is supposed to be for their benefit.

...they're not the ones gathering in York drinking and carousing having travelled from Tier Three areas. Again it depends on how one categories 'elderly' ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Exactly, potential - because no-one knows how the virus is transmitted, only guesses.  That's why we do not really know if a lockdown is effective at all.

Yes. I have seen a number of reports stating different places. Supermarkets, a couple of days sgo in Sweden they were saying schools, but seemingly only the teachers . It was supposedly the Austrian apres Ski Parties and then the Carnival parties in Germany that set it all going. Then meat factories. But nobody as far as I have seen has put it down to pubs or restaurants or cinemas yet that is what has been closed

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A think quite a portion of society would fail on both those points.

Unfortunately I think that you are right. Still waiting for my ticket however?

• Like 1