British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

4 minutes ago, Vince said:

You might imagine but I know :D

It's quite a lot more than a couple most often but I very clearly never said that it would compare with people working in large warehouses or supermarkets, just that they aren't isolated by any means.

However it would be very comparable to many workers and certainly from far more areas than most.

I know as well :D

. I know how the drivers work at our place. Plus we work next to an Amazon warehouse and a few others. They only have to meet one person in the office and one person at the other end. As the restaurants etc are closed they don’t have that opportunity any more. Which has caused some national uproar. Plus the few prostitutes caravans on the main roads have been very quiet due to restrictions. So that opportunity seems to be shut to them as well

Now there are the drivers who have much longer tours and have to meet less people. They aren’t comparable to DHL or UPS drivers who meet far more people in a day

Edited by iris123

Is DC not about to pick a fight with?

I can only bow to your vast experience of the life of a lorry driver by watching them walk by.

I now drive to a pallet hub every night and would estimate there are 500 plus other drivers from all over the country there sharing one tea room and one toilet block. 

All I pointed out is that many drivers are far from isolated.

• Thanks 1

Maybe it has been stricter here. But the fact is those held up at the border are international drivers, not people doing national jobs. So would also be driving through Europe and on longer tours than local drivers

I know at our place there is a small area about 1-2 m inside that the drivers shouldn’t pass and not come in without a mask 

Edited by iris123

32 minutes ago, Vince said:

Is DC not about to pick a fight with?

I can only bow to your vast experience of the life of a lorry driver by watching them walk by.

I now drive to a pallet hub every night and would estimate there are 500 plus other drivers from all over the country there sharing one tea room and one toilet block. 

All I pointed out is that many drivers are far from isolated.

Clearly as a lorry driver in England you have far less experience of lorry drivers in England than Iris sat on his oracle in Germany!  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Maybe it has been stricter here. But the fact is those held up at the border are international drivers, not people doing national jobs. So would also be driving through Europe and on longer tours than local drivers

I know at our place there is a small area about 1-2 m inside that the drivers shouldn’t pass and not come in without a mask 

Give it up, Iris.  :rofl:

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Clearly as a lorry driver in England you have far less experience of lorry drivers in England than Iris sat on his oracle in Germany!  :D

We are talking about international drivers stuck at a border. Not english/welsh lorry drivers who go home to their family at night B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Today’s UK Hospital Covid 19 reported deaths

England   161  48183

Scotland   not reported   (4472)

Wales  35  (3396)

NI  not reported (1251)

total  196     - last Saturday 432

All UK Covid 19 deaths reported today - Hospital  196 other 14 total 210

Quite staggering that some folk still think masks and social distancing protects you from microbial airborne viruses...:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, iris123 said:

So that is one place in Germany. Meanwhile in the UK the situation is as I have explained. Some, not all, places visited by lorry drivers they mix with multiple people, not forgetting that some UK drivers and all international drivers also have to shop, eat and wash in places where many others do the same.

As for international drivers working longer hours I think that demonstrates your real understanding of the subject.

5 minutes ago, Vince said:

So that is one place in Germany. Meanwhile in the UK the situation is as I have explained. Some, not all, places visited by lorry drivers they mix with multiple people, not forgetting that some UK drivers and all international drivers also have to shop, eat and wash in places where many others do the same.

As for international drivers working longer hours I think that demonstrates your real understanding of the subject.

I didn’t say anything about longer hours. I said longer tours. A driver from Spain, Italy or Germany traveling to and from the UK is on the road longer. Just look at a map.... seems your geography is letting you down or you think the UK is bigger than it really is

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

I didn’t say anything about longer hours. I said longer tours. A driver from Spain, Italy or Germany traveling to and from the UK is on the road longer. Just look at a map.... seems your geography is letting you down or you think the UK is bigger than it really is

Not a clue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vince said:

Not a clue!

No. That is why drivers from Eastern Europe were complaining they hadn’t been home for 3 or 4 weeks at a time....,,most of the drrivers I saw interviewed sounded Eastern European and who knows some might have been delivering bananas from Poland...

Edited by iris123

That's away from home....not distance travelled. Some eastern European drivers will have been in the UK longer than that.

I'll just accept that having spent my life in the transport industry through Mechanic, owner driver, transport manager (with all the necessary qualifications), recruitment consultant and now driver I couldn't possibly know as much as you.

That's it as I'm not getting involved any longer in one of your little bitching spats on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some, is the best you can come up with as you have no idea how many of the thousands of drivers  are in that category even with decades of experience