British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Fit does not guarantee healthy i'm afraid, if it did thousands of fit people wouldn't die on sports fields every year ...

...I only quoted that before some 'smart alec' made a comment that those with 'underlying health issues' were more at risk.  Another confusing message as cases have been reported covering both supposedly fit people and those with health issues. It's a complex issue hence why we all need to be on our guard. 

Edited by steve roberts

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hodgy said:

No, I was pointing out your contradiction. You continually state Lockdowns don’t work but openly admit you don’t adhere. As per usual you try and deflect and put words into others mouths. Sounds very familiar....

...yes a certain BWitcher was very prone in suggesting that.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Fit does not guarantee healthy i'm afraid, if it did thousands of fit people wouldn't die on sports fields every year ...

I am aware that sometimes people described as being fit and healthy do occasionally expire during sports events,  but apparently i must keep my eyes open when i pass my local sports fields to see if there are any uncollected bodies of the thousands of fit people lying around. Is this just a local problem in Suffolk ?

:D

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Do you have any stats to back that up. Not the source, as that has been proved to be not reliable. 

Yes:

DC2 Covid record:

Lockdown breaches 0

Correct predictions/exposure of Government lies, failings and sensationalism: 50

Source: ONS 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jrs said:

I am aware that sometimes people described as being fit and healthy do occasionally expire during sports events,  but apparently i must keep my eyes open when i pass my local sports fields to see if there are any uncollected bodies of the thousands of fit people lying around. Is this just a local problem in Suffolk ?

:D

And by comparison, in this devastating Pandemic how many healthy people under 40 have died with Covid in Suffolk over the last nine months?

50,000?

Or 5?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

The ONS figures for England says the death total for those under 60 with no underlying health problems is 388, throughout the pandemic. 388.

Now in a normal year that age group would contribute over 1100 road traffic fatalities. Alcohol deaths in Scotland alone are 1150 each year. 
It important to put numbers in context. 
It’s not possible to ensure “ safety” unless you choose not to live. 
Covid spares the healthy, pretty much and kills the old and frail. It leaves those under 20 untouched, unless severe underlying health issues which are life limiting in themselves. 
Influenza by comparison is a bigger problem for the younger demographic. It does kill, albeit small numbers. 
The govt promoted propaganda has lead to a safety cult and hysteria this year. If we follow it with their logic, alcohol and cigarettes must be banned and all vehicles quarantined. It is too dangerous to travel or cross any road. 
But that would be too stupid, wouldn’t it......which is why we are in this position. 

I think it was Stalin who commented that Western democracies can’t control their people by force, they do so by controlling what they think.....

Much of what you say makes sense but it doesn't make understanding covid any easier for the many. People of all ages are potential transmitters if not high risk themselves which has created the scenario we now have with varying guidelines in place. I often quote, and will do so again, I'm the first to say that all the guidelines put in place I don't neceassirly agree with but to place the blame on the UK Government peddling propaganda is somewhat mis-placed as similar procedures have been introduced by other Governments around the world....right or wrong.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hodgy said:

It may not work but it’s much more credible to prove it, by all following it, rather than deliberately flaunting it. 

You have a point.

But if a measure is too subjective, too complicated or too unpopular for everyone to follow it has an inherent degree of failure.

A targeted quarantine on the other hand does not depend on the whole of society complying in the same way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tim G said:

The problem is this is not really a lockdown so it will definitely  not work and the politicians will blame the public. Where I live there is a parade of 12 shops, 11 of them are open as they are classed as essential, only the charity shop is closed so nothing has really changed.

I think this might be because people are getting sick to the back teeth of trying the same thing which isn't yielding good results, therefore people who deemed the risk unacceptable in the spring are now essentially saying 'Screw it'. Case in point being the military. I work in a defence training school. In April we did whatever the schools did. This time, we are still open for business (albeit in a slightly reduced capacity)

Edited by Kedavra
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

I think it was Stalin who commented that Western democracies can’t control their people by force, they do so by controlling what they think.....

So,,, if you can get everyone to think that everyone else is a threat, maybe folk will eventually begin to only think of themselves?

Who said the 'bogey-man' doesn't exist? ;)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Much of what you say makes sense but it doesn't make understanding covid any easier for the many. People of all ages are potential transmitters if not high risk themselves which has created the scenario we now have with varying guidelines in place. I often quote, and will do so again, I'm the first to say that all the guidelines put in place I don't neceassirly agree with but to place the blame on the UK Government peddling propaganda is somewhat mis-placed as similar procedures have been introduced by other Governments around the world....right or wrong.

I think the govt have reached a point of no return now. If they admit they're wrong, labour will walk the next election. Their political careers matter a lot more to them than Joe Public. If you think anything other than that, you're deluded.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You have a point.

But if a measure is too subjective, too complicated or too unpopular for everyone to follow it has an inherent degree of failure.

A targeted quarantine on the other hand does not depend on the whole of society complying in the same way.

Personally I feel that has been the underlying problem in that the guidelines have often been contradictory, confusing and not easy to decipher hence the apparent apathy shown by some.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Kedavra said:

I think the govt have reached a point of no return now. If they admit they're wrong, labour will walk the next election. Their political careers matter a lot more to them than Joe Public. If you think anything other than that, you're deluded.

Eventually the hole their digging will have everyone fall in.

2 minutes ago, Kedavra said:

Boris Johnson and his advisors have done much to undermine public confidence with the constant muddled messaging...the damage has already been done as regards political agendas but we are where we are for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Boris Johnson and his advisors have done much to undermine public confidence with the constant muddled messaging...the damage has already been done as regards political agendas but we are where we are for better or worse.

TBF, a think from the beginning that they have always said it was about a balance of risks,,, maybe their walking on thin ice whilst looking for a needle in a haystack?

• Like 1