British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

After several recent sensationalist news stories, including Fergus Walsh’s, here’s the BBC trying to set the record straight:

“Are different age groups being affected now? 

There are more people of all ages in hospital with Covid now than in the first wave last spring - that includes the young and old.

Infections have been highest in teenagers, students and people in their 20s and 30s in recent months. A small percentage of people from these age groups inevitably end up in hospital needing treatment.

But the overall pattern of those at risk of becoming seriously ill or dying has not changed significantly.

The older someone is, the greater their risk from Covid-19 - particularly over the age of 65.

For people under 40 who are infected, their risk of death is 0.1%. This rises to more than 5% for people over 80, according to Imperial College London research on the first wave.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-5558699

Although quite why they needed to mention research by Imperial College rather than the bare statistics from the ONS I don’t know!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kedavra said:

I think the govt have reached a point of no return now. If they admit they're wrong, labour will walk the next election. Their political careers matter a lot more to them than Joe Public. If you think anything other than that, you're deluded.

We're four years away from an election, and as we've found so many times in the past people readily forget  and forgive what politicians have said and done in their past. 

36 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You have a point.

But if a measure is too subjective, too complicated or too unpopular for everyone to follow it has an inherent degree of failure.

A targeted quarantine on the other hand does not depend on the whole of society complying in the same way.

As others have said it is only a Lockdown by name. Some (many) shops and businesses are open and running as normal, yet others are ordered to close. There is no consistency therefore a high number of people say ‘sod it’ and carry on as normal. I live near a small park, most days it is full of kids playing and parents all chatting together. Which is why we will never truly know if a complete Lockdown (quarantine) would make a big difference or not. Anyway, I’m off to B&Q - it’s ‘essential’ I get a new kitchen tap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrs said:

We're four years away from an election, and as we've found so many times in the past people readily forget  and forgive what politicians have said and done in their past. 

...beat me to it! Four years is a long time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

As others have said it is only a Lockdown by name. Some (many) shops and businesses are open and running as normal, yet others are ordered to close. There is no consistency therefore a high number of people say ‘sod it’ and carry on as normal. I live near a small park, most days it is full of kids playing and parents all chatting together. Which is why we will never truly know if a complete Lockdown (quarantine) would make a big difference or not. Anyway, I’m off to B&Q - it’s ‘essential’ I get a new kitchen tap. 

Further examples of the contradictory and/or interpretation of guidelines in place. No wonder people are confused.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Further examples of the contradictory and/or interpretation of guidelines in place. No wonder people are confused.

Maybe it has something to do with diversity Steve, the more rules you have, the easier it is to get confused, no, yes?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Maybe it has something to do with diversity Steve, the more rules you have, the easier it is to get confused, no, yes?

You could be quoting the speedway rule book there my friend! Many a Team Manager would bend/interpret the rules to their advantage...Ian Thomas being a classic example! ;)

Edited by steve roberts
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

For me, its more to do with human nature. You put a rule in place, the first reaction is "how can I get round it".

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, topsoil said:

For me, its more to do with human nature. You put a rule in place, the first reaction is "how can I get round it".

Do you think that's ever gonna change?

13 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Not for sensible rules.

Very few try to get around ones that involve or risk harm to people murder, rape, paedophilia, abduction, mugging, drinking and driving, driving on the wrong side of the road and red traffic lights.

A few more might where it involves money: stealing, fraud and tax evasion.

But it’s a different matter altogether when rules try to stop the population from doing things that it has always quite freely done and been encouraged to do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Not for sensible rules.

Very few try to get around ones that involve or risk harm to people murder, rape, paedophilia, abduction, mugging, drinking and driving, driving on the wrong side of the road and red traffic lights.

A few more might where it involves money: stealing, fraud and tax evasion.

But it’s a different matter altogether when rules try to stop the population from doing things that it has always quite freely done and been encouraged to do.

Trouble is you'll always get those who see rules as not being subject to their own behaviour whatever the background or responsibility. Every single day I take to the road I experience other drivers taking liberties whether it being lack of lane discipline, lack of indication, using mobile phones, speeding, driving without lights etc etc but I take your last paragraph and the point you are making.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Maybe folk have been doing too many things quite freely for too long and it needs to be wound back in?,,, it's like unrolling too much toilet paper from the roll, then trying to roll it back on. It'll never go back the same, but will be a new normal!  ;)

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Maybe folk have been doing too many things quite freely for too long and it needs to be wound back in?,,, it's like unrolling too much toilet paper from the roll, then trying to roll it back on. It'll never go back the same, but will be a new normal!  ;)

At a previous tourist attraction I worked at I caught a young teenager climbing into what was a obviously an exhibit that was somewhat in a delicate condition. When I questioned him his mother strolled forward and said to him, not me, "Not your fault as there wasn't a 'Keep Out' sign in place"...to which I replied "Would you rather walk round an exhibition with signs all over the place rather than using some common sense?" She totally ignored me hence why I generally dislike people but that's another story...

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, jrs said:

I am aware that sometimes people described as being fit and healthy do occasionally expire during sports events,  but apparently i must keep my eyes open when i pass my local sports fields to see if there are any uncollected bodies of the thousands of fit people lying around. Is this just a local problem in Suffolk ?

:D

Why you would think thousands of Sudden Cardiac Deaths in young people is funny is beyond me. Maybe you should have a word with Fabrice Muamba and tell him how hilarious it is...:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

TBF, a think from the beginning that they have always said it was about a balance of risks,,, maybe their walking on thin ice whilst looking for a needle in a haystack?

Oh if only they would balance the risks. This nonsense would have stopped long ago. The calaterall damage is and will be phenomenal.

• Like 5