British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

8 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Maybe, just maybe there is more to the stories about the 2 coffee drinking women and the one on the bench than meets the eye.

A possible scenario is they were approached by plod, told they were breaching regulations and they responded with abusive remarks and it escalated from there. Not saying plod was right but they are mixing with all sorts of folk and would not be human if they didn’t get uptight.

None of us know the full story. Confusion reigns unless or until “local” is clarified so everyone can understand

You could well be right...problem is the media just picks up on a story and we're left to try and decipher the content hence the continual confusion.

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, Blupanther said:

Brilliant....a golf bag that looks like a Labrador, i'm on it. :D

If it helps, I’ve got one that looks like a lady. :D

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Why are people talking about counties?  

We are in a national lockdown, not tiers.

5 miles is 5 miles, whether it is in your county or another, and it most certainly is local.

Alternatively, the government should have phrased the law “you cannot drive to another location to exercise”.

That would make it much clearer.

Just now, DC2 said:

Won't you be needing that in lockdown...;)

5 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Maybe, just maybe there is more to the stories about the 2 coffee drinking women and the one on the bench than meets the eye.

A possible scenario is they were approached by plod, told they were breaching regulations and they responded with abusive remarks  ...

In which case they should have been arrested for a different offence.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Blimey it's like listening to Bob & Paul on an episode of "Gone Fishing" :D

• Haha 1

Just now, Blupanther said:

Won't you be needing that in lockdown...;)

Derrrr .... where else am I going to store my putter.  :D

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Excuse me but when I walk I certainly don't wear trainers, sweatbands etc. Walking with someone constitutes a social meeting certainly in my way of understanding things. The two are entwined surely requiring a good deal of common sense?

I agree, it requires common sense. These women chose to drive to a location, meet with a person not in their household, bring a Starbucks and take photos of themselves and therefore left themselves open to being mistaken for socially meeting, rather than exercising.

As I said, the simple way to protect yourself is not to take the p**s and push the guidelines to their absolute limit. These women did that and got caught.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Why are people talking about counties?  

We are in a national lockdown, not tiers.

5 miles is 5 miles, whether it is in your county or another, and it most certainly is local.

Alternatively, the government should have phrased the law “you cannot drive to another location to exercise”.

Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't that how it works? We were divided into areas within the tier system in order to contain any outbreak of the virus within that area.

I can't leave BCP other than for specific reasons as that is my area as I understand it.

Perhaps there needs to be more clarity as to what is considered local in the guidelines you linked to? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DC2 said:

And out of the

Here’s what your government link says:

“Meeting other people

It is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are part of your household or support bubble. You cannot leave home for recreational or leisure purposes (such as for a picnic or a social meeting).

Exercising

You should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home to exercise. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

You can exercise in a public outdoor place:

by yourself

with the people you live with

with your support bubble (if you are legally permitted to form one)

in a childcare bubble where providing childcare

or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household

This includes but is not limited to running, cycling, walking, and swimming. Personal training can continue one-on-one unless everyone is within the same household or support bubble.”

CAN YOU POINT ME TO THE BIT THAT SAYS YOU CANNOT EAT OR DRINK WHILST WALKING AND YOU ARE RESTRICTED IN WHAT YOU MUST WEAR?

As I said, I cannot recall ever consuming a coffee while exercising. On the other hand, I routinely consume beverages while in a social situation.

These women either deliberately or unwittingly pushed the guidelines to their absolute limit and unfortunately for them, paid the price.

1 minute ago, MattK said:

I agree, it requires common sense. These women chose to drive to a location, meet with a person not in their household, bring a Starbucks and take photos of themselves and therefore left themselves open to being mistaken for socially meeting, rather than exercising.

As I said, the simple way to protect yourself is not to take the p**s and push the guidelines to their absolute limit. These women did that and got caught.

I'm sure MattK that there is more to the story than first reported...as I've said previously the media picks up on stories (many from the dreaded social media) without the full details being made known and people are left to draw their own conclusions. Responsible journalism should thoroughly investigate any given story but unfortunately that doesn't suit many people's expectations nowadays who instead prefer their news delivered in a way so as to draw a dramatic response...hence like this story is so proving.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattK said:

As I said, I cannot recall ever consuming a coffee while exercising. On the other hand, I routinely consume beverages while in a social situation.

That’s because your definition of “exercise” doesn’t include a leisurely walk with a coffee.

Just as mine of a social meeting does not include talking endless rubbish.  :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Now that I'm allowed to go fishing what is the acceptable distance I am able to travel based on Government guidelines? There's a fishery ten miles away...is that deemed as local? I think it is but would the police? Would I be potentially fined and would Patel endorse that? Common sense at the end of the day but the interpretation of that is always open to question and contradiction.

You can go fishing from the comfort of your armchair - it is popular amongst contributors on here ;)

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't that how it works? We were divided into areas within the tier system in order to contain any outbreak of the virus within that area.

I can't leave BCP other than for specific reasons as that is my area as I understand it.

Perhaps there needs to be more clarity as to what is considered local in the guidelines you linked to? 

No, that’s not how it works.

There is nothing in the law to say you must stay in your county.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

That’s because your definition of “exercise” doesn’t include a leisurely walk with a coffee.

Just as mine of a social meeting does not include talking endless rubbish.  :D

Agreed...it's all about "definition of exercise'. :t: