British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

15 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Its not determined by sunlight hours, its about the lower amounts of UVB radiation penetrating the atmosphere in the winter months...

Yes and Southern Europe and Brazil get more than Northern Europe or not ? Brazil being near the equator, would it change as much as Northern Europe ?

Edited by iris123

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes and Southern Europe and Brazil get more than Northern Europe or not ? Brazil being near the equator, would it change as much as Northern Europe ?

It may well not be as simple as comparing an equatorial country with a northernmost one.

The northernmost ones have a big seasonal divergence in sun hours while the equatorial ones have more constant sun.

It would be interesting to see if Covid has marked seasons in the equatorial countries in the way that it does in Northern Europe.

Have you found Manaus’ monthly deaths yet?

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Brazil would receive more, but of course you have to go out in the sun to get the benefits. The one time i went to Brazil, it was very much a night time society, plus they do have widespread poverty which wouldn't help...

Deaths per million, five highest countries in South America...

Peru 1,234  Argentina 1,056  Columbia 1,054  Brazil 1,052 Chile 960

Edited by Blupanther

18 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Brazil would receive more, but of course you have to go out in the sun to get the benefits. The one time i went to Brazil, it was very much a night time society, plus they do have widespread poverty which wouldn't help...

Deaths per million, five highest countries in South America...

Peru 1,234  Argentina 1,056  Columbia 1,054  Brazil 1,052 Chile 960

And while we can ignore Australia because of the low numbers, South Africa is having its peak in the middle of their summer

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I don't have a "Track & Trace" facilty on my phone so always gave my details which they then noted...not sure how they would be able to activate it if they needed to contact me or how it's registered and by whom?

Yeah when I was contacted by the team it was the person who had the virus who gave them my details so that was how they got hold of me. Complete waste of time though as all they asked was how you felt and if you had a temperature and that was about it and then just contradict information. I did question them a couple of times but they could not give an answer as guess they just read of a sheet and cover what is on there

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And while we can ignore Australia because of the low numbers, South Africa is having its peak in the middle of their summer

In an effort to prove your case your sands seem to have shifted away from Sweden, Brazil, Portugal and Spain to South Africa now.

South Africa (pop 60 million) is indeed a strange one.

After peaking in August (Winter) with 250 deaths a day it has now peaked again in December/January (500 deaths a day), which looks like the expected seasonality of the virus and the impact of the sun/warmer weather have been overturned, but are the figures accurate/properly measured and is there an overriding factor such as extremely unhygienic conditions and poor access to treatment in overcrowded slums or is there a truly weird South African mutant strain?

Edited by DC2

24 minutes ago, iris123 said:

South African deaths are well past the peak, and of course another country with terrible poverty...

1 minute ago, Blupanther said:

South African deaths are well past the peak, and of course another country with terrible poverty...

But the rise and fall was not in winter, was it ?

In fact one of the things that got me thinking was a graph on the Guardian yesterday or the day before showing the current hotspots, and it didn't seem to have anything to do with Latitude... 

And the darker your skin the less vitamin D you absorb has to be another factor I'd have thought.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vince said:

And the darker your skin the less vitamin D you absorb has to be another factor I'd have thought.

Would be an interesting comparison as in most countries apart from eastern Europe there is a good mix, Brazil of course a good example. South Africa possibly not so. Not sure what % is white there now. Are you thinking South Africa is being effected more because they are darker than the rest of Africa ?

Edited by iris123

20 hours ago, Badge said:

Our beacon of light in this pandemic,  please get well soon Captain Tom

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-captain-sir-tom-moore-in-hospital-with-coronavirus-12204729

Obviously wish him well

Hadn't realised however that he went off on holiday to Barbados in December. Celtic, Piers Morgan etc rightly got criticised at the time so what's the difference here?

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Would be an interesting comparison as in most countries apart from eastern Europe there is a good mix, Brazil of course a good example. South Africa possibly not so. Not sure what % is white there now. Are you thinking South Africa is being effected more because they are darker than the rest of Africa ?

Do you acknowledge that your theory is not proven by Manaus which had far fewer deaths in its sunnier months and far more now that the sunny weather is receding?

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Do you acknowledge that your theory is not proven by Manaus which had far fewer deaths in its sunnier months and far more now that the sunny weather is receding?

No. Because even their less sunny months are still quite high, and being near the equator the uvb won't change much during the year like it does at the ends of the latitudes. So it very much back my theory.

5 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Obviously wish him well

Hadn't realised however that he went off on holiday to Barbados in December. Celtic, Piers Morgan etc rightly got criticised at the time so what's the difference here?

Oh funny as I only saw yesterday that Barbados are doing a house to house test for Covid and dengue fever during a 15 day shutdown.