British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

6 minutes ago, jrs said:

Going by my trusted sources  and personal evidence, I would say that masks have  contributed to a reduction in the normal winter bugs and infections.

Not one person in my wider family or friends and neighbours has had any coughs, colds, sore throats etc that we normally associate with winter, that the average person succumbs to at sometime in the winter.

The only conclusions I could draw from that was that it was likely that with less social interaction plus the wearing of masks in public places those infections had been kept to a minimum.

Would tend to agree with most of that, maybe it's down to hand washing and hygiene, also less interaction with others. 

16 minutes ago, MattK said:

Just checking it wasn't Blupanther or his alter ego Crumpet82.

No, although I may agree with much they say, I can make my own assumptions. :t:

10 hours ago, dave69 said:

Jaguar and Land Rover to go all electric by 2025.That really is a bit crap.

It’s ok, there will be a vaccination for that awful eventuality by 2025!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jrs said:

Going by my trusted sources  and personal evidence, I would say that masks have  contributed to a reduction in the normal winter bugs and infections.

Not one person in my wider family or friends and neighbours has had any coughs, colds, sore throats etc that we normally associate with winter, that the average person normally succumbs to at sometime in the winter.

The only conclusions I could draw from that was that it was likely that with less social interaction plus the wearing of masks in public places those infections had been kept to a minimum.

The same people that say flu has disappeared because of masks, also say 'covid cases' are because people haven't been wearing masks. As many have said, its almost as if colds and flu have been rebranded and given a fancy name...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

The same people that say flu has disappeared because of masks, also say 'covid cases' are because people haven't been wearing masks. As many have said, its almost as if colds and flu have been rebranded and given a fancy name...

A think they need to make their minds up!

• Like 1

I agree with what is being said about winter colds and so on. I haven't had one this year at all. Normally I get two or three. The weirdest thing is I have a 2 year old daughter who has barely had a sniffle in her whole life so far.

I'm actually not convinced that this is a good thing though, as it should be a normal part of building up her immunity. My other kids were sniffing, sneezing and getting runny noses all the time at her age!

I'm not sure that masks are the reason for this as she doesn't even wear one! It must be down to social distancing and a lack of social interaction with other kids. Personally, I'd rather she was able to go to her local nursery school, play with kids more often, and catch a cold.

I find the whole mask thing a bit odd as we were constantly told when this began that wearing masks won't help and can, if anything, make it worse. Then, suddenly, they are becoming compulsory in shops and public places.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Which people are they?

Here’s a Sweden comparison that concludes that lockdowns aren’t worth the marginal benefit:

Background and Aims

The most restrictive nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) for controlling the spread of COVID‐19 are mandatory stay‐at‐home and business closures. Given the consequences of these policies, it is important to assess their effects. We evaluate the effects on epidemic case growth of more restrictive NPIs (mrNPIs), above and beyond those of less‐restrictive NPIs (lrNPIs).

Methods

We first estimate COVID‐19 case growth in relation to any NPI implementation in subnational regions of 10 countries: England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, South Korea, Sweden and the United States. Using first‐difference models with fixed effects, we isolate the effects of mrNPIs by subtracting the combined effects of lrNPIs and epidemic dynamics from all NPIs. We use case growth in Sweden and South Korea, 2 countries that did not implement mandatory stay‐at‐home and business closures, as comparison countries for the other 8 countries (16 total comparisons).

Results

Implementing any NPIs was associated with significant reductions in case growth in 9 out of 10 study countries, including South Korea and Sweden that implemented only lrNPIs (Spain had a nonsignificant effect). After subtracting the epidemic and lrNPI effects, we find no clear, significant beneficial effect of mrNPIs on case growth in any country. In France, for example, the effect of mrNPIs was +7% (95% CI: −5%‐19%) when compared with Sweden and + 13% (−12%‐38%) when compared with South Korea (positive means pro‐contagion). The 95% confidence intervals excluded 30% declines in all 16 comparisons and 15% declines in 11/16 comparisons.

Conclusions

While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less‐restrictive interventions.

Assessing mandatory stay‐at‐home and business closure effects on the spread of COVID‐19

Eran Bendavid Christopher Oh Jay Bhattacharya John P. A. Ioannidis First published: 05 January 2021 https://doi.org/10.1111/eci.13484

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cyclone said:

Depends  whether you trust those who have empirical experience of this field or go by the likes of yourself who suddenly believes he knows better having read some unsubstantiated material from unreliable sources on the internet.

Could you quote a single post of mine that is based on “some unsubstantiated material from unreliable sources on the internet”?

No.  Didn’t think you could!

Unless, of course, you mean government and ONS figures and studies from universities? 

But that pretty much ruins your point.

55 minutes ago, jrs said:

Not one person in my wider family or friends and neighbours has had any coughs, colds, sore throats etc that we normally associate with winter, that the average person normally succumbs to at sometime in the winter.

Well that sounds like nonsense.  Everyone in our family has had a cold on and off for the last two months.

36 minutes ago, dj350z said:

It’s ok, there will be a vaccination for that awful eventuality by 2025!!

Fuel injection?  :D

20 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Well that sounds like nonsense.  Everyone in our family has had a cold on and off for the last two months.

We haven't, not even during the 'festive season' and I can't remember the last time I was cold-free for Christmas/New Year.

Edited by Vincent Blachshadow
  • Like 1

Eyes wide open. What price climate lockdowns coming down the tracks...

• Thanks 1