British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

Over here, fishing is actually recommended as an activity. As long as you maintain the social distancing, it's perfectly okay.

One thing does surprise me, though. They are keeping parks open as they are good places for people to exercise, or just to go outdoors and stay isolated. However, cemeteries are closed. If I want a quiet walk (I'm not into exercising - I get all the exercise I need walking to and from the buffet), and keep away from people, cemeteries are the perfect place to go.

Yes I would be totally isolated from fellow anglers at my usual lake as the 'pegs' are placed well apart and no interaction with other people required...that's one of the main reasons why people fish! I can understand not fishing on tow paths (although it's off season here at the moment) but fishing at designated lakes?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I would be totally isolated from fellow anglers at my usual lake as the 'pegs' are placed well apart and no interaction with other people required...that's one of the main reasons why people fish! I can understand not fishing on tow paths (although it's off season here at the moment) but fishing at designated lakes?

In the same boat here regarding fishing, normally by this time of year I would be fishing on the Tweed. Hopefully I will still get to wet a line later in the year.

27 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Parks plural.  Brockwell was barely mentioned until the closure was announced.

Plenty were kicking off about Battersea and hackney marshes already to name just two

Good, so they were more spread out.

The more places are closed, the less places people have to go and the more congested everywhere will become.

And yes, of course they were kicking off, it's the latest agenda on social media.

What next after it gets all outdoor exercise banned?

Edited by BWitcher

5 minutes ago, screm said:

In the same boat here regarding fishing, normally by this time of year I would be fishing on the Tweed. Hopefully I will still get to wet a line later in the year.

I'm envious!

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Refer to my earlier post about the indoctrinated.

I don't consider myself one of the indoctrinated. There are facts & figures quoted everywhere online to back up both sides of any argument but I've no way of substantiating them so it's a case of what you choose to believe. 

I also have a deep dislike of social media with my only involvement being this forum and some specific interest groups on Facebook so I can't comment on the bullrubbish that goes on there.

My stance is that once this lockdown happened I would have preferred people to adhere to the advice strictly for 2 weeks and assess it's success or failure then.

While people are ignoring the advice the excuse is there to prolong the agony and the economic destruction and that is a concern for me.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I don't consider myself one of the indoctrinated. There are facts & figures quoted everywhere online to back up both sides of any argument but I've no way of substantiating them so it's a case of what you choose to believe. 

I also have a deep dislike of social media with my only involvement being this forum and some specific interest groups on Facebook so I can't comment on the bullrubbish that goes on there.

My stance is that once this lockdown happened I would have preferred people to adhere to the advice strictly for 2 weeks and assess it's success or failure then.

While people are ignoring the advice the excuse is there to prolong the agony and the economic destruction and that is a concern for me.

Agree with much of that.

3 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

It's not a lockdown when millions are travelling to work every day, the tube and buses are crammed.

It's a lockdown to appease social media..

and increase cases/deaths (side effects).

Edited by BWitcher

15 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

It's not a lockdown when millions are travelling to work every day, the tube and buses are crammed.

and increase cases/deaths (side effects).

Buses are running into York empty as is the local train however I acknowledge that in London there have been reported issues to the contrary.

Edited by steve roberts

Apparently the Senior Medical Officer is not the only one having difficulty in Scotland’s all female Coronavirus presentations. Alex Salmond is also struggling to grasp their figures.  :)

• Haha 1

Just now, BWitcher said:

and increase death rates.

Your first sentence I totally agree with. I said all along that it hadn't been thought out properly before implementation.

I’m just wondering how Prof Ferguson calculates his figures.

Yesterday we were on 4,331 deaths and had a daily high of 706, suggesting that we were still on the way up and hadn’t plateaued.

Indeed Prof Ferguson said he doesn’t expect the peak/plateau to arrive for seven to ten days.

Now to me that sounds like a conservative daily deaths figure for the next week would be 700, being 4,900 in the next seven days, making 9,231 in total.

And yet this morning Prof Ferguson said we could have as few as 7,000 deaths.

Is he looking at our daily figures? His “model” seems a bit Heath Robinson.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I’m just wondering how Prof Ferguson calculates his figures.

Yesterday we were on 4,331 deaths and had a daily high of 706, suggesting that we were still on the way up and hadn’t plateaued.

Indeed Prof Ferguson said he doesn’t expect the peak/plateau to arrive for seven to ten days.

Now to me that sounds like a conservative daily deaths figure for the next week would be 700, being 4,900 in the next seven days, making 9,231 in total.

And yet this morning Prof Ferguson said we could have as few as 7,000 deaths.

Is he looking at our daily figures? His “model” seems a bit Heath Robinson.

Most models have the same success rate as Scotland winning the World Cup...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blupanther said:

Most models have the same success rate as Scotland winning the World Cup...

Cruel comparison!

20 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Your first sentence I totally agree with. I said all along that it hadn't been thought out properly before implementation.

As I've suggested previously I'm sure that there will be a post mortem carried after the crisis is over and many questions will be asked as how best did the Government and it's advisors act as regards implementing measures and how successful they were in restricting the spread of the virus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Cruel comparison!

I'm allowed, i'm Scottish :D

• Like 1