Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

Recommended Posts

He's got a point 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, crazysue said:

Or just do the written log in rather than the app log in. The written log in goes nowhere (unless there is a positive result from somewhere else and they are honest/actually remember all the places they have been) and gets destroyed after 21 days.

I don't have the app, I just do the written log in. If anyone asks or insists (a written log option has to be provided), I don't have a phone that has the capability (I do but they don't need to know that)

I don't own an app either...just give them my details which, of course, they have to take as being accurate! I have to take details from people at my place of work not obviously knowing if they are being truthful or not? Personally I find the whole 'track & trace' system somewhat open to abuse and one has to question the accuracy?

Edited by steve roberts

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, crazysue said:

I don't have the app, I just do the written log in. If anyone asks or insists (a written log option has to be provided), I don't have a phone that has the capability (I do but they don't need to know that)

Well that's just cheating!!! ;)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, steve roberts said:

I don't own an app either...just give them my details which, of course, they have to take as being accurate! Personally I find the whole 'track & trace' system somewhat open to abuse and one has to question the accuracy?

I had a funny one last week, I did my usual and said I have to do track and trace and can I have their details and they told me they were giving me a fake name! By all means, write or give a different name but don't tell me in advance that is what you are going to do.

Silly man, I'd have not been the wiser had he not told me.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well that's just cheating!!! ;)

But still complying....:D

I'm not a lover of apps to be honest, any app, so tend not to have many of them on my phone. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The thing with holidays is, we have seen more and more protests over the past decade against tourism from some of the locals who live in hot spots. Barcelona for instance. How do we go along with this ? Do we still insist on holidays abroad when it means going against the wishes of people who live in the area. For me, I had mostly stopped flying off to destinations anyway

I think in a free world, people should generally be free to visit where they wish within reason. I don't think we want to be returning to the Soviet era where people were not allowed to leave their own country or restricted to a very small number of foreign destinations that were considered ideologically acceptable. Neither should the ability to see the wonders of the world be dictated by those who happen to live there through an accident of history and birth - they are mere custodians for a short time in the context of human far less geological history. 

You also have the issue that often it's the loudest 'locals' (who often aren't true locals) that complain about such things and are by no means representative of everyone, whilst others simply don't grasp the economic realities that their areas have little else to generate money other than tourism. After several generations, it's easy to forget that many places in (for example) Greece, Spain and up in the Alps were impoverished and declining communities before tourism arrived, and turkeys do now have a tendency to vote for Christmas.

That's not to say that a lot of tourism is damaging, corrupting and in some cases probably not particularly beneficial to the local economies. I much prefer taking holidays locally these days - not least because I can't be bothered with hassle of airports - and there are frankly lots of interesting places to visit in the UK and Ireland. And more recently had a couple of holidays just using trains. 

But I've been fortunate to have already seen a lot of world, which is not something that I wish to deny others. And especially not because the government's mates have a vested interest in continuing the COVID testing racket. :angry:

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think in a free world, people should generally be free to visit where they wish within reason. I don't think we want to be returning to the Soviet era where people were not allowed to leave their own country or restricted to a very small number of foreign destinations that were considered ideologically acceptable. Neither should the ability to see the wonders of the world be dictated by those who happen to live there through an accident of history and birth - they are mere custodians for a short time in the context of human far less geological history. 

You also have the issue that often it's the loudest 'locals' (who often aren't true locals) that complain about such things and are by no means representative of everyone, whilst others simply don't grasp the economic realities that their areas have little else to generate money other than tourism. After several generations, it's easy to forget that many places in (for example) Greece, Spain and up in the Alps were impoverished and declining communities before tourism arrived, and turkeys do now have a tendency to vote for Christmas.

That's not to say that a lot of tourism is damaging, corrupting and in some cases probably not particularly beneficial to the local economies. I much prefer taking holidays locally these days - not least because I can't be bothered with hassle of airports - and there are frankly lots of interesting places to visit in the UK and Ireland. And more recently had a couple of holidays just using trains. 

But I've been fortunate to have already seen a lot of world, which is not something that I wish to deny others. And especially not because the government's mates have a vested interest in continuing the COVID testing racket. :angry:

Tourism plays a major part to the local economy of York so we're told (although I don't see it reflected in my salary) but when you speak to many locals they've given up going into the city centre as it's now become one almighty watering hole for outsiders and has become uncomfortably busy and dirty. I certainly avoid it outside of work.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Tourism plays a major part to the local economy of York so we're told (although I don't see it reflected in my salary) but when you speak to many locals they've given up going into the city centre as it's now become one almighty watering hole for outsiders and has become uncomfortably busy and dirty. I certainly avoid it outside of work.

Another one who wants his cake and eat it!!! Phhh ;)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think in a free world, people should generally be free to visit where they wish within reason. I don't think we want to be returning to the Soviet era where people were not allowed to leave their own country or restricted to a very small number of foreign destinations that were considered ideologically acceptable. Neither should the ability to see the wonders of the world be dictated by those who happen to live there through an accident of history and birth - they are mere custodians for a short time in the context of human far less geological history. 

You also have the issue that often it's the loudest 'locals' (who often aren't true locals) that complain about such things and are by no means representative of everyone, whilst others simply don't grasp the economic realities that their areas have little else to generate money other than tourism. After several generations, it's easy to forget that many places in (for example) Greece, Spain and up in the Alps were impoverished and declining communities before tourism arrived, and turkeys do now have a tendency to vote for Christmas.

That's not to say that a lot of tourism is damaging, corrupting and in some cases probably not particularly beneficial to the local economies. I much prefer taking holidays locally these days - not least because I can't be bothered with hassle of airports - and there are frankly lots of interesting places to visit in the UK and Ireland. And more recently had a couple of holidays just using trains. 

But I've been fortunate to have already seen a lot of world, which is not something that I wish to deny others. And especially not because the government's mates have a vested interest in continuing the COVID testing racket. :angry:

I am not disagreeing. I am just stating what is actually happening more and more.

Venice is another, especially with the cruise ships coming in, swamping the place and then going off elsewhere. In Jamaica as an example very little of the tourist money goes to the locals. Very little is seen of the locals and they hardly get the chance to mix with the tourists

But you see it more and more in a lot of sections of society. You could say why live in Venice or Barcelona if you don't want the mass invasion. Just like those who choose to live on the edge of cities and don't like the wildlife coming in a messing up their gardens. Or at the moment we have those who live in the Hamburg hot spots complaining that mass crowds are out again partying along the river and in the main parks etc.....

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Tourism plays a major part to the local economy of York so we're told (although I don't see it reflected in my salary) but when you speak to many locals they've given up going into the city centre as it's now become one almighty watering hole for outsiders and has become uncomfortably busy and dirty. I certainly avoid it outside of work.

I think it would be fair to say though, that your job simply wouldn't exist without tourism and the Jorvik Centre presumably forks over a fair amount in rates to the local council. And even if tourists filling the city centre might not be to the taste of some, the alternative might well be a run down inner city (as has happened in other places) that's equally unattractive to the locals. 

Think some of the other major industries in York were confectionary factories and call centres which I doubt also pay well, and they've largely gone now anyway. Not sure if there's still any railway engineering and maintenance there, but that can't be anything like it was either...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Venice is another, especially with the cruise ships coming in, swamping the place and then going off elsewhere. In Jamaica as an example very little of the tourist money goes to the locals. Very little is seen of the locals and they hardly get the chance to mix with the tourists

I think in the end though, places become a victim of their own success. I wouldn't go near Venice these days because of the crowds and rip off prices, or if I did, I'd go out of season.

Tourism in the Caribbean is a bit of another matter, although it does vary from island to island. In some places like the BVI, Anguilla and St. Barts it's been kept manageable and looks to have benefitted the wider populace, whereas in other places - particularly those that are almost entirely reliant on cruise ships - it's maybe more questionable. 

Personally though, I find the Caribbean to be overrated - it's totally overpriced with indifferent to poor service levels, not entirely safe, and IMO there's far better scenery, beaches and historical stuff in Europe. It's not a place I'd probably choose to spend my own money to go on holiday anymore, other than the couple of British territories I've yet to visit which COVID got in the way of last year...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Share this post


Link to post

Venice is fantastic.

I wouldn’t go in the Summer and I wouldn’t eat in the Piazza San Marco.

Other than that I’d urge everyone to go for at least a week.  Fabulous architecture and great, reasonably priced cichetti bars.

Share this post


Link to post

“The decision on whether England can end all Covid restrictions on 21 June will depend on whether the link between infections and hospital admissions has been severed, Dominic Raab has said.”  BBC

So, it’s crystal clear that 21 June will go ahead as planned!   :rolleyes:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

E3uqgqzVoAA23xe?format=jpg&name=large

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy