British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

So, all the worry about the EU, a trade deal, who wins the US Presidential election and Nigel Farage's day out to the posh hotels and seaside to harass refugees are all for nowt ?  You gotta larf ain't ya 

We'll see who's larfing last. You're 4-0 down at the moment;)

11 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Who is up for a good old reset ? 

I must admit, the first thought that went through my head after watching this video, was that the only people missing from the meeting in the mountain hideaway was Dr Evil and Mini Me

• Haha 1

The winner takes it all ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blupanther said:

You just have to accept that alarmists and fear mongers are mentally challenged, there is no reasoning with ignorance. Best ignored Dean...

Do tell....what would you consider your anti-vax, pseudo science, twitter dredgings, then? Alarmist, fear mongering? Ring any bells?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

Read the very last paragraph of this news article...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-india-sets-new-record-for-highest-daily-covid-19-infections-12059643

I guess that pretty well blows your argument, opinion or whatever else you choose to call it out the water Twitcher!

Let's hear your reason why this FACT is wrong...

Don't think anyone will dispute that fact but yet again you completely miss the points that Bwitcher and others have been making. It is FACT that according to the official ONS figures in the UK recorded deaths from 'flu are over seven times the rate for Covid. It is FACT that despite case numbers of Covid rising hospital admissions and deaths continue to fall.  

You seem to want to make it a competition between flu and Covid. The ONS uses 'flu in it's figures to give a comparison to Covid as both are transmitted (have you looked that word up yet?) in the same way. That's why many on here are using the flu comparison to question why all the restrictions, lockdowns and all those other things we never do during peak 'flu season are still being applied; it defies the evidence and common sense.

Instead of trying to show that Covid is worse than 'flu, try debating the points actually being made.

Anyway, if you want to use your Sky news article showing 842,000 deaths, I'll put up Spanish 'flu 1919 deaths of around 50 million. There, 'flu 'wins'.  Pointless game...

Edited by Shrub
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Speedy swindon pete said:

Do tell....what would you consider your anti-vax, pseudo science, twitter dredgings, then? Alarmist, fear mongering? Ring any bells?

Troll :icon_smile_clown:

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

Read the very last paragraph of this news article...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-india-sets-new-record-for-highest-daily-covid-19-infections-12059643

I guess that pretty well blows your argument, opinion or whatever else you choose to call it out the water Twitcher!

Let's hear your reason why this FACT is wrong...

Here’s the last paragraph of your article:

“Around the world, there have been more than 842,000 deaths - far above the between 290,000 to 650,000 deaths that occur annually which are linked to influenza.”

I have three answers to that:

1. Covid deaths have been over-stated by including those “with Covid” rather than those who died from Covid, rather like saying someone who died with terminal cancer or from a heart attack did so because they also had a cold;

2. the 290,000 to 650,000 annual deaths from flu is an outdated assessment from 2017, before the devastating 2017-18 outbreak:

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/14-12-2017-up-to-650-000-people-die-of-respiratory-diseases-linked-to-seasonal-flu-each-year

3. assuming the flu vaccine is at least 50% effective, the 650,000 underestimated figure above would be 1.3 million if, as with Covid (0.84 million), there were no vaccine.

2 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

Trump will soon make it 5-0 :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Here’s the last paragraph of your article:

“Around the world, there have been more than 842,000 deaths - far above the between 290,000 to 650,000 deaths that occur annually which are linked to influenza.”

I have three answers to that:

1. Covid deaths have been over-stated by including those “with Covid” rather than those who died from Covid, rather like saying someone who died with terminal cancer or from a heart attack did so because they also had a cold;

2. the 290,000 to 650,000 annual deaths from flu is an outdated assessment from 2017, before the devastating 2017-18 outbreak:

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/14-12-2017-up-to-650-000-people-die-of-respiratory-diseases-linked-to-seasonal-flu-each-year

3. assuming the flu vaccine is at least 50% effective, the 650,000 underestimated figure above would be 1.3 million if, as with Covid (0.84 million), there were no vaccine.

Didn't influenza also finish off the most vulnerable, the ones most likely to pass away that winter anyhow giving us 'from' and 'with' cases? That would make the influenza death numbers over-stated too wouldn't it? 

I only ask because I've seen a lot of the 'with' and 'from' argument where Covid deaths are concerned but can't remember seeing it mentioned with those from flu. Could make a huge difference to those figures you quote.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Crumpet77 said:

Trump will soon make it 5-0 :)

Actually I'd forgotten about Trump round 1 so it's 5, soon to be 6-0:D

10 hours ago, Blupanther said:

The winner takes it all ...

Sweden has about the same infection & death rate as us.  However, it's a massive country with few people.  I'm not surprised about the crowds or mask thing as I don't think either make any real difference.  Where they do, is when treating infected people with whatever airborn/surface virus/illness they may have e.g. doctors/hospital staff.

11 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

End game is what matters, not your silly point scoring. Don’t forget John McDonnell made a well received speech to the WEF two years back ......:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Sweden has about the same infection & death rate as us.  However, it's a massive country with few people.  I'm not surprised about the crowds or mask thing as I don't think either make any real difference.  Where they do, is when treating infected people with whatever airborn/surface virus/illness they may have e.g. doctors/hospital staff.

Exactly.Also Heard- Sweden were to start mass testing if I think students. Plus Denmark also allow  crowds of 500, such as this weekends speedway meeting

• Like 1

Daughter said from yesterday you have to wear masks all the time in Frogland

8 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

Didn't influenza also finish off the most vulnerable, the ones most likely to pass away that winter anyhow giving us 'from' and 'with' cases? That would make the influenza death numbers over-stated too wouldn't it? 

I only ask because I've seen a lot of the 'with' and 'from' argument where Covid deaths are concerned but can't remember seeing it mentioned with those from flu. Could make a huge difference to those figures you quote.

Nothing like to the same degree.  

Doctors have been familiar with flu for years and experience tells them when and how flu contributes to or causes death.

Contrast that with the Covid hysteria that hit the medical world in April when it appeared that every death was “caused” by Covid if a patient displayed any of a range of symptoms.  There simply wasn’t time to make a considered judgment and everyone took it for granted that it was Covid as we were in a pandemic.

Plus, as you know, it’s counted as a Covid death if a patient tested positive for it within twenty eight days of death regardless of whether the doctor thinks it the cause of death or a significant contributory factor.

Consequently a test positive person killed in a road accident is a Covid death but would not be a Flu death!

Edited by DC2