British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

" Line of duty " TV

Darren McGavin as "Kolchak - The Night Stalker" was another favourite.

No mention of Foyles War so far, my favourite detective series. Set in very different times, but thoroughly entertaining

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

One of my favourites was Telly Savalas as "Kojak"...sweaty downtown New York showing the seedier life.

Of course, there was also shows like 'The Streets of San Francisco', 'Starsky and Hutch' and 'Quincy'. 

I think 'Hawaii Five-O' has actually stood the test of time quite well, quite aside from also being re-made. 

15 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Series one of True Detective was excellent 

I preferred Season 3, one of the few series that uses flashbacks well, although the lead detective’s diction is only slightly better than McConaughey’s unintelligible drawl!

Carrying on the American fluffy shows, petrocelli,  cagney and Lacey,  hart to hart but the stand out one for me was hill street blues (as has been mentioned before)

We particularly liked  heartbeat, even with the constant character changes.

4 minutes ago, Badge said:

Carrying on the American fluffy shows, petrocelli,  cagney and Lacey,  hart to hart but the stand out one for me was hill street blues (as has been mentioned before)

We particularly liked  heartbeat, even with the constant character changes.

Living in York I know many of the locations that were used in "Heartbeat"...the Police Station was in Otley as was Nick Berry's Police House. Goathland obviously has a very strong connection as does Whitby. A bit like "Morse" (coming from Oxford as I do) I find it interesting watching some of the episodes picking out the locations and liberties taken.

13 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Living in York I know many of the locations that were used in "Heartbeat"...the Police Station was in Otley as was Nick Berry's Police House. Goathland obviously has a very strong connection as does Whitby. A bit like "Morse" (coming from Oxford as I do) I find it interesting watching some of the episodes picking out the locations and liberties taken.

Did they ever go in the Junction Inn in Otley with its excellent Old Peculier?

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Did they ever go in the Junction Inn in Otley with its excellent Old Peculier?

Not sure but the Black Bull Inn in Otley was often featured...the pub reportedly drunk dry by Cromwell's forces during the Civil War!

37 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Of course, there was also shows like 'The Streets of San Francisco', 'Starsky and Hutch' and 'Quincy'. 

I think 'Hawaii Five-O' has actually stood the test of time quite well, quite aside from also being re-made. 

I quite liked the 5-0 remake when it first came back but soon lost interest when it started to be more about Steve McGarret and his search for the truth about his mum and dad . 

Quincy is on every morning on ITV 4 along with Kojack who was a favourite of mine along with Cannon 

• Like 1

It shows how much attitudes have changed over the years . A lot of these  1970's & 60's shows  especially some of the American imports where  shown late night after the watershed . Nowadays they seem very tame and can seen at anytime during the day 

• Like 1

I doubt if any of the macho types on here will like it, or admit to liking it, but if you want to see two brilliant performances from young actors watch Normal People, all 12 episodes available on iPlayer.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Normal People, thought it was very promising. Liked the 2 leads.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, Terry said:

I've got all 5 series of 'The Detectives' on dvd. I love it, my favourite episode was when they were being held hostage and they talked the criminal into watching the fa cup final, while they sent out for beer and quavers!

Jasper Carrott once said of Robert Powell, "he used to be Jesus of Nazareth, now I've brought him down to my level."

You're right about OFAH, as great as it was, they do saturate Gold with it. I did enjoy 'The Thin Blue Line' in particular DI Grim and his hilarious monologues!

Just watches series 2 episode 1 about them playing pool with the blind bloke and his dog in the pub- creased up with laughing. :)

1 hour ago, salty said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of Normal People, thought it was very promising. Liked the 2 leads.

Brill. Keep going, it gets more grown up and takes in issues that a lot of people face.

19 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Just watches series 2 episode 1 about them playing pool with the blind bloke and his dog in the pub- creased up with laughing. :)

I like the way they cover the dog's eyes as the guy takes his shot.

It started as a weekly five minute sketch on 'Canned Carrott', and it proved to be so popular they decided to make a series..I'm glad they did!