British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

World Snooker prediction competition 2020

39 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

1976! Jansson surely was a top 10 rider???  admit it  this year he had excelled he was a top 32 rider even before. that.

Okay, let's do this...

Olsen, Collins, Mauger. Then Crump, Simmons, Louis, and Jessup. I would put those clearly above Tommy in early 76. That's seven.

Then there was a group of Tommy, Kennett, Lee, and the Mortons, and they were all young and improving. Maybe even throw in Boulger and Sanders. Perhaps Michanek.

Maybe Tommy WAS in the top 10, but I wouldn't say it was clear-cut.

I never said that Tommy wasn't "world-class"; I said that he was not one of the elite (the equal of Collins, Mauger, Olsen, Crump etc). At that point he wasn't. I also said that I believed he WOULD have reached that level, perhaps by the end of 1976.

Would he have qualified for The Crucible though?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, screm said:

Away from the fun and games of the last few posts, can I say I am just delighted to be second.

Yes, well done!

There was Once Upon A Time that this was the Snooker Prediction Competition thread ;)

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Yes, well done!

There was Once Upon A Time that this was the Snooker Prediction Competition thread ;)

I'd like to make a prediction; somebody will come on here later and make some fraudulent claims...

You know, I've seen some progressing on threads over the years, but this has taken it to a whole new level!

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Would he have qualified for The Crucible though?

Probably not, but Richard Green, Wayne Brown, Brian Black, and fifteen Russians may have...

Thanks for running the competition again this year, Rob. Sorry I missed a couple of rounds (and still somehow managed to beat you :P )

I caught the seniors snooker yesterday, for what it's worth. Hendry was 3-1 down against Bond, with the winner being first to 4 frames and I was thinking "here we go again", but Hendry did claw it back and win 4-3, albeit with a bit of a scrap. No century breaks either.

Interesting for me was his thoughts he later gave on Instagram where he said he'd been working with someone who seems to be helping him,  that he's really enjoying playing (and winning) again, and seemed to imply that he's not done playing after this tournament. Could a comeback be on the cards, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Jimmy did enter the qualifiers for the main event this year, and as Ronnie says, the standard in snooker isn't top notch any more - Hendry could easily still compete, in my mind.

He plays again today at 12. I have snacks. :D

Edited by June01

8 hours ago, June01 said:

Thanks for running the competition again this year, Rob. Sorry I missed a couple of rounds (and still somehow managed to beat you :P )

I caught the seniors snooker yesterday, for what it's worth. Hendry was 3-1 down against Bond, with the winner being first to 4 frames and I was thinking "here we go again", but Hendry did claw it back and win 4-3, albeit with a bit of a scrap. No century breaks either.

Interesting for me was his thoughts he later gave on Instagram where he said he'd been working with someone who seems to be helping him,  that he's really enjoying playing (and winning) again, and seemed to imply that he's not done playing after this tournament. Could a comeback be on the cards, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Jimmy did enter the qualifiers for the main event this year, and as Ronnie says, the standard in snooker isn't top notch any more - Hendry could easily still compete, in my mind.

He plays again today at 12. I have snacks. :D

Yes, it was good fun again... adds an extra dimension to watching the championship!

My contra-strategy to catch up the leaders really didn't work... although I blame Selby and McGill for not winning their semis :D  I'd have been just a point off the lead if they had ;) 

Hendry's downfall was beating himself up too much for losing. Maybe he's heard a word with his good mate Mark Williams, because Mark doesn't seem to mind that he's not the same player as 2003 - he just gets on with it.

Edited by lucifer sam

20 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Hendry's downfall was beating himself up too much for losing. Maybe he's heard a word with his good mate Mark Williams, because Mark doesn't seem to mind that he's not the same player as 2003 - he just gets on with it.

That applies in all sports. Once you can accept that you are not the player you once were (and you stop trying to live up to that) it becomes a lot easier - and less stressful.

Jimmy should be about to take to the baize if anyone's interested. Winner meets Hendry.

33 minutes ago, June01 said:

Jimmy should be about to take to the baize if anyone's interested. Winner meets Hendry.

Hope Jimmy can do it to set up the semi versus his old adversary ;) 

Starting watching on the Red Button, Jimmy White looking set for a century break and then they take it off to put on bloody Women's Golf.  BBC, you can get stuffed.

Jimmy white is better than Ronnie .. what do reckon Sid :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, orion said:

Jimmy white is better than Ronnie .. what do reckon Sid :D

He thinks he's a fraud...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1