Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

World Snooker prediction competition 2020

Recommended Posts

In speedway, we have endless discussions on the greatest rider never to win the World Speedway Championship. The discussion on the greatest snooker player never to win the World Snooker Championship probably would be quite a bit shorter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, norbold said:

In speedway, we have endless discussions on the greatest rider never to win the World Speedway Championship. The discussion on the greatest snooker player never to win the World Snooker Championship probably would be quite a bit shorter!

Tony Meo???

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, chunky said:

Tony Meo???

Correct. :D

Following on from that though and as an "on the other hand" thought, in speedway we all "know" that the worst rider ever to win the World Championship was Jerzy Szazckiel. So who is the worst player ever to win the World Snooker Championship? I'm thinking Graeme Dott or Joe Johnson. Other contenders?

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, norbold said:

Correct. :D

Following on from that though and as an "on the other hand" thought, in speedway we all "know" that the worst rider ever to win the World Championship was Jerzy Szazckiel. So who is the worst player ever to win the World Snooker Championship? I'm thinking Graeme Dott or Joe Johnson. Other contenders?

Hey, Tony was another local fella, and used to play at the Zans Snooker Hall in Aberconway Road, opposite to where I worked!

Realistically, you have to look at World Championship records, and ranking wins, and to be fair, Johnson came very close to retaining his title. If you look at the stats, Dennis Taylor is actually a contender for that. Maybe even Terry Griffiths? Dott reached 3 finals, more than both of those.

Edited by chunky

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, chunky said:

Hey, Tony was another local fella, and used to play at the Zans Snooker Hall in Aberconway Road, opposite to where I worked!

Realistically, you have to look at World Championship records, and ranking wins, and to be fair, Johnson came very close to retaining his title. If you look at the stats, Dennis Taylor is actually a contender for that. Maybe even Terry Griffiths? Dott reached 3 finals, more than both of those.

Fair point about Graeme Dott. 
However, Joe Johnson was only ever ranked in the Top 16 for five years; Dennis Taylor was in the Top 16 for 18 years and Terry Griffiths for 17 years. 

Edited by norbold
Predictive text - Bah!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, norbold said:

In speedway, we have endless discussions on the greatest rider never to win the World Speedway Championship. The discussion on the greatest snooker player never to win the World Snooker Championship probably would be quite a bit shorter!

Doug Mountjoy was a pretty useful player.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, norbold said:

Fair point about Graeme Dott. 
However, Joe Johnson was only ever ranked in the Top 16 for five years; Dennis Taylor was in the Top 16 for 18 years and Terry Griffiths for 17 years. 

We've had speedway riders that were in the top bracket for years, or rode in multiple world finals, without ever looking like being a world champ...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chunky said:

We've had speedway riders that were in the top bracket for years, or rode in multiple world finals, without ever looking like being a world champ...

But those three were world champions! 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, norbold said:

But those three were world champions! 

Same criteria when trying to separate them...

Was Jack Young better than Craven or Penhall because he had a longer career at the top?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, norbold said:

So who is the worst player ever to win the World Snooker Championship? I'm thinking Graeme Dott or Joe Johnson. Other contenders?

Peter Ebdon. 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, chunky said:

Same criteria when trying to separate them...

Was Jack Young better than Craven or Penhall because he had a longer career at the top?

Well, this is going off at a tangent, but that's not really the reason why some people think Young was better than Craven or Penhall. In fact, if you're talking about the very top, I think Craven had a longer career there than Youngie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, norbold said:

Well, this is going off at a tangent, but that's not really the reason why some people think Young was better than Craven or Penhall. In fact, if you're talking about the very top, I think Craven had a longer career there than Youngie. 

I get your point...

What I'm asking is this; should Joe Johnson be considered "worse" because he had a shorter career at the top, because he came into the pro ranks later than most?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, chunky said:

I get your point...

What I'm asking is this; should Joe Johnson be considered "worse" because he had a shorter career at the top, because he came into the pro ranks later than most?

What goes against Johnson is, aside from those two World Final runs when he won it and finished runner up, I believe he only ever made one other ranking final.. and one semi-final in ranking tournaments.

Taylor won the Grand Prix in the same year as he won the World Title, reached the final in four other ranking events, and semi-final six times.
 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

What goes against Johnson is, aside from those two World Final runs when he won it and finished runner up, I believe he only ever made one other ranking final.. and one semi-final in ranking tournaments.

Taylor won the Grand Prix in the same year as he won the World Title, reached the final in four other ranking events, and semi-final six times.

Right, but Taylor achieved that in a much longer career - which COULD be construed as a longer career of little success.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, chunky said:

Right, but Taylor achieved that in a much longer career - which COULD be construed as a longer career of little success.

Except, as I said, he was ranked in the world's top 16 for 18 consecutive seasons, 12 of those in the top 10.

Edited by norbold

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy