British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

World Snooker prediction competition 2020

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Right, but Taylor achieved that in a much longer career - which COULD be construed as a longer career of little success.

Was it that much longer? 

Johnson was a pro from 79-2004

Taylor from 72-2000.

Only three years longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, norbold said:

Except, as I said, he was ranked in the world's top 16 for 18 consecutive seasons, 12 of those in the top 10.

But being in the Top 10 doesn't actually mean you are genuine World Champion material...

Again, we've seen that in speedway, and in snooker, players like Graham Miles, Tony Knowles, and Neal Foulds could easily have become World Champ. Had any or all of those done so, would they have been included in this discussion?

It's just difficult when you try to find the "worst of the best"!

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Was it that much longer? 

Johnson was a pro from 79-2004

Taylor from 72-2000.

Only three years longer.

It wasn't so much the actual length of their professional careers (and to be fair, very few players in the last few years of that can be considered genuine contenders), but when they turned pro (which I actually mentioned).

Taylor was 23 when he turned pro, but Johnson was 27. Being a relative latecomer to the professional ranks can change things, that's all I'm saying...

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

But being in the Top 10 doesn't actually mean you are genuine World Champion material...

Of course it doesn't. But if we are looking at who was the best out of Taylor and Johnson, the fact that Taylor was a top 16 player for 18 years as opposed to Johnson's five in roughly similar lengthy careers, surely gives him the edge as being the better player.

Anyway, the real question is which of them is the better commentator!?

4 minutes ago, norbold said:

Of course it doesn't. But if we are looking at who was the best out of Taylor and Johnson, the fact that Taylor was a top 16 player for 18 years as opposed to Johnson's five in roughly similar lengthy careers, surely gives him the edge as being the better player.

John Pulman!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chunky said:

It wasn't so much the actual length of their professional careers (and to be fair, very few players in the last few years of that can be considered genuine contenders), but when they turned pro (which I actually mentioned).

Taylor was 23 when he turned pro, but Johnson was 27. Being a relative latecomer to the professional ranks can change things, that's all I'm saying...

Fair points.

I actually used to like Joe Johnson. I used to wind my Grandad up by picking an outsider out and endlessly say he would win that year. Players like Eddie Charlton. That year I picked Johnson :)

Anyway, he had the best shoes.

Edited by BWitcher

52 minutes ago, chunky said:

Again, we've seen that in speedway, and in snooker, players like Graham Miles, Tony Knowles, and Neal Foulds could easily have become World Champ. Had any or all of those done so, would they have been included in this discussion?

It's just difficult when you try to find the "worst of the best"!

Remember Graham Miles who had a strange cueing action plus Kirk Stevens and Bill Werbeniuk and, of course, Cliff Thorburn..."The Grinder" or some such name?

Edited by steve roberts

2 hours ago, June01 said:

Peter Ebdon. 

Stop it ;) :D It's the worst player to win it - not the player you don't like the most :P

Ebdo also reached three finals - and he might hold the record for time at the table in a final :D:D

It's probably Stuart Bingham, although he was mighty in the year he did win. Or maybe it is Joe Johnson, despite him reaching consecutive World Finals. I seriously loved Joe Johnson completely kicking the bottom of Steve Davis in the '86 World Final - that was the biggest surprise-ever.  He just potted balls from all over the place.

Edited by lucifer sam

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Jim Meadowcroft :wink: 

Edited by orion

6 hours ago, norbold said:

In speedway, we have endless discussions on the greatest rider never to win the World Speedway Championship. The discussion on the greatest snooker player never to win the World Snooker Championship probably would be quite a bit shorter!

Well, like probably around 99%, I reckon it's Mr W.

With Matthew Stevens next in line. Just how Stevens managed not to win the competition between 2000 and 2005 is beyond me. He came to the Crucible every year and played superb snooker, but twice lost a 10-6 overnight lead in a final, and was edged out in some thrilling semi-finals as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

It's probably Stuart Bingham, although he was mighty in the year he did win.

I didn't say him because he had several more ranking wins than most of the other players mentioned.

So again, is a short spell "at the top" - with several victories - worse than many years at "the top" - with only one or two victories?

1 minute ago, chunky said:

I didn't say him because he had several more ranking wins than most of the other players mentioned.

So again, is a short spell "at the top" - with several victories - worse than many years at "the top" - with only one or two victories?

Can we really judge by ranking tournaments when there's now 20 per year and there was 1 at the start of the eighties and still only 6 when Joe Johnson was at his prime? 

Alex Higgins only ever won one ranking tournament (the 1982 World Championship) and he's a legend of the sport!

5 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Alex Higgins only ever won one ranking tournament (the 1982 World Championship) and he's a legend of the sport!

Or an odious, abusive, drunken sponge...whichever. ;)

Anyway, Jimmy has brought this final back from 0-4 to a final frame decider. Both he and Ken have played terribly!

Edited by June01

1 minute ago, June01 said:

Or an odious, abusive, drunken sponge...whichever. ;)

Or both!

Hideous man - incredible snooker player!  His 16-15 win over Davis from 0-7 down in the 1983 UK was sensational!

Edited by lucifer sam