British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

Wrong thread:rolleyes:

My bad.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

They'll go wherever they get paid most, and we'll see how quickly their principles last when cheque books get waved under their noses. :rolleyes:

And the same with the commentators/pundits who've spoken against it if they get the chance to be involved!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfsbane said:

My bad.

If you had the vaccine you wouldn't make mistakes :D

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I always felt that the Premiership would be a poisoned chalice for us.

Are you talking about football or speedway? :rofl:

Seriously though, as a fan of a "small" club myself, I know exactly where you are coming from. People who don't follow a small club don't really get it.

It doesn't matter how successful you/we become, we will never be "big" clubs. Even take a team like Leicester; it's impossible for them to compete with the "Big Six" (and a few others). You can have good seasons, and win titles, but there is no way to sustain that level.

On a couple of or Dons Facebook pages, I am sick of reading how we are "sh!t", and how this is "the worst team ever". No, we have a far better team now than when we were in the Combined Counties League. The trouble is we are not playing against Combined Counties teams... We are a third tier team (perhaps a poor third tier team), playing in the third tier. Yes, we have struggled since moving up to League One, but realistically, we weren't ready to be promoted.

When teams like Wimbledon, Bournemouth, Reading, Hull, Wigan etc, punch above our weight, it leads to unrealistic expectations, and when we fail to sustain that (inevitably because of infrastructure and lack of finances) we suddenly become "crap". Fans have to be realistic about who we are and what we are. I don't think it's coincidence that the most consistently successful teams around the world tend to come from the largest cities with the greatest areas of fan support.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, jrs said:

If you had the vaccine you wouldn't make mistakes :D

Matter of life and death, to copy all this stuff over from the groups before Blu does, ya know :D

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, chunky said:

Are you talking about football or speedway? :rofl:

Seriously though, as a fan of a "small" club myself, I know exactly where you are coming from. People who don't follow a small club don't really get it.

It doesn't matter how successful you/we become, we will never be "big" clubs. Even take a team like Leicester; it's impossible for them to compete with the "Big Six" (and a few others). You can have good seasons, and win titles, but there is no way to sustain that level.

On a couple of or Dons Facebook pages, I am sick of reading how we are "sh!t", and how this is "the worst team ever". No, we have a far better team now than when we were in the Combined Counties League. The trouble is we are not playing against Combined Counties teams... We are a third tier team (perhaps a poor third tier team), playing in the third tier. Yes, we have struggled since moving up to League One, but realistically, we weren't ready to be promoted.

When teams like Wimbledon, Bournemouth, Reading, Hull, Wigan etc, punch above our weight, it leads to unrealistic expectations, and when we fail to sustain that (inevitably because of infrastructure and lack of finances) we suddenly become "crap". Fans have to be realistic about who we are and what we are. I don't think it's coincidence that the most consistently successful teams around the world tend to come from the largest cities with the greatest areas of fan support.

personally i feel the Dons are punching above their weight, the longer we stay in league 1 is all good experience, but have the feeling it won't last too long .. when we were a yoyo team it was all experience and worked well for a while

8 minutes ago, stevehone said:

personally i feel the Dons are punching above their weight, the longer we stay in league 1 is all good experience, but have the feeling it won't last too long .. when we were a yoyo team it was all experience and worked well for a while

Exactly the way I feel, Steve. For me, success is staying in League One for the foreseeable future. Hopefully, we can build on that (I think we have an excellent youth system), and in three or four years, maybe make a push for promotion. Our past achievements don't count for anything right now, and we can't afford to rush anything.

:t:

Been fun to listen to all these hypocrites who have had their snout in the trough, many hiding in the background,  for the past 20 years, having their piss boiled by even greedier hypocrites who don't care who knows what they are about....:D

UEFA say it's a "spit in the face" for the fans...

So they too are pissed off because that is their role in football to do that....

Hypocrites being challenged by richer hypocrites...

39th game anyone? 

Semi Finals played at Wembley anyone?

Three lots of TV subscriptions to watch every game anyone? 

If only the fit and proper owners test existed... :D

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

My bad.

I'm "getting it" now

• Haha 2

EzWsuNnVEAAZDO2?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha 8

The differences between the amateur idealists from southern England and the increasingly professionalised teams from northern industrial towns came to a head in 1884. After Preston North End won an FA Cup match against Upton Park, the Londoners protested, seeking the result to be overturned due to the presence of paid players in the Preston ranks. This sparked a series of events which threatened to split the FA. Preston withdrew from the competition, and fellow Lancashire clubs Burnleyand Great Lever followed suit. The protest gathered momentum, to the point where more than 30 clubs, predominantly from the north, announced that they would set up a rival British Football Association if the FA did not permit professionalism.[13]18 months later the FA relented, and in July 1885 professionalism was formally legalised in England.[14][15]

Though English clubs employed professionals, the Scottish Football Association continued to forbid the practice. Consequently, many Scottish players migrated southward.

from Wikipedia 

• Like 1

I bet Murdoch wishes he'd bought Man United now instead of pulling out all those years ago

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Been fun to listen to all these hypocrites who have had their snout in the trough, many hiding in the background,  for the past 20 years, having their piss boiled by even greedier hypocrites who don't care who knows what they are about....:D

UEFA say it's a "spit in the face" for the fans...

So they too are pissed off because that is their role in football to do that....

Hypocrites being challenged by richer hypocrites...

39th game anyone? 

Semi Finals played at Wembley anyone?

Three lots of TV subscriptions to watch every game anyone? 

If only the fit and proper owners test existed... :D

The real question of course is how many of these pundits actually believe what they're saying and how many are coming out against it, as they want to be seen on the side of the fans?

As you say, they have no qualms in taking Sky's money or even worse splitting the market and taking BT Sport's money.

We had the same Chicken Little when the Premier League was launched and the Champion's League introduced. Life goes on. A bit of competition might actually shake up UEFA/FIFA.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

Here we go, as predicted.

'Booster shots'.

With spring-loaded boots?  :D

• Haha 1